Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 12:41 PM

15 posts, read 33,437 times

Advertisements

Careful with that gun stuff... guns don't belong in anyone's hand in the city unless they have been professionally trained. I'm not anti-gun, but you can get in a lot of trouble for having a gun in your hand or on your person when/where you shouldn't, and that's before you even pull the trigger.

According to state law in most of the country, you need to be in fear for your life before you even chamber a round. One thing proper gun training will teach you is that even if you're normally a good shot, when you're scared, your aim sucks. As in ten feet off the mark sucks. You're more likely to shoot your neighbor, your dog, or a nice hard object for ricochet than you are to hit that slender little coyote.

Pepper spray... you'll probably never need it, but carry it if it makes you feel better. Just be careful of wind direction when you use it. You don't want to get it yourself or hit your dog with it.

Here is why you won't need it for coyotes: They are scared of humans.
Human + Leashed Dog = even more scared.

I have had five close encounters with coyotes since last November. No joke, no exaggeration. I live by a park, connected to a greenway, bordering a railroad track (goes right by my house) and I have seen them from a distance 5 or 6 additional times in this period.

Four of the five actual run-ins were while walking or running with my dog. We are out in the late evening and before sunrise every day for a run/walk. He's not a big or intimidating dog at all (only 50 lbs. and super sweet), and I'm a pretty average sized person. Still, the coyotes want nothing to do with us.

The closest encounter (about 20 feet) was one that got scared down off the railroad tracks and into the park by a train. It didn't have the advantage of wind direction to inform it we were there, but we did. It kept right on trucking when it saw us, headed away toward the greenway. It stopped to look back once it was about 75 feet away, so we chased it. I want them to be afraid of humans and their animals, so we sprinted after it (as fast as I can anyway) and it took off like it had been shot at. It disappeared into the brush in the greenway and that was good enough for me.

The next closest was with three coyotes, two close and one at some distance. We heard them howling from way down the greenway, talking back and forth in that yip-howl thing they do. When we got to the area where they were, the two that were close were about 30 feet away, and the further was about 50 feet or so, and separated from the other two. I suspect some sort of courting/mating interaction was what we stumbled into. Once again we had a slight advantage on the wind direction (or we wouldn't have ever seen them I'm sure). The lone coyote took off back toward the railroad tracks, and the other two headed into the deep area in the greenway. The direction each of them chose was to get away from me and my dog in the most direct manner possible.

The other three run-ins were pretty similar. Even the time that I was alone, I had absolutely no doubt they were scared of me. There were two that time, and they both ran off (leaving the food they had dragged out of someone's trash) as soon as they saw me.

I'm not going to recommend anyone chase them, as you have to be absolutely sure they have several paths of escape or you could make them react defensively. Even if cornered though, they aren't going to come at you if you give them space and stare them down while moving to give them an escape route. Move smoothly and deliberately to sidestep until they have a way to escape.

As for rabies in coyotes, it's rare in this part of the country. Do some research - there is a lot of info about coyotes, and equally as much info about rabid animal behavior.

My dog only gets angry/agitated about them when we are at my house (his territory), but he is interested in a curious sort of way when we see or hear them at the park/greenway. He is very well trained and will respond to commands even in a distracting situation, but I keep him on his extension leash at night and before dawn, because the call of the wild can be quite strong, and you never really know. I also don't leave him out in the yard unattended.

Cats are pretty easy prey for coyotes, so I recommend keeping them inside, especially at night.

All that said, if you're a pro marksman with a suppressed rifle and you are sure you have safe backstop aim on a coyote (not a stray dog!) well... I sure won't call the Police on ya
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 01:59 PM

1,259 posts, read 1,583,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Campbell View Post
Careful with that gun stuff... guns don't belong in anyone's hand in the city unless they have been professionally trained. I'm not anti-gun, but you can get in a lot of trouble for having a gun in your hand or on your person when/where you shouldn't, and that's before you even pull the trigger.

According to state law in most of the country, you need to be in fear for your life before you even chamber a round. One thing proper gun training will teach you is that even if you're normally a good shot, when you're scared, your aim sucks. As in ten feet off the mark sucks. You're more likely to shoot your neighbor, your dog, or a nice hard object for ricochet than you are to hit that slender little coyote.

Pepper spray... you'll probably never need it, but carry it if it makes you feel better. Just be careful of wind direction when you use it. You don't want to get it yourself or hit your dog with it.

Here is why you won't need it for coyotes: They are scared of humans.
Human + Leashed Dog = even more scared.

I have had five close encounters with coyotes since last November. No joke, no exaggeration. I live by a park, connected to a greenway, bordering a railroad track (goes right by my house) and I have seen them from a distance 5 or 6 additional times in this period.

Four of the five actual run-ins were while walking or running with my dog. We are out in the late evening and before sunrise every day for a run/walk. He's not a big or intimidating dog at all (only 50 lbs. and super sweet), and I'm a pretty average sized person. Still, the coyotes want nothing to do with us.

The closest encounter (about 20 feet) was one that got scared down off the railroad tracks and into the park by a train. It didn't have the advantage of wind direction to inform it we were there, but we did. It kept right on trucking when it saw us, headed away toward the greenway. It stopped to look back once it was about 75 feet away, so we chased it. I want them to be afraid of humans and their animals, so we sprinted after it (as fast as I can anyway) and it took off like it had been shot at. It disappeared into the brush in the greenway and that was good enough for me.

The next closest was with three coyotes, two close and one at some distance. We heard them howling from way down the greenway, talking back and forth in that yip-howl thing they do. When we got to the area where they were, the two that were close were about 30 feet away, and the further was about 50 feet or so, and separated from the other two. I suspect some sort of courting/mating interaction was what we stumbled into. Once again we had a slight advantage on the wind direction (or we wouldn't have ever seen them I'm sure). The lone coyote took off back toward the railroad tracks, and the other two headed into the deep area in the greenway. The direction each of them chose was to get away from me and my dog in the most direct manner possible.

The other three run-ins were pretty similar. Even the time that I was alone, I had absolutely no doubt they were scared of me. There were two that time, and they both ran off (leaving the food they had dragged out of someone's trash) as soon as they saw me.

I'm not going to recommend anyone chase them, as you have to be absolutely sure they have several paths of escape or you could make them react defensively. Even if cornered though, they aren't going to come at you if you give them space and stare them down while moving to give them an escape route. Move smoothly and deliberately to sidestep until they have a way to escape.

As for rabies in coyotes, it's rare in this part of the country. Do some research - there is a lot of info about coyotes, and equally as much info about rabid animal behavior.

My dog only gets angry/agitated about them when we are at my house (his territory), but he is interested in a curious sort of way when we see or hear them at the park/greenway. He is very well trained and will respond to commands even in a distracting situation, but I keep him on his extension leash at night and before dawn, because the call of the wild can be quite strong, and you never really know. I also don't leave him out in the yard unattended.

Cats are pretty easy prey for coyotes, so I recommend keeping them inside, especially at night.

All that said, if you're a pro marksman with a suppressed rifle and you are sure you have safe backstop aim on a coyote (not a stray dog!) well... I sure won't call the Police on ya

Key word is normally shy. They have been aggressive in the past, and you never know when you might find a rabid one. Heck a guy in PA got rabies from a deer, this deer season Now thats rare, but still happens. Last thing I would ever do is chase after one.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:53 PM

84 posts, read 152,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Are they usually that aggressive? I thought they were pretty shy when it comes to human contact. Maybe I am wrong . . . Just seems to me I would have to be too close for comfort in order to spray 'em . . . maybe shoot 'em first and if they charge, then spray 'em.

hahaha thanks and rep'ed! lol

Old 02-07-2012, 07:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Just heard about this and thought I would share the info:

Coyote hunting could be expanded in N.C.

At a time of increasing complaints from urban residents across the Southeast about the increasing coyote population, the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission is proposing that coyotes -- along with feral pigs -- could be hunted at night.

It is not clear how the proposal would affect residents in Charlotte and other urban areas, where the use of firearms and archery equipment is limited by law.
Coyote hunting is legal in North Carolina, with no limits, except that it must take place during daytime.

The wildlife division's proposal comes at a time when Mecklenburg County officials are trying to get a better idea of where coyotes live, and just how much of a problem they really are. A number of coyote-on-dog attacks have been reported in recent months across the Charlotte area.

Old 02-08-2012, 07:44 AM

321 posts, read 880,036 times
I'm sure this has been said before and, it really is just common sense, but please.... keep an eye on your pets!! Coyotes are afraid of humans? Not if they are hungry or rabid. I see a dog every day on my walk through a neighboring subdivision who is chained all day, every day (don't even get me started on THAT!) and I wonder what kind of chance that poor dog will have if a coyote comes upon him? He is chained all the way at the back of a long yard...who knows if anyone is at home, but by the time they got to him it would be too late. I need to look into the tethering/chaining laws here (Wesley Chapel, Union County). We just moved here so I am unfamiliar.

Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 AM

211 posts, read 501,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just heard about this and thought I would share the info:

Coyote hunting could be expanded in N.C.

At a time of increasing complaints from urban residents across the Southeast about the increasing coyote population, the N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission is proposing that coyotes -- along with feral pigs -- could be hunted at night.

It is not clear how the proposal would affect residents in Charlotte and other urban areas, where the use of firearms and archery equipment is limited by law.
Coyote hunting is legal in North Carolina, with no limits, except that it must take place during daytime.

The wildlife division's proposal comes at a time when Mecklenburg County officials are trying to get a better idea of where coyotes live, and just how much of a problem they really are. A number of coyote-on-dog attacks have been reported in recent months across the Charlotte area.
this is GREAT NEWS! anyone want to come to Plaza Midwood?

Old 02-08-2012, 09:44 AM

159 posts, read 335,042 times
I've live in NoDa all my life before it was known as NoDa, I think it's weird to see wildlife like in neighboring Plaza-Midwood. However a friend of mine did say she saw deer in the Belmont neighborhood of all places and Belmont is one of the densest areas of Charlotte.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:45 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,350,760 times
One night in 1999 , I was headed for the bus stop from my aunt's house on Tuckaseegee , and this puma sauntered across the street , casually. I was with my cousin , who saw this as well , and the only way for shared hallucinations is a telepathic link. This was between downtown and Freedom , which was especially surprising. Albeit , it was about 12:30 in the morning at the time.

Old 02-08-2012, 10:53 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Ya'll should check out the resources on this page including a sighting report feature.

Coyote Study

Old 02-09-2012, 12:13 AM

98 posts, read 200,422 times
Default A side note to firearms...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Campbell View Post

Just a side note here---NC state law is open carry except where posted or when eating at a place that sells alcohol (and obviously government buildings/etc). Yes, one should have some form of training before carrying a gun of any sort but it is not illegal to carry in NC. Of course there are laws surrounding that that protect our rights as humans. Go to your local gun range and take a class, brush up on all the NC laws, never stop training, and don't be afraid to use it if needed (coyotes or people either way). #justmy2cents
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte