Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 07:59 PM

18 posts, read 48,320 times

Advertisements

Just had 2 bad experiences with HD, interested to know if that happened just to me ? Is Lowes better then HD? I'm looking to redo my kitchen....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 08:06 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,725,526 times
Back when HD first started opening stores, they hired well trained, experienced people from the different trades. Over the years they started cutting out good people in place for part-timers (so they wouldn't have to pay benefits...)

Granted, not every store is like this but a good majority I can confidently say this has happened to (since I work in the industry and spent a good amount of time in the stores).

In regards to HD vs. Lowe's. Most women prefer Lowe's and men/contractors prefer HD. Of course there will be exceptions....

Old 09-06-2008, 08:37 PM

314 posts, read 1,136,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
In regards to HD vs. Lowe's. Most women prefer Lowe's and men/contractors prefer HD. Of course there will be exceptions....
A guy working at Lowe's told me this too. He said that they were designed with those preferences in mind.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
shop Lowes it head quartered here and so is there garden supplier Metrolina Green house

Besides they sponsor Jimmy Johnson

Old 09-07-2008, 06:42 AM

769 posts, read 2,220,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
shop Lowes it head quartered here and so is there garden supplier Metrolina Green house

Besides they sponsor Jimmy Johnson
Oh Sunny, you would have to say that (you like Jimmie Johnson!!)!! psst, I'm a Tony Stewart fan I still like you though!

But, on to the topic at hand...we are getting ready to redo our kitchen so I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out what I wanted. I've spent a lot of time on both sites (No Sunny, I'm not a traitor, HD isn't sponsoring Tony next year!!).
I have found that it really depends on what you are looking at - HD had 4 times as many options for kitchen faucets as Lowe's had. But Lowe's had more, and in my opinion, better, selections for tile. As far as customer service and knowledge, I haven't really spent much time with reps from either company - I've usually done my homework first or am having the installation work done and don't need to know - but when we were painting I was very pleased with both the customer service and the product that I got from HD. For store layout, yes, I like Lowe's better - it's "prettier". HD very much has that industrial hardware store feel.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:47 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,982,267 times
I say support Lowes as much as you can since they are headquartered here

Old 09-07-2008, 09:03 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
I am a Lowe's fanatic. I have had a thing for Lowe's since I started housekeeping (and scarily - that has more than 25 years now!!!) Got my first free-standing freezer from Lowes - their Holiday brand. I have used their financing plans to buy so many things, from appliances to grills to lumber.

I like everything about Lowe's more than HD, including customer service on the floor as well as customer service on the phone.

Just to be sure that I was not missing out on anything, I faithfully comparison shopped from about 2000 to 2004, at wh/ time I decided that I was consistently getting better prices at Lowe's. So I quit comparison shopping and just head to Lowe's now.

That being said . . . there have been times when I am looking for a particular item, and can't find exactly what I want, so then I find out if Lowe's can order what I want . . . and I also check w/ HD to see if the prices are any different (or if HD has the exact thing I am looking for).

Lowe's runs their company well and I appreciate how I am treated there. I am with Doorway - even if all things are equal - I will support Lowe's b/f HD. Keep those jobs here in our region!!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 10:55 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
The two chains were always equal to me in terms of price, product, and convenience.

My Nascar influence has always made me prefer HD to Lowes. Was never a fan of Mike Skinner or Jimmie Johnson (cars that Lowes has sponsored). I am a Tony Stewart fan, so I always shopped at the orange store when the choice needed to be made.

Now that my #1 driver (Jr.) is with Hendrick, I have to somewhat support Johnson / Lowes as a good teammate.

Oh, the conflicts in life!!!

Old 09-07-2008, 01:11 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,315,040 times
We bought a very nice GE Profile stainless fridge a few years when we did a complete kitchen remodel (did not use a big box store). The Lowes installers brought the fridge in, and hooked it up, but it was wobbling about 3/4". My wife (I was at work) ask the guys what the problem and told them it just did not seem correct.
Their response was 'it will level out when you put some food in it'.
LOL! I got out the manual and leveled it when I got home. This took all over 3 minutes.

IMHO, the big box stores just have horrible installment services.
I could tell you some real horror stories on Lowes and HD kitchens installations, BTW.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:25 PM

18 posts, read 48,320 times
Thank you all for the suggestions!
Mullman, what kind of horror stories do you know about L & HD? What is the alternative then? I'm kinda scared to start this project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte