Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2012, 02:59 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,982,198 times

Advertisements

If you are going to the events at the DNC, you might want to add some extra time if you plan to use Lynx. CATS in its wisdom decided to run a a holiday schedule today despite this event being in town, and this means the trains were horrendously crowded and people waiting at stations near downtown couldn't get onto the train. There are also very long lines at the few ticket machines since most people riding would not be going on passes. Early in the day there were people there to help with the complicated and very slow machines, but they went somewhere and the lines got long. Round trip ticket costs $4 for each adult.

CATS eventually started running more trains, but this caused a different problem. Due to security there is only one station open inside of I-277, Stonewall. It's that little platform behind the convention center. It's not equipped to handle trains disgorging so many people at once, since this is the terminal location, and then there are tons waiting to get onto the train. It's also 3 flights of stairs to get up there. Mass crowded confusion. At least everyone was being patient and considerate to each other.

Despite these issues, I heard a lot of positive comments from the crowds about the train in that a city as small as Charlotte had managed to get one. Hopefully conditions will get better on it this week. This is only to let you know that it can take a long time to get downtown via this method, but it's better than trying to drive into downtown which is practically impossible. I parked at the Woodlawn P&R and there was no parking there so be prepared to look around. I recommend Tyvola since it has a bigger lot.

(Don't take a baby stroller. It's insanity)

Reminded me of this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 05:25 PM

239 posts, read 377,287 times
are u talking about CATS or LYNX.???? cause to my knowledge, those 2 are NOT the same thing. Your thread HEADING says Lynx, but your post talks about CATS. So are you talking about the BUS or the TRAIN?

and FYI: for any THINKING HUMAN BEING, dont be surprised if theres traffic and crowdedness. That average-intelligent American would not expect things to be easy with an influx of 100,000 people in a small area.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:40 PM

CATS operates Lynx. CATS = Charlotte Area Transit System and includes both the train and buses.

I assumed everyone knew this. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:53 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,369,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It's also 3 flights of stairs to get up there. Mass crowded confusion.
The Stonewall Station has two exits. You can go north towards the stairs, or you can go south towards a ramp that takes you here.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post

and FYI: for any THINKING HUMAN BEING, dont be surprised if theres traffic and crowdedness. That average-intelligent American would not expect things to be easy with an influx of 100,000 people in a small area.
I'm glad you figured this out, but my post wasn't about any of this. it was about the fact that CATS has 3 of the 4 downtown stations closed, the scheduling of the trains, difficulties with P&R and issues with the ticket machines that MAY lead to unexpected delays in getting there. I did not know about the Stonewall station change until after I got on the change.

These are unusual issues for CATS & Lynx as I've never seen such issues even during events that have more people than this. I don't think the stations have ever been closed. This is why I created this topic. I'm sorry you took some sort of offense at it. None was intended.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:15 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,369,581 times
Quote:
I'm glad you figured this out, but my post wasn't about any of this. it was about the fact that CATS has 3 of the 4 downtown stations closed, the scheduling of the trains, difficulties with P&R and issues with the ticket machines that MAY lead to unexpected delays in getting there. I did not know about the Stonewall station change until after I got on the change.

These are unusual issues for CATS & Lynx as I've never seen such issues even during events that have more people than this. I don't think the stations have ever been closed. This is why I created this topic. I'm sorry you took some sort of offense at it. None was intended.
I agree that the closing of the other uptown stations made things more difficult. I do now understand why this was done though. Delegates as well as members of the media are able to use the other 3 stations as personal transportation from the Convention Center to the Arena (without fighting crowds). Looking back on things, this was a smart idea IMO.

Old 09-03-2012, 06:18 PM

^I thought they had been closed when I was there because Michelle Obama was at the arena. I also think I saw a vehicle (non train) parked on the tracks at the entrance of the tunnel towards the convention center station, but I could be wrong.

I do think it was a bit of a shame that most of the crowd didn't see the CTC station. It's the nicest station on the line.

Old 09-03-2012, 07:25 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,409,656 times
My favorite station to park at is Bland Street station in the Greek Isles parking lot. It was dead empty from the time I got there to the time I left. More empty than usual.

I took West Blvd to the station. No problems with traffic at all nor parking

East/West, Bland, and Carson are my favorite stations. Always easy to find places to park an just walk to the stations. I don't like other stations where it is so auto-oriented

Old 09-03-2012, 07:26 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,775,320 times
Quote:

I wouldn't apologize about the post. It is helpful. And they should have been running a full schedule on LYNX. I wonder if that was thought of or shot down by the Teamsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte