Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2013, 05:54 PM

31 posts, read 43,535 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am relocating from NYC and am looking for some suggestions for towns/neighborhoods for my wife and 3 year old. Since we will be working in the city I would prefer not to have a monsterous commute to and from work each day. Id like to keep it below 45 minutes each way if possible. I would like to rent something in the 1200-1800 range. Can anyone help give me some ideas of nice places to live in the suburban Charlotte area? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 07:58 AM

328 posts, read 616,385 times
I commuted back and forth between Concord (where I worked) and CLT (where I lived) and found it to be totally do-able. Prior to that, I both lived and worked in Concord, so I know it well and encourage you to check it out. The "urban sprawl" part of Concord is largely around 85 and along the edge of the Charlotte border (this is also where the speedway is). A lot of folks find this part of Concord to be undesirable (lots of chain restaurants, big box stores and an outlet mall), but it is convinient and I have friends who live in this area and really like it. Moving north into Concord, there are a lot of housing developments in nice neighborhoods and (the biggest draw in my opinion) really beautiful parks and rural areas up in the northeast. Concord also has a borgeoning arts and cultural scene in its downtown district, which is also really worth seeing during art walks and gallery nights.

During my daily commute, it took me 40 minutes to drive from south of uptown (near Clanton) to the center of Concord. However, the caveat is that I was always riding against traffic - so the commute is likely longer if you live in Concord and work in CLT.

Other spots you might want to check out nearby would be Harrisburg (lots of families live there and commute down 29 into the city), Huntersville, Davidson (really beautiful) and parts of southern Kannapolis. All of these are to the north of CLT. Hope this helps a little!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:35 PM

186 posts, read 436,600 times
Do you want to rent as just an interim solution, or do you want to rent in an area you might ultimately like to buy? Do you want to rent a house, condo or apartment? If you plan to rent so you can consider buying, some more information would be useful... future home size, future home price, lot size, importance of schools, importance of amenities. Your price range will get you into most of the suburbs around Charlotte which include Ballantyne (South CLT), Matthews (SE CLT), Mint Hill (SE CLT), Huntersville (N CLT), University City (NE CLT), Davidson (Lake Norman area), Cornelius (Lake Norman area), Mooresville (Lake Norman area) SouthPark (S CLT) and all of these will be a 45 minute commute or less, Mooresville commute would be pushing the outer boundary of 45 minutes. Union County is also a potential option, but that commute is longer. Bottom line, tons of options, but single family home rentals do get snapped up quickly.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:16 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
Do you want to rent as just an interim solution, or do you want to rent in an area you might ultimately like to buy? Do you want to rent a house, condo or apartment? If you plan to rent so you can consider buying, some more information would be useful... future home size, future home price, lot size, importance of schools, importance of amenities. Your price range will get you into most of the suburbs around Charlotte which include Ballantyne (South CLT), Matthews (SE CLT), Mint Hill (SE CLT), Huntersville (N CLT), University City (NE CLT), Davidson (Lake Norman area), Cornelius (Lake Norman area), Mooresville (Lake Norman area) SouthPark (S CLT) and all of these will be a 45 minute commute or less, Mooresville commute would be pushing the outer boundary of 45 minutes. Union County is also a potential option, but that commute is longer. Bottom line, tons of options, but single family home rentals do get snapped up quickly.
How can Mooresville be 45 minutes? Mooresville is 30 miles out & Kings Mountain is 30 miles out. It's 1 hour in rush hour traffic to the CMC area (including parking) from Kings Mountain. There is less traffic on the west side.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM

55 posts, read 78,856 times
We are also from NYC and we relocated a year ago. You and your family will love it here nothing compare to NYC stress. Here is a list on where you can look

* Matthews
* Mint Hill
* Ballantyne

Those 3 options I gave you are located in Mecklenburg County. Wish you and your wife good luck

Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 PM

186 posts, read 436,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
How can Mooresville be 45 minutes? Mooresville is 30 miles out & Kings Mountain is 30 miles out. It's 1 hour in rush hour traffic to the CMC area (including parking) from Kings Mountain. There is less traffic on the west side.
Mooresville is between exits 30 and 36, Uptown is exit 10, so its between 20 and 26 miles. Today at rush hour, my commute from Uptown to exit 25 took 28 minutes, so an extra 5-11 miles could add another 15-20 minutes. You would have to routinely make this drive to know that these days, the bottleneck is almost entirely at mile marker 19 to exit 23 which would hold you up for about 15 min and then its fairly easy to move through the area between 40-55 mph. Besides, I noted that Mooresville would be pushing the outer boundary of 45 minutes... it would also depend heavily on what time you need to commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte