Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,289,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Tysonsengineer does not live in Charlotte (according to his profile and posts). I believe he resides in the DC area has desires to move to Charlotte based on his belief that he can be a successful planner, engineer, or whatever. Best of luck. But he has never respnded to my posts about patterns of migration and sprawl in the suburb and outer suburbs of Charlotte based on school enrollment, acheivement, and demographic patterns. 25 years from now when Union County has a population 400K people and U City is a slum, West Charlotte (already a slum) and E. Charlotte becomes a slum give me call then.
Well, I've lived in both Charlotte and DC. Charlotte's pattern of migration is following suit to that of Atlantas and DCs with huge developments around the ring highways. However, Charlotte does have/had a chance of emphasizing smarter "affordable" urban development given it's in a sort of puberty phase compared to the larger sun-belt metros. Note the word affordable. Creating an attractive, cosmopolitan and vibrant downtown is based on many factors but most important is affordability so people from all walks of life that favor living in an urban environment have the ability to do so.

U City a slum in 25 years? Not with an expanding university in that area and hopefully a connection to downtown via light rail that will ultimately spur TOD development.

Every city has areas of blight and tough neighborhoods so attacking or labeling West Charlotte as a "slum" is par for the course; well, in comparison to parts of Atlanta and DC.

And since we're tossing credentials (completing doctorate in engineering part-time...ABD, nasty dissertation)...this forum gives me an opportunity to vent late night and early morning......the dissertation has become my night life or nightmare. But as the great Dennis Kimbro once stated "just because I have a doctrate's degree doesn't mean I'm smarter than you, it means I have more credit hours"....so true.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 04-08-2012 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 11:38 PM

221 posts, read 431,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Lol i lived in University City for most of my life and if Hickory Tavern is YOUR only idea of nightlife than there is no hope for you. Do you mean dance clubs and lounges or just nightlife? I'm sorry i can't name EVERY thing to do at night, i am too busy having fun. There area plenty of restaurants,bars, lounges, strip clubs, Movies from the lake to Concord Mills to University Blvd..Man you really need to get out more. Please check out Creative Loafing, Charlotte's Got Alot website, and others. Please stop bashing and get out more

Nightlife in University City and Concord? What a joke. April Fool's Day was last week!

Old 04-09-2012, 12:01 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,051,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocNY View Post
Nightlife in University City and Concord? What a joke. April Fool's Day was last week!
I don't believe you are from NYC....You seem to have too much free time on your hands

Old 04-09-2012, 10:09 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,845,499 times
The bottom line is, fun people make their fun wherever they are. Boring people will be bored wherever they are.

As has been noted, numerous times on these kinds of threads, Charlotte is not Atlanta - and that's a GOOD thing to most of us, we don't want it to be.

The reality is...

Both cities have much to offer.

Both cities have a lot to be proud of.

Both cities have fun venues/places to enjoy yourself.

It's not a contest, and I sure wish people would quit trying to make it one.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:58 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,289,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I don't believe you are from NYC....You seem to have too much free time on your hands
LOL, it's a rather strange thing isn't it? It's almost psychotic with some of these posters - continual dribble about the lack of things to do here yet addicted to the Charlotte forum message board.

I guess it hard for some folk to accept the factthat a lot of people prefer Charlotte - regardless of all that Atlanta has to offer.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:20 PM

15,357 posts, read 12,676,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
LOL, it's a rather strange thing isn't it? It's almost psychotic with some of these posters - continual dribble about the lack of things to do here yet addicted to the Charlotte forum message board.

I guess it hard for some folk to accept the factthat a lot of people prefer Charlotte - regardless of all that Atlanta has to offer.
I think some people leave Charlotte with a bitter taste and expect everyone else to feel the same way....Why else would a person spend time in a Charlotte forum?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:33 PM

18 posts, read 30,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's not a contest, and I sure wish people would quit trying to make it one.
This.

Old 04-10-2012, 12:29 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,976,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

I've never understood that either! The same usual suspects always seem to come out the woodwork when it comes to bashing Charlotte! If those places are supposed to be so much better than Charlotte, you'd figure they would be living it up more instead of trolling the Charlotte forum to take cheap shots @ little ole' Charlotte!

Old 10-24-2012, 11:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,754 times
"Atlanta is Larger than Charlotte?" l0l I just have to comment to those who think that. First of all, I'm a 26 y/o, well traveled Charlotte native. Now, I love Atl as I do Charlotte. But, Atlanta, GA is not larger than Charlotte, NC. Those of you who think that are thinking about the "Metro Area" of Atl, and not the "city" itself. Stop thinking about Gwinnette, Dekalb, Cobb county, etc that makes up "Atlanta Metro Area." Atl may shadow Charlotte in some ways. But in the way in question, it dose not. If you Compare the two "cities," those of you who think otherwize will see by population and land mast, Charlotte, NC is larger than Atlanta, GA. One can drive from downtown Atl for like 20-30 minutes and start to notice different police cars. Witch can only mean 1 of 3 things, "you are now in a different police distrect, you have reached the end of Atlanta's city limit, or you are no longer in Fulton County." ....Do your reserch, ppl.

Last edited by Ontario26; 10-24-2012 at 11:59 PM..

Old 10-25-2012, 12:07 AM

85 posts, read 185,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario26 View Post
"Atlanta is Larger than Charlotte?" l0l I just have to comment to those who think that. First of all, I'm a 26 y/o, well traveled Charlotte native. Now, I love Atl as I do Charlotte. But, Atlanta, GA is not larger than Charlotte, NC. Those of you who think that are thinking about the "Metro Area" of Atl, and not the "city" itself. Stop thinking about Gwinnette, Dekalb, Cobb county, etc that makes up "Atlanta Metro Area." Atl may shadow Charlotte in some ways. But in the way in question, it dose not. If you Compare the two "cities," those of you who think otherwize will see by population and land mast, Charlotte, NC is larger than Atlanta, GA. One can drive from downtown Atl for like 20-30 minutes and start to notice different police cars. Witch can only mean 1 of 3 things, "you are now in a different police distrect, you have reached the end of Atlanta's city limit, or you are no longer in Fulton County." ....Do your reserch, ppl.

Another truly ignorant Charlotte booster!

Land mast? otherwize?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte