Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:26 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,520,397 times

Advertisements

Here's what they're looking to obtain:

- 147 riot helmets – which must have an “adjustable tactical face shield with liquid seal” and be able to fit the “3M Full Face Respirator FR-M40B masks.”

- 147 sets of upper body and shoulder protection – which will “effectively protect the torso and shoulders from blunt force trauma” and “safely absorb blows delivered from blunt objects…”

- 152 sets of thigh and groin protection – which “protects the thigh area and has an adjustable and removable groin protector.”

- 147 hard shell shin guards – which can provide “substantial protection from flying debris, non-ballistic weapons, and blows to the leg” and should have an “optimized protective design for severe riot control or tactical situations.”

- 156 forearm protectors – which should shield the “entire forearm from the wrist to the elbow” and weigh approximately six ounces.

- 147 pairs of tactical gloves – which should ensure that the “Kevlar on back of hands is flame/flash retardant as well as cut protective” and that they utilize a “rolled finger tip design for excellent trigger sensitivity and fit.”

Back in March, the DHS awarded defense contractor ATK a deal to provide the DHS with 450 million rounds of bullets over a five year period.

The DHS has also recently purchased a number of bullet-proof checkpoint booths that include ‘stop and go’ lights.

Earlier this year, the federal agency also hired hundreds of new security guards to protect government buildings

In January, residents were stunned to see FPS agents armed with semiautomatic guns stationed outside a Social Security office in Florida checking ID’s as part of an exercise.

The Federal Protective Service has also been used by the DHS to track the political activities of peaceful advocacy groups.

Sources: https://www.fbo.gov/?s=opportunity&m...=core&_cview=0

Feds preparing for possible riots at conventions, presidential inauguration or elsewhere | Government Security News

Shelters Direct Builds Bullet Resistant Booths for Homeland Security, Shelters Dire

It's great to see our government working very hard to protect our freedom of speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 12:39 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,768,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
It's great to see our government working very hard to protect our freedom of speech.
Good post and I'm not saying you're wrong. But I do ponder the fact that anarchists could very well show up to stop others freedom of speech and stopping a riot can help restore that right.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:40 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,969,096 times
I highly doubt that there'll be riots here in Charlotte.

Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,657,101 times
Who in the heck would want to protest in Downtown Charlotte (and no, I am not being sarcastic)

Old 07-27-2012, 03:40 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,977,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Who in the heck would want to protest in Downtown Charlotte (and no, I am not being sarcastic)
Like flies being attracted to a big steaming pile of "you know what", political conventions draw protesters.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:04 PM

3,265 posts, read 3,195,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Good post and I'm not saying you're wrong. But I do ponder the fact that anarchists could very well show up to stop others freedom of speech and stopping a riot can help restore that right.
I'd put more money on some other agitators starting a false flag attack over the usual hippies.

But this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I highly doubt that there'll be riots here in Charlotte.
is more likely than not going to be the case.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:26 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Like flies being attracted to a big steaming pile of "you know what", political conventions draw protesters.
And many of them well paid.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:52 AM

310 posts, read 673,002 times
See that giant flag getting ready to fly during the convention? Yeah, you know, the false one.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:48 PM

716 posts, read 2,159,579 times
Incitement to riot is not protected under freedom of speech.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
Incitement to riot is not protected under freedom of speech.
Where (or when) did we make the leap from protesting peacefully, to inciting riots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: