Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 02:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Aren't there speed limits for trains while travelling through towns?

Yet another truck was hit this morning. Another train wreck in Kings Mountain (Updated at 11:16 a.m.) | kings, mountain, wreck - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County A man was killed while walking on the tracks on Monday. Train hits, kills man | mountain, pedestrian, kings - The Star Online : The Newspaper of Cleveland County

I'm not saying that the trains are 100% to blame, but. . . if they wouldn't be hauling a$$ through town like they are in the countryside, the impacts wouldn't be so severe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 02:27 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Sb you cant fix stupid.....

Old 05-04-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Sb you cant fix stupid.....
So true, Jack..

I wouldn't drive a car over that particular crossing. On the other hand the trains come through town, booking it like they are in the open countryside. I would guess that some are going at least 50 mph, if not more.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:40 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,619,995 times
It's not that easy to slow down a train. It would take some time for them to slow down and then get back up to speed so I don't blame them for not doing it. If pedestrians and cars would do their part, it wouldn't be a problem.

Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
Look before you cross. Don't stop on the tracks. And don't walk on the tracks. Not a difficult concept to understand. Of course impatient people are rarely rational.

Old 05-04-2012, 04:02 PM

86 posts, read 230,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
It's not that easy to slow down a train. It would take some time for them to slow down and then get back up to speed so I don't blame them for not doing it. If pedestrians and cars would do their part, it wouldn't be a problem.

I agree 100%

Old 05-04-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
I'm aware that it's difficult to slow down. It's usually the northbound trains going like a bat out of hell. They've been in the countryside since Gaffney. They are going to be going through towns continuously after Kings Mountain. What does it buy them? a couple of minutes?

Cars are not in this equation. It's semi trucks that can't clear 3 crossings.

It's the fault of truckers & pedestrians for being there, but as fast as I've seen those northbound trains booking it through town, I think that that makes the impacts worse.

A southbound train hit a drunk a while back & he lived. The northbound train killed this person.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:10 PM

251 posts, read 588,948 times
To be honest, in my opinion, the speed of the train is not the issue here. Its the "said" person or vehicle thats on the track. If the train was doing 35 mph or 55 mph, the devistation would be the almost same. It would take a massive freight train a mile or two to come to a complete stop hauling thousands of tons of cargo.

There is also a lot more that goes into the speed of a train than the area that is going through. In one direction you may be leaving a major rail yard or station, with lots of other rail traffic. In this case the trains would be slow moving. If the south bound train is approaching a lively rail yard, it would be slowing. If the northbound train was leaving a busy rail yard or station, it would obvioulsy be accelerating as it picks up speed to begin its journey to its destination.

So long as propper grade crossing equiptment is in place, I think trains should be allowed to do whatever maximum speeds they are allowed to do by law. I used to commute on passenger trains that sped by schools and super busy intersections at 75+ mph. Its not the trains or railroads problem, its everyboby around the tracks that need to be more responsible in my opinion

Old 05-05-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noupf View Post
To be honest, in my opinion, the speed of the train is not the issue here. Its the "said" person or vehicle thats on the track. If the train was doing 35 mph or 55 mph, the devistation would be the almost same. It would take a massive freight train a mile or two to come to a complete stop hauling thousands of tons of cargo.

There is also a lot more that goes into the speed of a train than the area that is going through. In one direction you may be leaving a major rail yard or station, with lots of other rail traffic. In this case the trains would be slow moving. If the south bound train is approaching a lively rail yard, it would be slowing. If the northbound train was leaving a busy rail yard or station, it would obvioulsy be accelerating as it picks up speed to begin its journey to its destination.

So long as propper grade crossing equiptment is in place, I think trains should be allowed to do whatever maximum speeds they are allowed to do by law. I used to commute on passenger trains that sped by schools and super busy intersections at 75+ mph. Its not the trains or railroads problem, its everyboby around the tracks that need to be more responsible in my opinion

Rail yards have nothing to do with this. Kings Mountain is the largest community, northbound, after Gaffney. Northbound, they then go through Bessemer City, Gastonia, the towns in eastern Gaston County, then Charlotte. The trains coming southbound are slower. They speed up after leaving town. Some northbound trains do come through slower.

The problem is that the tracks in downtown Kings Mountain were graded in a way that, in the 1800s, freight could be loaded/unloaded directly to & from horse drawn carts without a platform. This was normal in a lot of small towns at that time. The Oak Street crossing is in the same area.

This is a small section that is a problem only for semis. They sunk the tracks in an area of Gastonia. They could regrade & fix 2 of the 3 problem crossings in Kings Mountain. The other crossings in town are no problem. That's a lot of money to spend for a handful of idiots who think that no truck crossing doesn't include them. The easiest, cheapest thing to do is tell Norfolk Southern to tell their people & Amtrak to slow down both ways in town. Will that prevent impacts? No. It will reduce the violence of the impacts, though.

WCNC sent someone out. http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/Train...150143995.html

Old 05-05-2012, 12:22 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The easiest, cheapest thing to do is tell Norfolk Southern to tell their people & Amtrak to slow down both ways in town. Will that prevent impacts? No. It will reduce the violence of the impacts, though.
So because a handful of idiots driving 18 wheelers make the deliberate choice to put their life, their truck, and the safety of the train crew in peril, we need to penalize the railroad? Sorry, that doesn't fly by me.

How about holding the truckers responsible with something like this:

-if you deliberately put your truck in position to have it get hit by a train, you forfeit your CDL permanently;
-the trucking company is held liable for 100% of the cost to clean up the damage, repair the scuff marks on the train , and pay a stiff penalty for their driver's stupidity.

Just another case of people needing to be held responsible for their actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte