Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 07:26 PM

176 posts, read 291,236 times

Advertisements

When shopping evenings at Harris Teeter at Carmel and Quail Hollow have noticed a patrol car parked in front with a uniformed officer standing inside of store. Is this typical? New to Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:29 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
I think they've added security at several stores due to the recent robberies (in both Charlotte and the Triad).

Old 06-14-2012, 07:38 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeNC View Post
When shopping evenings at Harris Teeter at Carmel and Quail Hollow have noticed a patrol car parked in front with a uniformed officer standing inside of store. Is this typical? New to Charlotte.

This is the HT where I do the bullk of my shopping, too. No, it is not typical.

I recently spoke with an officer who relayed that they are giving that parking lot "special attention" b/c of reports about crime taking place there.

What the last officer I talked to told me was a version of what I had heard from other officers over the past three years -- that there are repeat offenders who have moved into some of the apartment complexes off Carmel Road and they believe the muggings are all drug related, i.e, addicts stealing money to buy drugs.

I think the officer is there to send a message.

ETA: I was told last year, by several employees of one of the shops in that complex, that there have been "incidences" and so folks were being very careful about exiting businesses after dark. I have to assume that this is all related. It's a real shame b/c I used to feel totally safe in that parking lot at night, but now I don't go there by myself. I am a cautious person by nature but no use borrowing trouble, so to speak.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:02 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,928 times
I have noticed more police at all the Harris Teeter's around town - Cotswold, University, Uptown, Dilworth. I think it might also have something to do with all the HTs being robbed in South Charlotte lately.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:06 PM

222 posts, read 550,421 times
I've noticed new security at the Uptown Target too. And of course the South Park Barnes and Noble always has a cop on hand. I know cops and security guards are supposed to make me feel safer, but generally they just make me nervous. Makes me uneasy to think that they have to be there, and 90 percent of the time they're bored to death, strolling around and making customers uncomfortable. Have to wonder if these types of stores really need cops to be right there in the store at all times.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I have noticed more police at all the Harris Teeter's around town - Cotswold, University, Uptown, Dilworth. I think it might also have something to do with all the HTs being robbed in South Charlotte lately.
Probably does.

Crime can strike anywhere cause criminals are everywhere. It really shouldn't matter where a person is - reasonable caution is always smart.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
I've noticed new security at the Uptown Target too. And of course the South Park Barnes and Noble always has a cop on hand. I know cops and security guards are supposed to make me feel safer, but generally they just make me nervous. Makes me uneasy to think that they have to be there, and 90 percent of the time they're bored to death, strolling around and making customers uncomfortable. Have to wonder if these types of stores really need cops to be right there in the store at all times.
I guess it is to send a message to the would-be thug, although I would assume management would think it reassures customers. Maybe it isn't that reassuring after all if it makes folks question what has gone on in the past on the property.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:16 PM

985 posts, read 1,902,460 times
There has been one at the HT on Providence at Weddington Road...a lot lately, at least the evenings I have gone in and the police car is stationed right in front of the building.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:18 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,928 times
There have always been cops late night at the one downtown and at a few of the others I visit. I think it's pretty standard, or at least standard enough that the cops make it part of their rounds or a place to hang out.

Old 06-14-2012, 08:24 PM

748 posts, read 1,771,925 times
I knew Harris Teeter's prices were robbery, but it's pretty cool that the cops are so proactive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte