Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 05:34 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times

Advertisements

I just need to vent - not looking for a referral at this time.

I've been in this situation before and I'm still baffled.

I've got a plumbing issue, I think. Hot water not getting hot enough - again. Last time I lucked out and it was a blown fuse. This time it's not.

I called three plumbers over the last four days.

One plumber was a no-show, twice. This evening's appointment was at 5 PM. I called him at 4 PM to confirm since he'd already stood me up once, got his voicemail, left a message. When he wasn't there by 6 PM, I called him back, reached him and he said, "Mind if I come by at 7?" I reluctantly agreed. When he wasn't there at 7 PM, I called back and he said, "Ma'am, I honestly can't tell you what time it would be, I'm in the midst of a really big job. Want me to come by tomorrow?" Seriously?

Another plumber is a guy that works for a plumbing company but also does work on the side and he straight out told me had more business than he could handle. Understood.

The third plumber has THREE numbers listed on his business card. I've left voicemail on all three over the course of four days. No return call.

I've encountered this issue previously (too many times) with Charlotte-area repairman and service providers. I just don't "get" it though. Is business that lucrative that no one gives a darn about attracting and retaining loyal customers? I'm truly dumbfounded!

And right now I wish one of my kids would go into plumbing! Or geesh, maybe my husband should look into a new career field.

Plumber #4 assures me he will be by tomorrow morning. Odd as this sounds, I believe him! He sounded sincere. LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 05:24 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,706,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
I just need to vent - not looking for a referral at this time.

I've been in this situation before and I'm still baffled.

I've got a plumbing issue, I think. Hot water not getting hot enough - again. Last time I lucked out and it was a blown fuse. This time it's not.

I called three plumbers over the last four days.

One plumber was a no-show, twice. This evening's appointment was at 5 PM. I called him at 4 PM to confirm since he'd already stood me up once, got his voicemail, left a message. When he wasn't there by 6 PM, I called him back, reached him and he said, "Mind if I come by at 7?" I reluctantly agreed. When he wasn't there at 7 PM, I called back and he said, "Ma'am, I honestly can't tell you what time it would be, I'm in the midst of a really big job. Want me to come by tomorrow?" Seriously?

Another plumber is a guy that works for a plumbing company but also does work on the side and he straight out told me had more business than he could handle. Understood.

The third plumber has THREE numbers listed on his business card. I've left voicemail on all three over the course of four days. No return call.

I've encountered this issue previously (too many times) with Charlotte-area repairman and service providers. I just don't "get" it though. Is business that lucrative that no one gives a darn about attracting and retaining loyal customers? I'm truly dumbfounded!

And right now I wish one of my kids would go into plumbing! Or geesh, maybe my husband should look into a new career field.

Plumber #4 assures me he will be by tomorrow morning. Odd as this sounds, I believe him! He sounded sincere. LOL.
You can fix this yourself...maybe. There is a temperature adjustment (screw) somewhere on the tank. On one in my house you mearly turn the screw in the direction of higher temp or lower.

I'm not a plumber only trying to get you off the ground if possible. Maybe if you don't have the manual you can find the scymatic on line.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:42 AM

468 posts, read 827,033 times
If the water is warm and not hot, and the temperature adjustment has not been changed, it is more likely a burned out heating element in the water heater.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTraveler View Post
If the water is warm and not hot, and the temperature adjustment has not been changed, it is more likely a burned out heating element in the water heater.
This is what I suspect.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:10 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,159 times
Quote:
This is what I suspect.
If might be worth the expense to join and check Angie's List. Most contractors and service providers go the extra mile to make sure their customers or potential customers are happy. Otherwise, they get marked down on Angie's List and that will cost them business. I've been through the plumber issue myself. I suspect that so many plumbers have been forced out of work over the past couple of years because of the economy, there's fewer tradesmen to handle calls for service.

As someone points out, it does sound like you have an element burned out and if the water heater is not too old - say 5 or 6 years old - then it's worth doing a little on-line research to determine what's involved to replace and element. This is one of the do it yourself projects, providing you or your husband is mechanically inclined, that's not to difficult to handle. I stress, be sure to turn off the electricity to the water heater before doing any testing of the elements with a voltage meter. The elements do come out fairly easy, but be prepared for a little bit of a mess (have lots of towels handy). Been there.

Old 05-12-2012, 05:53 AM

441 posts, read 1,487,859 times
Exactly why I do everything myself. Can't count an anyone. It seems to be common in the construction business. Most home repairs are not complicated. Just do a little research.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:25 AM

Issue resolved. I am an Angie's List member.

Thank you everyone for the valuable input!

Old 05-12-2012, 07:31 AM

2,404 posts, read 6,579,562 times
Quote:
Issue resolved. I am an Angie's List member.

Thank you everyone for the valuable input!
Issue resolved ? Pls let us know what was the problem , and how did you fix it , do it your self or did a repair person finally shoq up ?

Old 05-12-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Issue resolved ? Pls let us know what was the problem , and how did you fix it , do it your self or did a repair person finally shoq up ?
I went with Roger Rooting Plumbing - there were multiple issues. It's an old house. I've owned it about 1.5 years. There were A LOT of shortcuts taken and do-it-yourself fixes done by previous owner.

Very pleased with Roger and would recommend in a heartbeat. He was actually willing to come out when I called him, close to 8 PM, without assessing an after-hours fee. I opted to wait until the next morning because it was more convenient for me.

Roger

www.rogerrooterplumbing.com

704-221-1334

If you give him a call, let him know where you got the referral. (No, I don't get a fee.)

Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
So what was the problem?

I too was thinking HWH element.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: