Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2018, 05:03 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian14A View Post
Yea, and make sure you are being consistent because Charlotte's 14 County CSA does basically the same thing you are complaining about Atlanta does. Charlotte's CSA stretches all the way from just 2 counties away from the Virginia state line (Alexander County, NC...really???)... all the way down into four SC Counties (Chesterfield County, SC...seriously??) If you were to whittle away all the "rural Trump voting counties you'd never live in" from Charlotte's CSA, you would be (1) left with just Mecklenburg County and (2) Charlotte's metro would fall from 2.7 million to under 2 million.

Have a problem with CSA? Ok consider this. I doubt you would dispute Fulton, Cobb, Dekalb and Gwinnett are a true part of Atlanta's metro, amirite?? Ok, here are the populations of those counties:

Fulton: 1,041,000
Gwinnett: 920,000
Cobb: 755,000
Dekalb: 753,000

Now here's the population of the Charlotte region's largest county and the region's 2nd largest county:

Mecklenberg: 1,076,000
York: 266,000

Got that? The immediate Atlanta area has not 1, not 2, not 3 but 4 Counties at or approaching 1 million people. In the entire Charlotte region there is only 1 county at or even close to 1 million. So you can throw out your Atlanta CSA map if you want, there is STILL no comparison of Charlotte to Atlanta.

I didn’t ready 80% of this post.

To be fair. I am a very “Great State of Mecklenburg” type of person who didn’t consider any of the other counties as “one of us.” There are lots (not on this message board) who think very low of the counties surrounding Meck. So I agree with you. I can’t be bothered with Lincoln county, etc.

But you’re the one crowing about CSA numbers. If it were Washington or Raleigh, I get it. But for ATL? All those states boarding Alabama seem as irrelevant and backwater as this chesterfield county you speak of. Whatever that is.

Somehow Triangle & Charlotte pull N.C. farther to the left than ATL does with GA.

Im not even sure why you’re being a size queen. There are valid reasons to choose CLT over ATL. The very reason might be because it’s smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2018, 08:16 PM

65 posts, read 69,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I didn’t ready 80% of this post.

To be fair. I am a very “Great State of Mecklenburg” type of person who didn’t consider any of the other counties as “one of us.” There are lots (not on this message board) who think very low of the counties surrounding Meck. So I agree with you. I can’t be bothered with Lincoln county, etc.

But you’re the one crowing about CSA numbers. If it were Washington or Raleigh, I get it. But for ATL? All those states boarding Alabama seem as irrelevant and backwater as this chesterfield county you speak of. Whatever that is.

Somehow Triangle & Charlotte pull N.C. farther to the left than ATL does with GA.

Im not even sure why you’re being a size queen. There are valid reasons to choose CLT over ATL. The very reason might be because it’s smaller.
Yourself and others were making size queen related comments and comparisons between the 2 cities, I just joined in.

What's "Great State of Mecklenburg"? Where did that come from? What does that mean? Is that related to size? Because according to Wikipedia, only 4,634 separate NC's two largest counties, they are affectively the same size. If Wake were to pass Mecklenburg by the next census would it then be the "Great State of Wake"?

Mecklenburg County - 1,076,837
Wake County - 1,072,203

Last edited by Sebastian14A; 09-12-2018 at 08:29 PM..

Old 09-12-2018, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Yourself and others were making size queen related comments and comparisons between the 2 cities, I just joined in.

What's "Great State of Mecklenburg"? Where did that come from? What does that mean? Is that related to size? Because according to Wikipedia, only 4,634 separate NC's two largest counties, they are affectively the same size. If Wake were to pass Mecklenburg by the next census would it then be the "Great State of Wake"?

Mecklenburg County - 1,076,837
Wake County - 1,072,203

If you don’t know what “Great State of Mecklenburg” references, it just shows you’re much too clueless about Charlotte to be posting on it.

It doesn’t reference size at all.

Wake County could be 10 Billion and it wouldn’t fit the meaning of “Great State of Wake.”

You obviously can use Wikipedia. That’s fabulous. But other than Wikipedia, which FYI you couldn’t even use as a source in a middle school report, you’re showing how clueless you are. Which isn’t a bad thing except you keep asserting things and rambling about things you know nothing about.

Every single post you’ve made has been on this single topic. It must really trigger you? I tend not to care about things I don’t care about

Old 09-12-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
If you don’t know what “Great State of Mecklenburg†references, it just shows you’re much too clueless about Charlotte to be posting on it.

It doesn’t reference size at all.

Wake County could be 10 Billion and it wouldn’t fit the meaning of “Great State of Wake.â€

You obviously can use Wikipedia. That’s fabulous. But other than Wikipedia, which FYI you couldn’t even use as a source in a middle school report, you’re showing how clueless you are. Which isn’t a bad thing except you keep asserting things and rambling about things you know nothing about.

Every single post you’ve made has been on this single topic. It must really trigger you? I tend not to care about things I don’t care about
Soooooo....you have no idea where "Great State of Mecklenburg" comes from. Got it. Thanks. Why didn't you just say so instead of getting triggered?

PS - Wikipedia sourced the US Census Bureau. Apparently they know where what they post comes from, LOL!

Old 09-12-2018, 08:55 PM

Slightly off topic, but for anyone who wants to know the origination of “The Great State of Mecklenburgâ€

This discuses it.
This Old State: More on 'The Great State of Meck':

A snip of it:

Quote:

“Mr. Culpepper,
don't you think it unfair that my district (Mecklenburg) sends more tax dollars - sales tax, income
tax, inheritance tax - to Raleigh than all of your counties combined on the Albemarle Sound send
to the capitol?....that Mecklenburg is a 'donor county' while your little counties are 'donee' counties?"
Culpepper, caught off guard, quickly recovered, replying: "If you Mecklenburg people think you are
so ***/** big, why not just set up your own state?" Vogler, not to be outdone by the rep from down
East, finished the argument by saying: "We have this under continued consideration....". The debate
closed and the question was called.

I can recall many other occasions when the Mecklenburg quip was mentioned on the floor. Perhaps
Jimmy Greene, later as Speaker, often said when presiding: "For what purpose this time does the
Great State of Mecklenburg desire to be recognized?" The reply from some member of the delegation:
"To suspend the rules so that the Speaker might have a smoke!" So it went, session after session.

Great State of Mecklenburg simply refers to Mecklenburg County as being in its own little world. Even within the metro, Mecklenburg is at odds with the very next door counties. Mecklenburg is very different, politically and culturally, from the very counties that surround it. The most open fight between Charlotte and it’s sureounding counties was over the airport authority where The surrounding counties and governor would all have a member appointed to the airport with CLT and Mecklenburg having a combined 2 or 3 members on the proposed airport authority. The city sued and for a restraining order. Charlotte threatened to back out of all regional partnerships. There has always been a clear disconnect between the immediate counties, but that was by far the most contentious and severe strain on the relationship with our neighboring counties

The airport authority court drama eventually rules the FAA would have to make the decision.... it just so happened within that time frame, the Charlotte mayor fighting the airport authority became the Secretary of Transportation lol. And well, guess who the FAA reports to.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Slightly off topic, but for anyone who wants to know the origination of “The Great State of Mecklenburg”

This discuses it.

A snip of it:

Great State of Mecklenburg simply refers to Mecklenburg County as being in its own little world. Even within the metro, Mecklenburg is at odds with the very next door counties. Mecklenburg is very different, politically and culturally, from the very counties that surround it. The most open fight between Charlotte and it’s sureounding counties was over the airport authority where The surrounding counties and governor would all have a member appointed to the airport with CLT and Mecklenburg having a combined 2 or 3 members on the proposed airport authority. The city sued and for a restraining order. Charlotte threatened to back out of all regional partnerships. There has always been a clear disconnect between the immediate counties, but that was by far the most contentious and severe strain on the relationship with our neighboring counties

The airport authority court drama eventually rules the FAA would have to make the decision.... it just so happened within that time frame, the Charlotte mayor fighting the airport authority became the Secretary of Transportation lol. And well, guess who the FAA reports to.
See, you could have just said that before instead of getting triggered

Old 09-12-2018, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Soooooo....you have no idea where "Great State of Mecklenburg" comes from. Got it. Thanks. Why didn't you just say so instead of getting triggered?

PS - Wikipedia sourced the US Census Bureau. Apparently they know where what they post comes from, LOL!

Sweet heart.... I was born and raised in Charlotte. I was a Presby baby. Maybe wikipedia can tell you what that is. I’ve worked in BofA Corp. I’ve went to all the parades, been to every signifanct thing. Seen most of the civic Leaders. I’ve seen and done it all.... big & small. From sitting in the **** pit of US Air, my mother being evacuated from the Government Center (she worked There) in 9-11. From seeing 485 built, from attending the memorial of the US Airways Dash 8 that crashed into the airport hanger, DNC 2012, eating the last day at The Penguin, attending the unveiling of the Bobcats and Hornets 2.0.... among many many other Charlotte things

You read Wikipedia about a city you don’t know. And want to act like an expert on the topic, lolz. Meanwhile, the rest of us actually live here or are thinking of living here or have some reason to be posting In the Charlotte forum.

And read below. Why would I mention something I don’t know?

Quote:
Slightly off topic, but for anyone who wants to know the origination of “The Great State of Mecklenburg”

This discuses it.

A snip of it:

Edit: Another useless fact about me: I still have my certificate from US Air for
Being the youngest flyer. Flight was Charlotte > Houston.

Now go wikipedia Charlotte some more.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Sweet heart.... I was born and raised in Charlotte. I was a Presby baby. Maybe wikipedia can tell you what that is. I’ve worked in BofA Corp. I’ve went to all the parades, been to every signifanct thing. Seen most of the civic Leaders. I’ve seen and done it all.... big & small. From sitting in the **** pit of US Air, my mother being evacuated from the Government Center (she worked There) in 9-11. From seeing 485 built, from attending the memorial of the US Airways Dash 8 that crashed into the airport hanger, DNC 2012, eating the last day at The Penguin, attending the unveiling of the Bobcats and Hornets 2.0.... among many many other Charlotte things

You read Wikipedia about a city you don’t know. And want to act like an expert on the topic, lolz. Meanwhile, the rest of us actually live here or are thinking of living here or have some reason to be posting In the Charlotte forum.

And read below. Why would I mention something I don’t know?

Edit: Another useless fact about me: I still have my certificate from US Air for
Being the youngest flyer. Flight was Charlotte > Houston.

Now go wikipedia Charlotte some more.
Did you go to Jim and Tammyland growing up? Did you go to Billy Graham's funeral? Isn't there a televangelist museum there for Billy Graham, do you go to that? Don't you even have a major road there named after Billy Graham? Will Charlotte name a road for Franklin Graham too? A major road there is also named after a stock car racer, no? And a stock car museum, do you go to that after church? Don't ya'll even have those big mega churches there? One has some pastor who looks like a leather queen, LOL! What's up with that?

Churches, televangelists, NASCAR....and banks! Sign me up! Move over Atlanta!

I've heard Charlotte describe by someone who live there as "one big church"..."banky, necky and boring". He couldn't wait to get out. I haven't lived there but he has and that's what he said. (That didn't come from wikipedia )

Last edited by Sebastian14A; 09-12-2018 at 10:47 PM..

Old 09-13-2018, 01:27 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
The most open fight between Charlotte and it’s sureounding counties was over the airport authority where The surrounding counties and governor would all have a member appointed to the airport with CLT and Mecklenburg having a combined 2 or 3 members on the proposed airport authority. The city sued and for a restraining order. Charlotte threatened to back out of all regional partnerships. There has always been a clear disconnect between the immediate counties, but that was by far the most contentious and severe strain on the relationship with our neighboring counties

That "fight" was more about Charlotte vs this current regressive state legislature more than anything. So much for Charlotte and the Triangle pulling NC more to the left versus GA..historically that might have been true but not this decade. For instance, NC basically handed GA the burgeoning film industry on a silver platter and GA has zoomed ahead and not even looked back. Also GA's legislature has (unsuccessfully) been trying to wrest ATL from the city's hands for years but NC's legislature was able to do that in short order to CLT. Its only saving grace was FAA updating its policy which favored the city retaining control of CLT.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:32 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Did you go to Jim and Tammyland growing up? Did you go to Billy Graham's funeral? Isn't there a televangelist museum there for Billy Graham, do you go to that? Don't you even have a major road there named after Billy Graham? Will Charlotte name a road for Franklin Graham too? A major road there is also named after a stock car racer, no? And a stock car museum, do you go to that after church? Don't ya'll even have those big mega churches there? One has some pastor who looks like a leather queen, LOL! What's up with that?

Churches, televangelists, NASCAR....and banks! Sign me up! Move over Atlanta!

I've heard Charlotte describe by someone who live there as "one big church"..."banky, necky and boring". He couldn't wait to get out. I haven't lived there but he has and that's what he said. (That didn't come from wikipedia )
Ha! Had a friend recently move from Charlotte to Atlanta (can't wait to move back). He hates it there...says it's ghetto, ghetto, redneck, traffic, then housewives of Atlanta...then more ghetto, ghetto, then housewives of Atlanta. We all have friends with opinions...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte