Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:13 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
According to another blog that I read, we may not have even known about it if WBTV had not been listening to the police radio and managed to get a crew over there while Jones was still talking to the police.
Isn't that usually the case? The police don't publicize specific crimes, do they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 07:59 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Isn't that usually the case? The police don't publicize specific crimes, do they?
Not typically. I think the point is . . . what crappy reporting we have in so much of the media here in Charlotte. What a reporter used to do "back in the day" is literally go through police reports at the station daily. I guess if they don't catch it on a scanner now, no one puts in much time sifting through reports.

Then you follow up with victims and witnesses (if they wish to talk to media) - and you create a story, adding in other tidbits from officers, perp description, info. In coming days, you update the report with any new info, an arrest, etc.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
You guys have proven this to me: I am far more terrified of the (increasingly growing amount of) trigger-happy vigilantes than I am of ANY thug. I have dealt with gangs, with crazy people and have had my life threatened. Never felt the need or desire to shoot someone. People who have lived around that kind of thing really do know better.

!
You are obviously implying that none of us have lived in hostile places or have common sense? Don't flatter yourself. Most of us country bumpkins are aware that gangs are mostly interested in confronting other gangs. We also are smart enough to avoid seemingly abandoned alleys after dark, and can sense a "thug."

I believe you are misinterpreting what we are saying. None of us "feel the need or desire to shoot someone." That isn't what we are talking about. We are discussing self defense and being prepared when and if the situation occurs. If having a conceiled weapon permit and being prepared for an unfortunate violent situation is your interpretation of "trigger-happy vigilantes," you are missing something.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:25 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
I was driving through Utah on my way to California late one night and was 117 miles from the next service station or facility of any sort. My wife and I stopped for dinner at a small cafe on the side of the highway. As we sat, two really shady looking individuals kept watching us. We were sitting at a booth and they were on bar stools at the counter. I was getting a bit suspicious as it was pretty obvious that they were plotting something.

We left the cafe and they followed us into the parking lot. I quickly unlocked the doors and noticed that one of the guys was walking around to my wifes side of the car and one on mine. I shut my door quickly and locked it and grabbed my piston as my wife was tryng to quickly get in. The guy on her side forced the door wide open and started fighting his way into my car with his large knife. I was two feet or less away from him when I fired.

He never attempted to do another car jacking again. He didn't survive. His companion (in his late 50s) was held at gunpoint until the local shreiff arrived. He went back to prison after his trial. Now, years later, I try to imagine what could have happened if these two crazy bastards had taken control that night with nothing between the place we were and the next town for over 100 miles.

I didn't have a conceiled permit then. I do now. I was taken in and questioned, not charged, and released that same evening. I was in the army at the time so I was available for any other questions or court summons, etc. The two that attempted to rob us were career criminals. And, I don't consider how far away one happens to be, the instant my life or a family member's life is threatened, he's dead.

Army Game Opening Salute - YouTube

Old 10-23-2012, 09:30 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
You are obviously implying that none of us have lived in hostile places or have common sense? Don't flatter yourself. Most of us country bumpkins are aware that gangs are mostly interested in confronting other gangs. We also are smart enough to avoid seemingly abandoned alleys after dark, and can sense a "thug."

I believe you are misinterpreting what we are saying. None of us "feel the need or desire to shoot someone." That isn't what we are talking about. We are discussing self defense and being prepared when and if the situation occurs. If having a conceiled weapon permit and being prepared for an unfortunate violent situation is your interpretation of "trigger-happy vigilantes," you are missing something.
She truly is Though I do appreciate she is not afraid to die because she knows she'll be with Jesus, I don't think Jesus wants her to come to him prematurely, or without fighting for her right to life.

You have spoken my thoughts and feelings exactly.

Self protection, or the protection of any innocent person, is far from "vigilante" behavior. It is the proper behavior of responsible gun owners.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:32 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Not typically. I think the point is . . . what crappy reporting we have in so much of the media here in Charlotte. What a reporter used to do "back in the day" is literally go through police reports at the station daily. I guess if they don't catch it on a scanner now, no one puts in much time sifting through reports.

Then you follow up with victims and witnesses (if they wish to talk to media) - and you create a story, adding in other tidbits from officers, perp description, info. In coming days, you update the report with any new info, an arrest, etc.
O, I C.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:53 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
No that wasn't the point. The blog said the other stations were listening too and were given the run around by the CMPD CIO when they asked about the crime. If WBTV hadn't see it with their own eyes, the obfuscations might have buried the story.

Anyone who wants the name of the blog can DM me if they wish.

Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
No that wasn't the point. The blog said the other stations were listening too and were given the run around by the CMPD CIO when they asked about the crime. If WBTV hadn't see it with their own eyes, the obfuscations might have buried the story.

Anyone who wants the name of the blog can DM me if they wish.
Thank you for adding this info, Frewroad.

At this point, and with finding so little about the incident . . . plus Mr. Jones referring to the perp as a "gentleman" . . . I will bet you there will not even be charges filed if the perp is found. Instead, I bet Mr. Jones will just work harder to make sure the thugs in this town get more $$$$ sent to social programs which have never proven to make a damn bit of difference but are costing taxpayers millions every year.

What a crock.

Between the revolving door of justice we have in this city . . . and the fail attitude we have towards rehabbing anti-social repeat offender miscreants who don't wish to be rehabilitated (or can't be - they are psychopaths). . . no wonder the average citizen has opted to either get a concealed carry permit, travel in groups only, or simply not venture out at night.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
She truly is Though I do appreciate she is not afraid to die because she knows she'll be with Jesus, I don't think Jesus wants her to come to him prematurely, or without fighting for her right to life.

You have spoken my thoughts and feelings exactly.

Self protection, or the protection of any innocent person, is far from "vigilante" behavior. It is the proper behavior of responsible gun owners.
Obviously over the head of some. Prematurely works. LOL!!!

Old 10-23-2012, 02:19 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:

I think you'll get mixed results, especially with 2 perps in your case. If the other perp had a gun, he might've sent you to see Jesus a little early, whereas the only intent may have been to rob.

Down east NC, we all had tons of rifles, pistols, cross bows, etc. Why wait to get in the car with the gun or was the gun in the car? I have been such a situation where I told my friend to stay put, went to the car and got the gun. When they followed us out, I shot in the air a couple times (warning shots...perps scattered). Why not tell the manager to call the sheriff or take some other sort of preventive action.

I don't think what you did was smart and very dangerous in addition to lot of holes in that "story".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte