Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 06:25 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,903,517 times

Advertisements

Is is politically incorrect to show respect for those that died in WWII potecting our freedom? Is it uncool to mention that on this day,7 decades ago, the Japanese attacked Pearl which started our involvement in a war with their nation? Unfortunately, the rewriting of reality, ellimination of truisms, and distortions are typical of what is in our history textbooks today. Today's society is more obsessed with making people feel good and political correctness than the realities from which we can learn and strive for a better world. Shame on your Charlotte Observer. You are truly the Charlotte Disturber.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:35 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,978,301 times
Amazing. It's also the 40th Anniversary of the takeoff Nasa's last manned mission to the Moon.

The Charlotte Observer has ceased to be relevant. It's at best a tabloid full of adverts, reprints of AP articles with no context and a very few non-area specific articles churned out by McClatchy. They fired all their good talent and out-sourced much of their production. I doubt it will be around a decade from now.

(I don't know if the Moon anniversary is mentioned in the paper or not because I no longer bother with the Observer.)

Old 12-07-2012, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
It's also the 40th Anniversary of the takeoff Nasa's last manned mission to the Moon.

The Charlotte Observer has ceased to be relevant. It's at best a tabloid full of adverts, reprints of AP articles with no context and a very few non-area specific articles churned out by McClatchy. They fired all their good talent and out-sourced much of their production. I doubt it will be around a decade from now.

(I don't know if the Moon anniversary is mentioned in the paper or not because I no longer bother with the Observer.)
My next project is to cancel my subscription. Other than the crossword puzzle and an occasional coupon, it is the worst newspaper that I have ever had delivered to my door. Hell, is Grit still around? LOL!

Old 12-07-2012, 08:03 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,267,015 times
There's a front page article on the attack with a picture. A woman wrote a story 71 years ago for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin directed at Hawaii's women. It wasn't published because editors thought the graphic content would be too upsetting.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...ers-pearl.html

This also is on the Observer web site.

There's also a mention on Page 10B. Today in History.

What paper are you looking at? I worry lot more about the credibility of posters on this web site than I do about the Observer's service to the community.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:35 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,025,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post
There's a front page article on the attack with a picture. A woman wrote a story 71 years ago for the Honolulu Star-Bulletin directed at Hawaii's women. It wasn't published because editors thought the graphic content would be too upsetting.

71 years later, Pearl Harbor account finally gets published | CharlotteObserver.com

What paper are you looking at? I worry lot more about the credibility of posters on this web site than I do about the Observer's service to the community.
Thank you. I am always amazed how a baseless complaint gets spread around like it was the truth.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCDave View Post

71 years later, Pearl Harbor account finally gets published | CharlotteObserver.com

I suppose what is good enough for you isn't good enough for me. The article is about Elizabeth McIntosh and her personal experience. It wasn't a tribute. Get it?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:51 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,267,015 times
The subject of this thread is "Pearl Harbor Day, no mention in Observer." There are two mentions of Pearl Harbor in today's Observer. One is on the front page. The point of the article is that many people were affected by the attack.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:57 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,025,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
The article is about Elizabeth McIntosh and her personal experience. Maybe you didn't understand that? I am concerned about the soldiers, sailors and airmen that were caught in this attack, not her personal experience. I would like to have seen a tribute to our military. I guess those that haven't served don't care about this sort of thing.
You said there was no mention. You made that up. The thing about a newspaper is that it presents new information. It's not a dry history magazine. This gives a new angle on the event. We have heard the stories of soldiers and sailors ad nauseum in the 71 years since this happened. There are plenty of tributes out there. You really enjoy getting offended over imagined sleights, don't you?

Old 12-07-2012, 11:06 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,716,930 times
I'm a baby boomer. My father was drafted into the army-air corps & my mother was a "Rosie the Riveter" in a foundry during WWII. I'd rather read a first-hand account of what happened to the civilians & survivors than yet another empty tribute to the military victims.

Written accounts bring events to life in a way that a tribute never does.

Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm a baby boomer. My father was drafted into the army-air corps & my mother was a "Rosie the Riveter" in a foundry during WWII. I'd rather read a first-hand account of what happened to the civilians & survivors than yet another empty tribute to the military victims.

Written accounts bring events to life in a way that a tribute never does.
A draftee? Wow!! I thought that practically everyone volunteered to serve in that war. I understand your not seeing a tribute as being a salute to those that gave their lives. I personally don't care to read about a personal experience when thousands died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte