Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2012, 03:08 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,727,195 times

Advertisements

Ok, looking for some advice from my CD buddies on whether to go on a "mini vacation" to Dollywood...

(I know this should be on the eastern TN site, however I'm not sure if the park is a gloryfied Carowinds and I should not waste my money....)

I figure alot of natives/transplants in the Charlotte area has made the trek over there and would provide sound advice...

I have a couple kids in elementary school, so I'm thinking it would be fun for them...looking to to during the week in late July sometime..

Hotels seem reasonable..anywhere from $69-89 / night.

Any tips or recommendations? I'm on the fence on booking it because my hesitation is that it could be very similar to Carowinds (which I'll go somwhere else in the southeast for a mini vacation...)

thoughts?

Sunny, I ask please don't move this thread over there....ty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2012, 04:17 PM

930 posts, read 2,161,436 times
I'm sure someone will get on here that has been there and give you a good answer. I have never been there but my parents go all of the time because of some Christian music awards/dinner or something in the fall. Mom told me that it was mostly shops. but they have started adding more rides. I know where it is it used to be a campground that we camped at. There was a small park there then and she bought it and expanded it. I didn't get the impression that it was as nice of a park as Carowinds and I wasn't impressed with Carowinds. I guess, it depends on what you are looking for. I'm sure this probably wasn't much help. LOL I'm not sure how long it takes to get there from Charlotte, but I would rather go to Busch Gardens in VA.

Old 05-29-2012, 04:42 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Ok, looking for some advice from my CD buddies on whether to go on a "mini vacation" to Dollywood...

(I know this should be on the eastern TN site, however I'm not sure if the park is a gloryfied Carowinds and I should not waste my money....)

I figure alot of natives/transplants in the Charlotte area has made the trek over there and would provide sound advice...

I have a couple kids in elementary school, so I'm thinking it would be fun for them...looking to to during the week in late July sometime..

Any tips or recommendations? I'm on the fence on booking it because my hesitation is that it could be very similar to Carowinds (which I'll go somwhere else in the southeast for a mini vacation...)

thoughts?

Jack, also ask on the Greenville/Spartenburg board. They are between the 2 parks. I get most of their TV stations as well as the Charlotte stations. I watch them when weather conditions make the Charlotte signals funky. Dollywood advertises heavily on those stations.

Old 05-29-2012, 05:32 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times
Quote:
Well, you can go to the site and read a description of the rides. There is also a water park. TripAdvisor might be a better place to check out reviews

Dollywood - Pigeon Forge - Reviews of Dollywood - TripAdvisor

For your money's worth, check out the entire Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg area. A large part of the area now exists solely to part tourists from sums of cash. We took in the Titanic exhibit a couple of years ago. It's interesting from an historic aspect, but I thought it a bit sleazy that the only way to leave the attraction was through the gift shop, where you are tempted by t-shirts and other tack-o-rama - there is even an invitation to stage your wedding on the Titanic

Of course, you can save the $$ ordinarily spent on vomit-comet rides and just take your kids on a drive through nearby Deal's Gap (US 129). 318 curves in 11 miles, the little buggers will be green to the gills in no time

Old 05-29-2012, 06:01 PM

123 posts, read 218,024 times
Quote:

thoughts?

I was watching The Bachlorette Monday night and Emily and her date took a trip to Dollywood. Didn't show that much of the park, more indoors a theatre where Dolly performs and she was there to meet Emily. I looked at the website and thought it was kind of expensive for what the park describes. Looks like something you can do in one day and enjoy your other days in Gatlinburg. Gatlinburg is a big tourist trap though, but I love the Smoky Mountains. Lofts of rafting, kayaking, ranches where you can go on guided trails on horseback. Enjoy your mini-vacation.

Old 05-29-2012, 06:27 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,792 times
My wife and son went last year and that is literally the only time she's ever written a complaint email to a company. We've been a couple of times before but she said last year it was just dirty/nasty in the park, many of the rides/attractions were closed and it was very expensive, obviously. We'll never go back. I would say it's a smaller version of Carowinds to a degree but I like Carowinds a LOT more, especially for the money difference between the two.

Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg is a nice place to visit IMO if you are into more outdoorsy type stuff, shopping or just getting away to a place that basically exists for tourism (thus many tourist type attractions). Summer time is (or use to be at least) a big draw for various car shows to Pigeon Forge that can really jam up the roads, so you might want to check the calendar to see what events are going on during the time you plan on staying. I personally loved the car shows and seeing the various rides but know many don't.

You can also look at renting a cabin/chalet as they are very reasonably priced and you get a lot more room than your standard hotel room plus you really feel like you're on vacation. Also most come with a hot tub for relaxing after the kids are in bed!

Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,829 times
I go to Dollywood about every other year. We stay at the Music Road Inn. Never had anything bad to say about this place. Plus, it was easy to get to DW from there. I have often heard Pigeon Forge as being compared to the Myrtle Beach in the mountains. Just driving up and down US 441, seeing all the amusement areas, themed hotels, go-kart tracks galore, can really excite small kids (and adults that act like small kids, lol).

Wolf, I am surprised at the bad experience you had at DW. This park is consistently rated as one of the cleanest, friendliest theme parks in the nation. I absolutely love this park. If you are a coaster enthusiasts, they have a nice assortment of them. DW is known as a "show" park though. I would say 60% of the crowd go for the shows. The park is hilly, but with plenty of shady spots to cool down. All rides will shut down the slightest clap of thunder, which happens quite frequently in that area.

Anyway, my 2¢. Let us know how your trip went. And you should try and see Gatlinburg too. Very easy drive from Pigeon Forge.

Old 05-29-2012, 07:53 PM

475 posts, read 900,634 times
I had the same experience as Swampfoxer. The whole area is enjoyable. I have never been to Carawinds but I have been to Busch Tampa 3 times . I like them both but would choose DW over the two. Elementary is a great age for your kids to visit .

Old 05-30-2012, 03:19 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
Dollywood has a good new rollercoaster, the Wild Eagle. It is the first wing rider style coaster in the US, where the cars are suspended from the side of the tracks. But I am a big fan of the Intimidator at Carowinds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte