Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 08:14 AM

19 posts, read 52,112 times

Advertisements

Folks,

As is with many of us in the area, our roof suffered heavy damage from the April 11 hailstorm. We requested and had our insurance adjuster come by and detail the roof. The insurance company decided to buy us a new roof. Checked with the company to ensure that this is documented as an Act of God and that it will not have any adverse impact on the premium and the relationship. This is where the good part ends...

This year, five days prior to renewal, we get a letter from the insurance company on their decision of denial to renew citing the hail damage. Been with the same insurance company without any claims for six years before the hail hit us.

Has anyone else been through this? Can an insurance company deny service for a claim resulting from an Act of God. What legal recourse does one have in such cases? Is there any consumer protection laws that can be invoked.

One can always shop for another insurer for home insurance. Do I need to close this episode in a way that it does not hamper my record in some way or jeopardize my search for a new insurer.

Thanks for any/all insight on the subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2012, 08:17 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Shop for another carrier..... Check out Connie Weidman insurance, she is a c-d poster and got me good rates!

Old 08-17-2012, 08:25 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Shop for another carrier..... Check out Connie Weidman insurance, she is a c-d poster and got me good rates!
thank you...

Old 08-17-2012, 08:29 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,198,784 times
That's precisely why I'm so careful about ever filing a claim or even *calling* my insurance company. They can and do even file phone conversations as closed claims believe it or not.

For all you know, the previous homeowner had a bunch of claims on the property which is jacking the risk factor for insurers. After all, their business now is more about making money than providing a valuable service... thanks to the insurance lobby they are free to pillage and plunder. There's nothing you can do except hope you can find another provider. You may end up with higher rates on your next policy...

Old 08-17-2012, 08:47 AM

1,226 posts, read 2,373,883 times
Yes, they can choose to not renew for any reason. No, they cannot give you less than 30 days. Who is the carrier?

http://www.ncdoi.com/_Publications/C...rance_CHO1.pdf

That is NC insurance guide to homeowners insurance, which clearly states the carrier has to give you 30 dates if they decide not to renew.

The April 11th claim does not carry a surcharge, as it's catastrophic. If that is the only issue (you bundle your car, your home is primary and not very old), you shouldn't have a problem shopping for new insurance.

You can call the department of insurance to file a complain, but in the meantime I would shop.

Old 08-17-2012, 01:10 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,345,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by logi_in View Post
Folks,

As is with many of us in the area, our roof suffered heavy damage from the April 11 hailstorm. We requested and had our insurance adjuster come by and detail the roof. The insurance company decided to buy us a new roof. Checked with the company to ensure that this is documented as an Act of God and that it will not have any adverse impact on the premium and the relationship. This is where the good part ends...

This year, five days prior to renewal, we get a letter from the insurance company on their decision of denial to renew citing the hail damage. Been with the same insurance company without any claims for six years before the hail hit us.

Has anyone else been through this? Can an insurance company deny service for a claim resulting from an Act of God. What legal recourse does one have in such cases? Is there any consumer protection laws that can be invoked.

One can always shop for another insurer for home insurance. Do I need to close this episode in a way that it does not hamper my record in some way or jeopardize my search for a new insurer.

Thanks for any/all insight on the subject.
Happened to me after being with the same company for almost 25 years and 2 claims one in 88 the other in 2010. Shop.

Old 08-17-2012, 02:40 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,167,323 times
It is normal that insurance companies are there to be profitable (as they should, like any other business), but their "high risk" assessments are many times bordering the ridicule. Of course they love us paying for years and never making a claim - I'm one of those "ideal customers" that never had an insurance house or car claim for over 20 years.

However, it bothers me to think that when time will come for me to make a claim I'll be treated as the "bad guy", a high risk, and then have the insurance canceled on me (while the record will be stained and most likely my cost will be bumped up by the new company).
What happened to the over $50,000 (no interest added in over 20 years) I have paid in all this time?

I would've been better off not to not pay any insurance and save all that money (more than enough for a roof or car replacement). I see insurance as a bet with us customers that insurance companies overall win all the time.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:43 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,394,149 times
I believe insurance companies now also factor in your credit score to do their risk assessment..

Old 08-17-2012, 04:59 PM

19 posts, read 52,112 times
My credit score is not the issue here as per them....unless they are mis-stating the reason for denial. They stated and I quote "Reason for this action: Our reason for non-renewing your policy is for the loss below. Hail Damage".

Makes me wonder if the "red umbrella" company is the type of carrier that lends or pretends to lend you an umbrella in fair weather and asks for it back when it begins to rain.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:47 PM

48 posts, read 109,742 times
The exact same thing happened to us. Hail damage, new roof, first claim ever... no renewal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte