Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 12:04 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,724,634 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I posted something similar on the Denver thread and thought I'd also do it here. I was wondering if anyone could help me compare Charlotte with Denver. Has anyone moved from Denver to Charlotte or vice verse? What are some of the most noticable differences? Similarities?

I might be a little biased having lived in Charlotte in the late 90s. My wife and I loved living there and never thought we would leave, but I got a job offer in AZ that I couldn't refuse. Now, that job is over and we (ok, I!) am looking at possibly relocating to NC or Colorado. I would not take place for another three years so I am just doing early due diligence!

Pros: I know and love NC! Still have many good friends there who we maintained contact with over the years who would love to see us come back. Love the southern lifestyle, hospitality and being able to drive to the mountains and the coast! I also like the fact that from Charlotte we have access to other major cities within a reasonable drive.
Cons: Our daughters were raised out West and love it. It's home to them and we don't want to be too far away from them. Also, having lived out West we got used to not having to deal with humidity (other than our monsoon season).

Again, we have only visited Denver but really liked what we experienced. However, visiting a place and living there are two different things. What appeals to me about Denver is:
The city life! The Western lifestyle and arid climate, it's not far from the Rockies and plentiful outdoor activities.

Cons: Not sure about the snow or winters. The state is landlocked. That's it for now. I look forward to your feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 07:21 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Since no one bothered to reply to your post. I will. You all ready know my stance on the 2 cities...Personally I think you should relocate to Denver. Gorgeous city with real culture.....Not a city where culture revolves around driving little Johnny & Sally to soccer practice everyday, while "mallhopping" every Saturday.... With Denver you have all of the qualities of "westcoast" living which you are affectionally fond of. Plus you have the majestic backdrop of the Rockies at your fingertips.....Think long and strong about your decision.

Last edited by westcoastbabe; 04-24-2012 at 07:32 PM.. Reason: Misspelled bother

Old 04-24-2012, 07:45 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,834,325 times
Obviously you son't mean Denver, NC, which is just outside of Charlotte. Between the two, I would pick the one in NC. But I am biased.

You are really comparing an established city to an up-and-coming city. There is little anyone canI offer you unless they have lived there. However, I have heard good things about LoDi in Denver.

Is LoDi the right name? Had a friend there and she still ved it but I am not 100%mistaken on the name.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:54 AM

westcoastbabe, I do know how you feel and appreciate your feedback. I also hope to see your dream materialize soon! @Aristotle, you came strong so I assume you have something to offer. I really am looking to learn more about Denver. What are, in your opinion, the pros and cons of life in Denver as opposed to Charlotte? @Spanky, I believe it's LoDo, which stands for the Lower Downtown district.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:28 AM

22 posts, read 68,374 times
If you dont mind the cold/snow and no health issues with elevation in Denver, Denver beats Charlotte. Rocky mountains, colorado springs, salt lake city, Yellow stone are all weekend drive away and entire west coast and vegas in a short flight. Denver has more arts, cuisine, and diversity options compared to Clt. But, I can never live in 8 months cold; I vacationed quite a bit in denver area.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 AM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,685 times
I never lived in Denver but took several snowboarding trips there and have a friend who lives there. I would say Denver wins hands down, not that I'm saying anything bad about CLT at all. I'm curious tho, how do you like living in AZ?

Old 04-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Default Living in AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman1200 View Post
I never lived in Denver but took several snowboarding trips there and have a friend who lives there. I would say Denver wins hands down, not that I'm saying anything bad about CLT at all. I'm curious tho, how do you like living in AZ?
I have lived in AZ for nearly 14 years. Ironically, I moved here from CLT! Initially, I just absorbed myself in my job and really didn't notice for the first two years. Once I lifted my head I began to see the beauty of the desert for what it is. The lifestyle is laid-back, maybe too much at times, but the Western lifestyle has grown on me. AZ is a beautiful state with diverse climates. As a matter of fact, we received more snow in the mountains this winter than the entire East Coast! All in all, I like living out here, but I do miss Charlotte.

I'm possibly contemplating a move in three years (once my daughter graduates from HS) and Denver and Charlotte are the two places I'm contemplating. One drawback for Denver might be the winters. I do not want to shovel snow anymore. However, I remember the humidity in Charlotte and cringe. It may work out that I'll end up staying right where I am. We'll see!

Last edited by goolsbyjazz; 04-26-2012 at 12:23 PM.. Reason: made changes

Old 04-26-2012, 12:25 PM

821 posts, read 1,854,700 times
I'm a southern (TN) transplant to Charlotte. Up until a few years ago, we have loved living here, but if I had a chance and was not so heavily invested in the area, I would move tomorrow. Denver would be a great place to live and work. If you want feedback, give John Hancock at WBT radio an email ping. He's been here a long time, but you can tell he still loves Denver. It has SO much to offer.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickytraveller View Post
If you dont mind the cold/snow and no health issues with elevation in Denver, Denver beats Charlotte. Rocky mountains, colorado springs, salt lake city, Yellow stone are all weekend drive away and entire west coast and vegas in a short flight. Denver has more arts, cuisine, and diversity options compared to Clt. But, I can never live in 8 months cold; I vacationed quite a bit in denver area.
@Pickytraveller, the snow and cold are a big concern for me. I loved when we visited Denver, but it was during the summer. I may need to visit during the winter to get a true feel for what it is like.
I am surprised to hear you think Denver offers more diversity, arts and cuisine than Charlotte.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:15 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,805,531 times
Finally...someone is on the same bandwagon as me....That what I have been trying to tell you all along...Charlotte is a very "clickish" to say the least....I mean dont get me wrong, it's got its good points such as cost of living affordability...but thats it. Not that many options as far as diversity, arts, and definitely cuisine....Eventually after a while, you start to miss having options.....Seriously, goolsbyjazz, if i were you..visit first..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte