Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 03:17 PM

20 posts, read 71,883 times

Advertisements

What's the teaching market like in Charlotte? I teach elementary in California, and am thinking about a change...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 04:00 PM

Location: Too far away from the banks of the Wabash (in Belmont, NC)
9 posts, read 32,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjames View Post
What's the teaching market like in Charlotte? I teach elementary in California, and am thinking about a change...
The teaching market is good but North Carolina is a high-stakes testing state. This means that the kids are tested or preparing to be tested half of the year. So rather than learning new material they learn how to take standardized tests. When they score well on the standardized tests, the school ranks better. Hence, the schools push the teachers to prepare the children for the material that is going to be on the test. This leaves huge gaps in other part of the curriculum b/c too much time is used for the preparation.

I'd try South Carolina if you want to move here but I'm not sure if they also use high-stakes testing. My wife who is an elementary school teacher said that she would never send our kids to a public school in North Carolina (luckily we don't have children yet).

Old 10-12-2007, 04:28 PM

241 posts, read 755,820 times
According to a lady I work with, CMS cant hire enough people. She taught Special Education in Charlotte for 4 years before she got 'burned out.' I know there are some exams to take. Praxis? She also talked about getting her M.A. so she can move up the ladder. CMS has kind of a bad rep, but not all schools have poor performance. Just put your name in the hat and see what happens! Best...
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjames View Post

Old 10-12-2007, 07:51 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,911,241 times
I just returned from California where I visited a young teacher in her classroom. Later in a conversation about teaching in California vs teaching in NC I learned that with an MS she earns $70,000 a year for 9 months. I know that the cost of living is terribly high out there, however, I don't think that any school system in NC can match that salary. Of course, she and her husband could not hope to buy a house near her school (houses probably start at around $600,000) if it were not for the fact that in her area of California, the Monterey Peninsula, the government does help teachers buy houses at reduced prices. I don't know how widespread her situation is, but I think you should be warned that teachers' salaries are much lower in NC than in California even if houses are much less.

We certainly do need teachers here and I do urge you to look into the whole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: