Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 01:45 PM

6 posts, read 15,383 times

Advertisements

I have a child that is going into high school next year and I have not been pleased with the school she is currently attending. We are in the Waxhaw Marvin area. When we moved, we were supposed to go to Weddington High school until Kim Rogers decided she wanted to make sure her child went to Marvin and all the higher end neighborhoods went with them. IF you look at the district lines (which she was instrumental in implementing) it is obvious what she did when Cuthbertson was being built. Now I need to know if there is a way to have your child attend a different school within the county without moving. I know in SC if a school did not make high enough scores on EOG testing, the parents were allowed to send their child to a different school while living in the same district as the "lower" school.

My chid scored 12 points lower on Math EOG despite trying and being denied having her moved into a class where the teacher was actually a great teacher. 88% of her class make C level grades or below with no other options. These students are (were) honor roll students and AIG. I am furious and would like options other than moving again.

Any help would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2012, 04:06 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,754 times
Union Acadamy would be a choice. Not sure of any other way other than private.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:27 PM

I have not looked into Union Academy. I will.
We did talk with and visit Union County Early college (which was impressive).

Old 05-19-2012, 11:37 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by going2tb View Post
I have a child that is going into high school next year and I have not been pleased with the school she is currently attending. We are in the Waxhaw Marvin area. When we moved, we were supposed to go to Weddington High school until Kim Rogers decided she wanted to make sure her child went to Marvin and all the higher end neighborhoods went with them. IF you look at the district lines (which she was instrumental in implementing) it is obvious what she did when Cuthbertson was being built.
Is it the part where Marvin Ridge's line should not have crossed Providence Road and should have gone all the way to Cureton? Just curious.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:06 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,392,577 times
Central Academy of Arts and Technology is a magnet school in UCPS. You have to apply and not everyone gets in but it is an option. It is one of the few schools not overcrowded. My daughter went there her HS years and had a great experience. Only drawback is it being located in Monroe.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:35 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,086,954 times
The kids applied to CATA and UCEC several months back. UCEC kids received their acceptance letters more than 2 weeks ago. I'm not sure when to anticipate letters for CATA. If your daughter didn't apply, it's not an option. UA isn't an option either. Again, the lottery announcement was made almost a month back. When interested in a magnet or charter program, advanced planning and preparation are required. There are Open Houses, applications, sometimes auditions then lotteries.

I'm not sure if your child is going into high school next year or the next school year. However, UA is easier to get into at the high school level. If you're focused on EOG scores, their scores tend to be lower overall than the schools you cited above and I've heard umpteen reasons for it but usually it's because "we don't choose to focus on the test". I'm not saying this is a drawback but if it's important to you it's something to consider.

As for CATA and UCEC, I'm not sure of their policy on admittance after 9th grade. But be warned, UCEC, especially, is very competitive. There were more than 250 applicants for the upcoming school year and 80 children were accepted.

Both of the above are located in Monroe. It's not a drawback. The boogey man isn't going to devour your kid if they set foot in Monroe. They are both great programs and transportation is provided by UCPS.

I really don't grasp the OP's gripe.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:49 AM

999 posts, read 4,652,910 times
I don't really understand the problem here. The OP has issues with the child's middle school, and seemingly one MS teacher. I have issues with one particular teacher at my child's middle school. Which makes me happier for the year to end and for her to be going to a different school (high school) next year. Just because your child has issues with a teacher or a class at middle school, how does that translate to the high school the child will attend next year? It seems that each year my child has one "bad" teacher, either a mismatch personality wise, or, sometimes, just a poor teacher. I have told her that things like this happen, she needs to work with the hand she's dealt. She'll encounter plenty of unpleasant people in her life, better to learn to deal with them now.
Of course we would hope that all the teachers would be good teachers, but that's just not realistic.

Old 05-21-2012, 08:26 AM

My daughter and I toured Central Academy and were extremely impressed with the school and the staff. My concern was the concern over her changing her mind as to a career path and not having what she needed there. Nineth grade is a little early for her to decide what she wants to major in. I know some students know early on but she varies between animal science and law. A very good school though....

Old 05-21-2012, 09:04 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,164,128 times
Since your daughter will be in a new school starting with grade 9th anyway, I would not rush to move her away from her former colleagues/friends because of one teacher (at what will soon be former school).
Good luck either way!

Old 05-22-2012, 05:39 AM

Thank you all for your replies. All of the input is helpful. I will say although I may have made it seem like 1 teacher, that is not the only reason. She likes all of her teachers and they all like her but the push does not seem to be there. The principal is a huge issue with myself, students and others but as we know with moving up into a different school, this should not be a problem. What I would like to know is if there are the same issues in the high school, what the Union County rules are for transferring schools in relation to where you reside. Will I ultimately be forced to buy a home in an adjacent neighborhood if we move to another school? I would love for her to stay in her current school system but if we have the same issues next year, I want to understand my options or lack of.

Thank you all again for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte