Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 12:56 PM

183 posts, read 383,930 times

Advertisements

I am looking to get new carpet installed. I have gotten a few quotes from places like Carpet One, Carolina Carpet. There estimates have been pretty close in comparison to each other.

I'd like to get an estimate from Home Depot, but they charge $35. Not a huge amount of money by any means, but thought I'd check here first to see if anyone can provide any feedback.

How is their pricing? Being that they are a "big box" store, is there a noticeable difference between them and others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 01:00 PM

156 posts, read 309,525 times
I used Home Depot for the installation of my den and stairs carpeting.
The two men who installed my carpet were excellent and professional. Home Depot followed up with me within 1 hour of installation to check my satisfaction. We were very pleased.
However, The installers are contract workers so it's luck of the draw as to who will come install.

BTW - the $35.00 measurement fee is subtracted from your total when you order.

Old 05-03-2012, 01:06 PM

183 posts, read 383,930 times
Did you get quotes from anyone else? Was HD significantly cheaper?

Old 05-03-2012, 06:59 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
I used Lowes a few years back when I built a home office in my basement. They installed berber on a wooden subfloor that I built. The work was very professional and they were in and out quickly. I would have no problem using bog box stores again.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:48 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
I priced lowes and HD for some carpeting on my rental in Mooresville. Ended up going with HD. their contractor did a great job, I would use them again.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:46 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,159 times
I had HD installers for a carpet job in a townhouse. We bought the upgraded pad because it helps save carpet over a long period of time. Renters destroyed part of the carpet. Had all carpet removed and replaced. When being removed, I noticed the pad was cheap standard pad - not the upgrade for which I paid extra. Obviously, either HD made a mistake or the installer used the cheaper pad and kept the upgrade for himself. My lesson: when someone is installing, I will always be present to make sure I am getting what I paid for. Never again. For the new carpet, I went shopping and compared prices (actually got three bids) and checked with the BBB for any complaints or issues. There are cheaper prices around. Frankly, I would check with one of the carpet discount operations - like the one on Independence near Idlewild where the old Circuit City and Toys R Us used to be located. Cheapest is not always best, but it pays $$$ to check around. We do a lot of business with Lowes and I would get a quote - apples to apples - and then made a decision. As an aside, we USED to do all of our business with HD, but no more. And, that's another story for another time and place.

Old 05-04-2012, 07:48 AM

Lowes doesn't carry Makita. That's the deal breaker for me.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:13 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,369,119 times
Not carpet but hardwoods with HD. Never again. I won't step foot in there. They made us send the two types of vinyl that would be lifted up to a lab on Westinghouse to test for asbestos, $45 per test. We knew one would and one wouldn't test positive and were right. They told us they would not replace or place wood over the affected vinyl. They also never helped with any scheduling, never told us when to expect the wood to be delivered. I had to do all of that myself. That was the main reason I went to them. I thought I'd get some level of project management. Final the wood is delivered and three days later the installer shows up. He did a fabulous job and a week later came and installed the wood after removing the old vinyl. I know asbestos isn't something you want to toss around your kitchen but seriously?

Old 05-05-2012, 10:53 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Lowes doesn't carry Makita. That's the deal breaker for me.
Why would the fact they don't carry Makita tools affect your carpet purchase?

Check complaints against the big box stores. They all have very poor customer service records.

Old 05-06-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Why would the fact they don't carry Makita tools affect your carpet ?
It didn't. I was being sarcastic.

I chose HD because the fellow there actually knew all about carpet and padding. After hearing his explanations I was able to go home and do even more efficient research. When I went to Lowes the guy didn't have any idea about what he was trying to sell me, but had no hang ups about trying to BS his way through.

I didn't entertain a smaller distributor, although now I wish I had. Honestly I just assumed smaller guys would be more expensive. I buy local when I can, but in this economy it is tougher and tougher... Everything is going up except my earnings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte