Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 02:16 PM

5 posts, read 10,618 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Charlotte from Miami, FL. My mom is moving to Ballantyne, but I am a teacher and can not afford that area. I have heard that Ballantne is like Coral Gables in Miami. So I would like to ask anyone who has moved to Charlotte from Miami to compare different areas to South Miami, Pinecrest and Kendall. This way I can imagine the area better. I am looking for a middle class neighborhood where I can afford a 4/2 house on a teachers salary. I am looking to spend between $175K and $225k. How is the Mecklenburg school district? Is the area of Lake Wylie in NC secluded or pretty urban?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2007, 02:55 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,901,867 times
I teach in Florida and am moving to Cornelius soon. Suggested good areas not far from Ballentyne and Lake Wylie are Pineville, Matthews, and Tega Cay. North of Charlotte is very popular but can be expensive. A pretty nice townhouse or terrace house can be purchased in Cornelius or Mooresville for $225K if you look around. Schools are said to be good. I have been told that Concord, Monroe, and Fort Mill have good schools. Charlotte is a big city with big city school problems. Being from Miami, you won't be faced with anything surprising. Ballentyne could be in place in the exclusive sections of south Florida as could Southpark and other areas. Pay seems to be pretty good for teachers in the Charlotte area. I know that it will be about a $10K increase for me. Good luck. You will probably like the Charlotte area. Lots going on. It is within a three hour drive from the beaches and mountains.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:42 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,549,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercy_mimi View Post
I am thinking of moving to Charlotte from Miami, FL. My mom is moving to Ballantyne, but I am a teacher and can not afford that area. I have heard that Ballantne is like Coral Gables in Miami. So I would like to ask anyone who has moved to Charlotte from Miami to compare different areas to South Miami, Pinecrest and Kendall. This way I can imagine the area better. I am looking for a middle class neighborhood where I can afford a 4/2 house on a teachers salary. I am looking to spend between $175K and $225k. How is the Mecklenburg school district? Is the area of Lake Wylie in NC secluded or pretty urban?

I don't think Ballantyne is anything like Coral Gables- if there's anything close to that in Charlotte it *may* be the Queens Road area. Coral Gables is a very "old money" area and Ballantyne doesn't have that feel to it.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:40 PM

673 posts, read 2,681,723 times
Ballantyne is not at all like Coral Gables. It more resembles Weston or Boca. You will have much more of a variety of choices to buy a 4/2 in your price range here than in Miami (maybe not in Ballantyne, but not too far from there).

Old 10-06-2007, 05:04 PM

5,137 posts, read 16,592,630 times
Ballantyne is a new city....Coral Gables is an older developed city.

Please state if you're looking for a townhome, condo, or SFR?

You can start looking on CarolinaHome.com

Old 10-06-2007, 07:59 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,027,266 times
I would say Ballentyne is more akin to Weston.

In your range I would look at Steele Creek or if you want to be in SC Fort Mill (lower Taxes)

Old 10-07-2007, 03:18 PM

448 posts, read 1,856,444 times
The Steele Creek area is almost similar to what West Kendall and Horse Country used to be maybe 10 years ago. It is nice and lots of new developments where houses go from $160K and up. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2007, 03:30 PM

435 posts, read 1,815,648 times
There are areas in Southeast Charlotte that are close to Ballantyne that you could probably afford. If you are ok with having an older house (late 70s/early 80s).

Old 10-07-2007, 03:37 PM

Thank you for your responses. I would like a house no more than 10 years old. I am not going to have a lot of money to do any renovations. I would like to stay as close to Ballantyne(where my mom is going to live) as possible. How is the area by Lake Wylie? Is Steele Creek very populated or is it more rural?

Old 10-07-2007, 03:38 PM

How far is Steele Creek from Ballantyne?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte