Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:38 PM

3 posts, read 4,952 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

I'll be moving to Charlotte in two weeks to start training for a teaching job in the fall. I've been trying to find an apartment for the last few days, but just getting frustrated. Any help would be very welcome!

I am a single female looking for a one bedroom for 500-700$ a month. I know that is not much... but money is one of the big factors here as I won't be paid until about August. I have no idea which school in CMS I will be working at, but I do not care about long commutes. I would like to live somewhere quiet and safe - fun things to do don't matter as much as not worrying about getting mugged in the parking lot. I lived in college area for most of the last decade, so if possible I'd like to get away from undergraduates partying in my front yard. I've been told to look to the NE at Concord/Kannapolis by one person in passing... but like I said, I know absolutely nothing about this area.

Any tips or areas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 10:25 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,878 times
well that cuts out university city...it would fit your budget, ive been there 2 years and haven't had any problems with partying in my yard

Old 06-03-2012, 11:23 AM
amp

519 posts, read 1,516,184 times
it will be challenging not knowing where you will be teaching, but if commute isn't an issue...you could consider the fort mill area?? I know they have a couple of places that offer rents in the 700's.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,260 times
There are plenty of 1 bdrm apts in your price range in nice areas of town. Availability may be the biggest problem. Go to the Camden, Charlotte search page here and see what they have for starters. I will start by suggesting Camden Foxcroft. Great, safe area in with 1 bdrm's in your price range. They are older apt's but decent.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:20 PM

174 posts, read 477,391 times
Pay the extra $50 and you will be fine here.

Fairways at Piper Glen Apartments in Charlotte, NC | Apartments.com

Old 06-03-2012, 01:56 PM

430 posts, read 804,550 times
I stayed at Camden Ballantyne for a few months before I bought my first home here, and it was quite nice. I don't think it was very expensive either. We got a 3 bedroom though, so I can't confirm. There's also Camden Stonecrest, which is also a nice area.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:13 PM

Thank you guys for the responses!

I've looked at Camden Foxcroft, but it doesn't seem like they have any 1B units available until July. There are a couple other Camden properties with spaces open, but I keep running into rather scary online reviews. If worse comes to worse, I can try and get some a temporary place to stay during the week and commute from Durham, but obviously I'd really like to avoid that.

I'm driving over to look at possible places tomorrow and will add Fairways at Piper Glen to the list. Thanks!

Yes, this is all very challenging. I'm actually starting in the Teach Charlotte program and have to start attending unpaid training during the week on the 13th. I won't actually have a job until August, but they placed all of their people last year, so I'm quite optimistic about that. After being unemployed in Durham for the last year, I'm very happy about this chance at a new start. Happy about moving with little to no money? Not really.

I was talking about partying in the yard a little in jest... I lived in State College, PA while going to Penn State for grad school for 6 years where that was frequently a problem. But since Penn State was the #1 party school in the country at the time, I doubt that is as big a problem around UNCC. I have a couple places I'm looking at tomorrow near the university (I think... still trying to get a handle on all the neighborhoods) - Mission Harris Pavillion and Barrington Place. If anyone has experience with either of those places, would love to hear it.

Other possiblilities:
Summerlin at Concord
Mission Concord Place
Caralea Valley (Also in concord)
Wildwood Apartments
Advenir at Casa Bella
Oak Pointe Apartments

Tomorrow will be a very busy day.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:52 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchers View Post
Thank you guys for the responses!

I've looked at Camden Foxcroft, but it doesn't seem like they have any 1B units available until July. There are a couple other Camden properties with spaces open, but I keep running into rather scary online reviews. If worse comes to worse, I can try and get some a temporary place to stay during the week and commute from Durham, but obviously I'd really like to avoid that.

I'm driving over to look at possible places tomorrow and will add Fairways at Piper Glen to the list. Thanks!

Yes, this is all very challenging. I'm actually starting in the Teach Charlotte program and have to start attending unpaid training during the week on the 13th. I won't actually have a job until August, but they placed all of their people last year, so I'm quite optimistic about that. After being unemployed in Durham for the last year, I'm very happy about this chance at a new start. Happy about moving with little to no money? Not really.

I was talking about partying in the yard a little in jest... I lived in State College, PA while going to Penn State for grad school for 6 years where that was frequently a problem. But since Penn State was the #1 party school in the country at the time, I doubt that is as big a problem around UNCC. I have a couple places I'm looking at tomorrow near the university (I think... still trying to get a handle on all the neighborhoods) - Mission Harris Pavillion and Barrington Place. If anyone has experience with either of those places, would love to hear it.

Other possiblilities:
Summerlin at Concord
Mission Concord Place
Caralea Valley (Also in concord)
Wildwood Apartments
Advenir at Casa Bella
Oak Pointe Apartments

Tomorrow will be a very busy day.
Since you do not yet know which school you will be assigned to, I highly recommend you choose the most centrally located apartment complex that you can.

This means taking places like Concord and Kannapolis off your list for sure.

And PLEASE, take Advenir at Casa Bella off your list - you do not want to live on or near Farm Pond Lane!

Old 06-03-2012, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Since you do not yet know which school you will be assigned to, I highly recommend you choose the most centrally located apartment complex that you can.

This means taking places like Concord and Kannapolis off your list for sure.

And PLEASE, take Advenir at Casa Bella off your list - you do not want to live on or near Farm Pond Lane!
Thank you for this advice - information on neighborhoods or streets to avoid is exactly what I am looking for. One can only learn so much from the crime data.

I'm seeing this as a tradeoff between location, cost and safety. For a low cost and high safety, I'm willing to have the possibility of a long commute for at least the first year. I'll see about getting a shorter term lease so that I can move more quickly if necessary. At least I know that summer training is at a school off I-85 near the airport, so anything in Concord doesn't *seem* that far. I'm hoping to get a better feel for traffic tomorrow though... at least school generally starts early enough to miss the worst rush hours.

If I can find a centrally located place for ~600 a month in a safe area, I will take it though!

Old 06-03-2012, 03:36 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchers View Post
Thank you for this advice - information on neighborhoods or streets to avoid is exactly what I am looking for. One can only learn so much from the crime data.

I'm seeing this as a tradeoff between location, cost and safety. For a low cost and high safety, I'm willing to have the possibility of a long commute for at least the first year. I'll see about getting a shorter term lease so that I can move more quickly if necessary. At least I know that summer training is at a school off I-85 near the airport, so anything in Concord doesn't *seem* that far. I'm hoping to get a better feel for traffic tomorrow though... at least school generally starts early enough to miss the worst rush hours.

If I can find a centrally located place for ~600 a month in a safe area, I will take it though!
You don't want to live in Concord and have to go to the airport area every day - lots of traffic trying to get out of Concord that direction every morning all the way to the I77-I85 split.

And FYI, shorter term leases cost more - they charge for the privilege of staying less than 6 months.

I'll send you a few links to some places to check out, though do expect to pay at least $700 to be in more decent areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte