Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 01:36 PM

468 posts, read 828,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
That town is a dump. We eat there every year on the way to Wilmington
Something doesn't sound right with this statement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 01:45 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,672,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I worked for a criminal defense attorney in NJ and one of the things I counseled clients on was proper dress and attire when going before the judge. No, it didn't matter how minor the offense was, the bottom line is when the judge looks at a client, we wanted him or her to see someone they'd have over for dinner not someone they'd forbid their daughter from dating. Yes, of course, outward appearances do matter. But I must say, the judge sounds like a complete a$$. Of course, you should have been dressed appropriately but what he did was unnecessary.

Like you, I went into court in Union County earlier this month and I was overdressed. On a regular day I am a jeans and t-shirt girl but, going into a courtroom is another story. The courtroom was packed and ultimately, I never even saw the judge. But that being said, I was appalled by the number of head scarves, bared midriffs, sagging jeans, etc. A whole lot of people needed some serious lessons in proper attire when going before a judge. Interestingly, he never commented on anyone's appearance, regardless of how inappropriate.

But thanks for sharing your story! It's a reminder to me that when I go back to court this upcoming Friday, not to think I can slack one bit, regardless of what everyone else looks like!
most people in court are hard headed... when I had to go to court in rural Kentucky I found out Meth is a hell of a drug.

No one could pay a fine, do community service, or get a job... and they all knew each other and waved as they walked up to see the judge like it was the price is right.

Old 01-25-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
That must be some great food or she must be a pretty waitress.

Old 01-25-2012, 06:09 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,288,119 times
Quote:
Not really, Whiteville is "any small town" America with a quaint little downtown, throw back neighborhoods, and an old cinema. Two golf courses that are hidden gems, and several scattered on the back roads of Columbus and Brunswick counties, and South Carolina as you migrate towards the beach areas of both states.

I miss easy access to the beach, fresh seafood and always enjoy going home....peaceful, tranquil and will probably retire to Brunswick County (one of the fastest growing counties in NC)...cost is beginning to soar.

Ok, another must stop..Dales Seafood (on the Lake) in Lake Waccamaw, just off US 74 between Whiteville and Wilmington: Dale's Seafood, Lake Waccamaw, NC : Reviews and maps - Yahoo! Local - Calabash style.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:25 PM

6,032 posts, read 9,224,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
If you can't do the time, don't do the crime! Drive safe.
what a douche answer...

Old 01-25-2012, 09:23 PM

1,908 posts, read 4,987,541 times
Sounds like the judge was just full of himself! He abused his power and batted you around like a cat would a mouse. Your only "crime" that day was being late and it dosen't sound like they were ready for you anyway. Maybe that 'Judge Judy' isn't such a nut job after all.
Tomorrow's another day! Put that one far behind you and spread cheer.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:32 PM

373 posts, read 779,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
Your only "crime" that day was being late
I was tecnically late but not really.
Unfortunately, I have spent enough time in traffic court in my life to know that they tell you to be there at 9am and the Judge never shows up until 10am. I calculated that I had the thirty minutes to give and that should be ok. The Judge did not feel that way, however.
Truthfully, I could not nor would not have changed pulling over to take that nap on the way there. For the safety of other drivers and myself, I knew I would not have made it all the way without falling asleep at the wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Yep, hiring a local Columbus county attorney to represent you would have been your best defense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Anyway, you should've posted something earlier, I'm from Columbus County and know several lawyers that could've saved you a lot of time and headache.
Part of my reasoning for not choosing to go with a lawyer, besides trying to save money, was that the speeding ticket listed me going more than 20mph over the speed limit which made it a mandatory court appearance according to the officer who pulled me over. I even called the court house and spoke with someone to confirm this and they did in fact state it was mandatory. I don't know if the more than 20 mph mandatory court appearance is a statewide rule or is specific to Columbus County.
As far as my second scheduled court date, It may be possible a lawyer could have represented me without my presence in the court room but really have no idea.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:14 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,720,676 times
I'm with Doorway. Good advice and consider yourself lucky. No points and only $130.

AND you get rights on talking about the buffoon judge and his laughing clowns.
Would make a good sketch:" The 3 stooges in charge of traffic court meet 'short pants' "

Old 01-26-2012, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesecracker View Post
I was tecnically late but not really.
Unfortunately, I have spent enough time in traffic court in my life to know that they tell you to be there at 9am and the Judge never shows up until 10am. I calculated that I had the thirty minutes to give and that should be ok.
Wait... why have you spent so much time in traffic court?

I have no idea if judges get a transcript of a drivers court history but maybe he was being difficult because you spend so much time in traffic court and still showed up in shorts...

Old 01-26-2012, 07:36 AM

7,079 posts, read 12,367,402 times
I decided a long time ago that Wilmington just wasn't worth the trip anymore (Charleston IMO is far more interesting and closer). Thanks OP for confirming what I had figured out years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte