Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 11:33 AM

3 posts, read 7,942 times

Advertisements

We are moving from FL to Cornelius next week, and there doesn't seem to be any good options for internet and TV. Can anyone tell me how reliable U-verse is in the area, especially in Blue Stone Harbor? Can a small antenna pick up any TV channels from Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 12:31 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,643,984 times
Have you done a search on the forum for U-Verse? There should be a lot of threads about it. I don't have any experience with it myself but I believe availability is very limited here.

Old 06-15-2012, 12:35 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,981,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robkiv View Post
Can a small antenna pick up any TV channels from Charlotte?
I have an antenna in the attic (Huntersville) and get 27 channels. Add a Roku and you don't really need to subscribe to actual TV service. I just purchase a broadband connection from TWC. Uverse is very situational down to the physical address.

Old 06-15-2012, 01:01 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,364,532 times
MI-Connection is pretty much the main cable supplier. They're kinda terrible.

Old 06-15-2012, 05:42 PM

5,169 posts, read 7,392,579 times
Default Major Charlotte channels have good UHF reception

You should get good OTA antenna reception in Cornelious from all major networks and Charlotte channels, with a good UHF antenna. Just locate a good sweet spot between the 2 antenna farms. The Clearstream 1 from Antennas Direct is sold at Walmart for $59 and should work fine. They also sell a RCA inline amp for $19.99 that may be needed to stabilize the signal, or if you have a long cable run. A step up would be the Clearstream 2 sold at Best Buy, or the Channel Master 4221 available online. If you need a secondary PBS channel, you may need to add a set of VHF rabbit ears sold at Radioshack, connected with a specific UHF/VHF combiner-splitter, also sold at Radioshack. I would probably order the Antennas Direct Clearstream 2 version with their added VHF dipole, along with a distribution amplifier from PCT/Channel Master, and put it in the attic, and hopefully the house is prewired with RG6 cable. They make 1 port, 2 port, and 3 port versions of these amps, depending upon how many TVs you will be connecting to the antenna. A PCT remote power supply can be ordered for the amp if electrical outlet is not nearby, making it function as a preamp. And Solid Signal is a reputable online retailer with reasonable prices for these products, and you can always also check Amazon. Cheaper than Best Buy. And Motorola makes good amps also, and a remote power supply if needed. And then add a Roku box and you should be good to go. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2012, 05:17 PM

186 posts, read 437,049 times
Have Uverse in Cornelius and pretty happy with it, both internet and TV, great DVR service and related features. Dish Network would lose the signal anytime there was any type of storm or somewhat heavy cloud cover, it was OK. Not that it snows here very often, but in the middle of a snowstorm, scraping the dish (or ice) wasn't fun. Had MI Connection when it was first rolled out after Adelphia went bankrupt, hated it with a passion, at that time the internet service was going out multiple times a day every single day. Uverse isnt available everywhere, but they signed up a ton of people when it became available here. If you sign up, brace yourself for a postively epic installation process - 2 different techs, and 4-6 hours, course that was a year ago, maybe they have improved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte