Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 07:20 PM

59 posts, read 72,316 times

Advertisements

Where would be a great spot for it??

Last edited by alwaysgreatful; 09-10-2015 at 08:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 07:30 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,070,151 times
Tell me more about your restaurant. Who is the ideal customer? What are the prices on the menu? When you say a smoke house joint, what are you describing? What will make your bbq different/better than the other choices in town? Full pig? Shoulder? Hickory? Gas? Chopped? What's the name? Can you be mobile?

There is a lot of history of good and bad barbecue in Charlotte. One BBQ fact I love about the city is that we were the first documented barbecue stand. A researcher in Charleston scoured newspapers and the oldest advertisement for BBQ was in Charlotte - arguably making us the first in the state to serve it commercially. Kind of surprising when you consider that Charlotte's reputation in the BBQ game is low.

https://www.southernfoodways.org/mr-...ue-restaurant/

Personally, I wouldn't enter the BBQ business in Charlotte. It seems saturated to me. We don't have a reputation for good BBQ, but it is all over. There are a lot of places (Landmark recently) that have gone out of business for various reasons.

If I was absolutely forced to pick somewhere to place a restaurant, I think I would find wherever the newest McDonalds/Wendys was being built outside of 485 and try to set up next door. Would be totally dependent on how cheap I could get the land. You don't need a big mortgage payment trying to start a restaurant. That monthly bill can kill you! The big chains use all sort of analysis and modeling to predict growth. They spend all kinds of money on demographic research. If you could find a cheap lot next to one of their new locations, then just win that 1:1 battle, I think you could survive.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:49 AM

777 posts, read 2,568,830 times
South Charlotte is severely underserved for good BBQ. We have Midwood Smokehouse and some other blah BBQ places. Unfortunately rent in that area is high which is sadly why there are few non-corporate/chains out that way.

With all the new housing construction about to start on at Providence and 485, a real BBQ joint would do a killing out there.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
South Charlotte is severely underserved for good BBQ. We have Midwood Smokehouse and some other blah BBQ places. Unfortunately rent in that area is high which is sadly why there are few non-corporate/chains out that way.

With all the new housing construction about to start on at Providence and 485, a real BBQ joint would do a killing out there.
Q-Shack BBQ in Charlotte, NC is right there. The fact that it's easy to forget is a reason I think the OP should tread carefully.

Profiting in the BBQ business is tough when rent is so high.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:36 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,698,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysgreatful View Post
Where would be a great spot for it??
Do you want to be in the city or the suburbs?

Old 09-11-2015, 09:10 AM

777 posts, read 2,568,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Q-Shack BBQ in Charlotte, NC is right there. The fact that it's easy to forget is a reason I think the OP should tread carefully.

Profiting in the BBQ business is tough when rent is so high.
I didn't forget it, it's just not very good and falls into the blah category. I have never seen it crowded. Midwood in Ballantyne on the other hand, is an hour wait on a Friday.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:52 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,636,151 times
Best BBQ in Charlotte at the moment. Little known by transplants.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 AM

I knew there would be something we could agree on!

Bodrick's is good indeed. If you ever get to Ayden, NC, my favorite is Pete Jones Skylight Inn.

My very biased top 3 ranking is:

Skylight Inn - Ayden
B's - Greenville
Allen & Sons - Hillsborough

All good for different reasons.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I didn't forget it, it's just not very good and falls into the blah category. I have never seen it crowded. Midwood in Ballantyne on the other hand, is an hour wait on a Friday.
Gotcha. Sounded like you were saying there weren't any places nearby. I definitely didn't remember the Q shack.

While Midwood is pretty good, I think 'blah' is the first thought that comes to mind for any new BBQ joint. After you've had good BBQ around the state, you start to realize that the older, more rickety and worn down a place is, the more qualified it often is as a BBQ establishment. Not necessarily an automatic qualifier, but the best bbq I've had is in some of the least structurally sound establishments.

'Blah' is a good word to describe a lot of Charlotte problems with authenticity and lack of character neighborhoods. I hope it improves over time. Nothing wrong with 'blah'. Just less interesting.

If I were opening a BBQ place I would want to find a cheap way to retrofit a very old building/shack - but not too much. Signs of age are a good thing when it comes to a BBQ joint.

Good luck to the OP if they open a restaurant. It's the toughest business to make profitable and requires a lot of investment of time/energy/stress. If you do it, let us know where you are and I will be sure to try some. And please- remember - here in NC, it's about the meat, not the sauce. Of course, if you're trying to win over transplants, this rule may not apply.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:54 PM

372 posts, read 723,822 times
Quote:
Midwood in Ballantyne on the other hand, is an hour wait on a Friday.
And it's only been opened now a little over a month.

Same with their original Central Ave location. Also proves it's not about the exterior (Which just happens to be modern) but about the food.

For me, if I can't get back east, it's either:

Mac's

Midwood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte