Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 03:30 AM

17 posts, read 31,256 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are planning a move to Charlotte, NC in the next year or so. Since this is a big move and one where we hope to establish roots with our 2 children (current ages 10 & 12). We hope to have insider perspective and would like to have more recent info if anyone still uses this forum?
I have researched and have narrowed it down to 2 possibilities, which are in completely opposite directions of one another. The main reasons for these 2 locations is the info I have gathered on the schools (middle; Brawley vs. Marvin Ridge)( HS; Lake Norman vs. Marvin Ridge) Both seem to have good academics and good athletics (specifically girls soccer) Lake Norman seems to have a higher ranking in women's soccer than Marvin Ridge, but Marvin Ridge seems to offer a bit more academically. But it's more than that too, it's overall quality of life, we really like the idea of living with access to a lake, but is lake use only realistic in summer months? The neighborhood and country clubs in both locations are appealing as well. Fortunately at this moment a job is not a factor. We can afford most the housing for both locations as well as the club memberships for both locations. I guess what I'd really like to know is, is the lake worth the traffic and the possible difficulty of day to day life (commute to school, groceries, gym, coffee w/friends, restaurant variety & extra curricular activities, such as dance and/or gymnastics?) We are planning a visit this summer and would like to stay in both areas for about a week each, I know it is a short time, but it's all I have for now.
We have lived in the area of Los Angeles most of our lives and know what real traffic is like. We have also lived in a rural area for the last few years and know what "country" people consider traffic to be is not the same as LA. We "think" the areas could be a good compromise, between the rural country and the city (not like the suburbs of Southern Ca.) meaning still open areas with trees and countryside, not just one city blending into the next (LA) and the access to a large city if needed or desired. Any and all feed back is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 AM

1 posts, read 1,696 times
Moved to Marvin 6 years ago. At the time looked at Lake Norman as well. Chose Marvin and couldn't be happier. Traffic was our biggest issue with Lake Norman. The schools were also a big factor. Marvin did not have IB at the time which has helped to make the school one of the best in the Carolinas. As to the athletics, Marvin middle school and high school have very strong athletics. The womens and mens soccer teams at the high school are both winners of the state championship after only 4 years of existence. I don't think that Lake Norman has won the state championship for either at this point. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Enjoy your visit and best of luck with your decision.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:26 PM

309 posts, read 766,587 times
While we did not consider the LN area, we chose Marvin for the outstanding schools (we came from an area of NY known for its excellent schools so this was most important). We also like the more rural feel of Marvin.

As for the traffic, there's general traffic and then there's summer lake traffic. It's one thing to deal with commuting, it's another to deal with it while going about daily life.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM

175 posts, read 413,077 times
The schools are not terribly different so you are smart to look at the other aspects. Traffic in neither location is anything like LA, however the lake traffic is worse and can be frustrating even on a good day. If you are looking for quality of life then Marvin is likely going to be a better option. At the lake you have....the lake. If you want upscale shopping you will have to drive to south Charlotte, which is a short drive from Marvin. Excellent dining, shopping at Southpark Mall...its all in south Charlotte. You do not want to make the journey from the lake on a regular basis to access that area of town, but from Marvin its a short trip. Another bonus in south Charlotte is excellent private schools should that be a desire down the line...Charlotte Latin is one of the finest in the nation, just throwing that out in case you had any inclination. You'd be out of luck at the lake if you ever wanted to go private. On the other hand, they do have a nice lake up there so its gotta be what you think the overall best option is when you weigh it all. I'd strongly advise you to examine the shopping/dining options if that is important to you. I know people who moved to the lake and were shocked at the lack of both.

Old 05-07-2013, 03:45 AM

17 posts, read 31,256 times
Question more ? on Lake Norman vs. Marvin Ridge for living

Marvin Resident: Thank you for the info I did not have much info on the athletics program so i appreciate you taking the time to share it.

Somersmom: I like the idea of a rural feel to an area. Is it because the lots are spacious or as you are driving about in your daily activities, are there still open fields with horses or cows or even goats? Or do all the trees give it that feel? I am not being sarcastic I would like to know about the overall feel to a place, because for us that is important. We would like very much the feel of rural, but with the conveniences of urban near by.
also thank you for the input on the traffic on a daily basis. I hope it's not too horrible as we have booked a lake rental for a week this summer in order to get an idea of living there. We also booked 5 days in South Charlotte to try and get a feel for it too. Any more input would be helpful. Are you pleased with the Marvin schools?

bigdaddyd: great information, just the things I wanted to know in regards to daily living. Especially the comparison to LA traffic. How about the people in both areas? Is everyone rushing around so much that they aren't able to take the time to say hello to one another? Does one community feel a bit more cohesive than the other perhaps? These are things we can't know with just a short visit to the area.

thank you all again for any and all input

Last edited by jakbien; 05-07-2013 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: wrong word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: