Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 02:58 PM

16 posts, read 29,807 times

Advertisements

We are seriously considering transferring to Charlotte with my husband's company. We have a daughter who would be a freshman, so schools are extremely important. How would you rank these High Schools?
Hough, Cox Mill, Hickory Ridge, Bandys and Lake Norman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 04:39 PM

28 posts, read 45,326 times
No rankings from me, but can provide some information. Hough is relatively new in Huntersville and does have a good reputation and from what I can tell strong academics - have several friends who have children there. I live in Cabarrus, so know more about Cox Mill and Hickory Ridge. I would say academically both are strong and competitive schools and both are good choices - it really depends on where in Cabarrus you want to live. My kids go to Hickory Ridge and we have been very pleased with the school, teachers and academics. Don't know about Bandys or Lake Norman.

Old 07-10-2013, 06:38 PM

Thank you......very helpful!!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times
Do you know where your husband would be working? I had never even heard of Bandys before and had to google it to figure out where it was. Catawba County isn't even in the Charlotte MSA.

The rest of them all seem to have pretty good reputations.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:46 PM

He would be working in Davidson on Lake Norman. We want to stay within 20mins or so of Davidson.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
Our son has just graduated from Lake Norman and we have no major complaints. I can't compare it with any personal experience of any other US schools but the school and our son exceeded our expectations since moving here from England 4 years ago. He attended a high school there that was rated as one of the better ones in the area and Lake Norman was a definite improvement.
Lake Norman was awarded the Blue ribbon award last year- it's the 4th school in the Iredell Statesville School system to have won it.

Also-depending on where you wanted to live in Mooresville you might want to look at Mooresville graded school district which mostly serves zip 28115.
Assume you've looked at the NC report cards
NC School Report Cards and the graduation rates Accountability Services

Looks like the 2 Cabarrus county schools and Lake Norman have >95% grad rates for 2011-2012 graduation. I couldn't see Hough on the list- maybe it's too new but I didn't think it was just a year old.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:48 AM

Thank you!

Old 07-11-2013, 01:06 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,428,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather H View Post
Thank you!
You're very welcome.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:10 PM

17 posts, read 30,090 times
My daughter graduated from Hough in 2012 ... its first graduating class. She LOVED it. It is a beautiful facility set off by itself among the trees ... great school spirit ... very good sports teams ... strong academics. I don't want to be controversial, but she earlier attended Pine Lake Prep (charter school) and would not recommend it... too much drama among teachers/administrators (at the time). Also, from what I overheard among the kids, I would evaluate the drug situation at Lake Norman before making a decision ... again, no controversy intended. No school is immune, of course.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:17 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,958,152 times
If you go with Hough make sure to check in on the bomb threats. They had a few within a few weeks. Not saying anything against the school but if it was my child I would want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte