Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,989,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If I was flying to a non-UK destination, I don't think I would care much for using London as a gateway city. It seems to me it would be much easier to fly to one of the gateway cities in the USA to jump off to any point on the globe.
So long as they are major, for sencond tier European cities there is much higher need for a local gateway

Going to Paris or Rome etc sure but going to Hanover Germany maybe not so much

The same can be said heading the other way. Going to NYC or Chicago you will likely go direct but going to Nashville or Pittsburgh not so much. To me why the combined AA can fuction with TATL hubs in CLT and PHL and maintain a focus on O&D via JFK etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 AM

1,241 posts, read 2,324,460 times
Quote:
If I was flying to a non-UK destination, I don't think I would care much for using London as a gateway city. It seems to me it would be much easier to fly to one of the gateway cities in the USA to jump off to any point on the globe.
Nor would I. Wouldn't you have to go through customs twice if you did? Once when entering the UK and then again when you entered the EU? So far, I have only flown into countries covered by the Schengen agreement.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:31 AM

848 posts, read 1,122,152 times
Quote:
Completely agree -- I would absolutely fly to LGW if I were traveling within the UK or even just doing a short hop.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,731,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sepulgeek View Post
Nor would I. Wouldn't you have to go through customs twice if you did? Once when entering the UK and then again when you entered the EU? So far, I have only flown into countries covered by the Schengen agreement.
London is in the EU. You go through customs once.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:27 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,980,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
London is in the EU. You go through customs once.
It's more complicated than this. The UK is a special case. If you fly to London and connect at the airport to another international flight then you will be checked at customs only at your final destination in the EU.

If however you depart the airport, you are deemed a visitor to the UK and you will have to clear customs in the UK. Then if you are a non-EU passport holder and wish to travel into Europe, you will have to clear customs again at the final destination in Europe. This is because the UK is not part of the agreement listed above.

It's confusing at best because they tend to change laws a lot.

Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,339,609 times
Wife and I went to Italy in May. We looked at flying nonstop, Charlotte to Rome, US Air nonstop service starts in May. It was around $1200 roundtrip. We ended up flying CLT to Newark, then to Frankfurt, and then to Naples. I know, 3 flights! I was a little worried but our suitcases were waiting for us when we got to baggage claim in Naples. We flew home from Milan (direct to Newark, then back to CLT). Tickets were $850 each so total savings for 2 people was $700. I had to do it, although some would pay more for the nonstop flight.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:52 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,361,008 times
old thread, but here's somewhat of an update

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed.../#79587c3927f3

Old 09-30-2017, 08:37 PM

386 posts, read 367,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
old thread, but here's somewhat of an update: "Charlotte could get more Europe flights"
Not a bad thing despite existing direct flights already covering the shorter distances to Europe, but, oh, for a direct flight to Asia ...

Old 09-30-2017, 10:17 PM

1,195 posts, read 988,535 times
I often book from Atlanta instead of Charlotte, just because it's cheaper to London Heathrow. Charlotte has cheaper economy parking.

I really hope CLT airport continues to grow with more direct international flights, like Shanghai or New Delhi like Newark has.

Old 10-01-2017, 10:08 AM

386 posts, read 367,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kynight View Post
I really hope CLT airport continues to grow with more direct international flights, like Shanghai or New Delhi like Newark has.
Or, Tokyo, Seoul, HK for local purposes or as better launch points to all over Asia. For example, American with partners Cathay and Dragonair. This should be a massive push by CLT and NC political and particularly business leaders based on obvious East and South Asian growth upside, not nearly so much just another or few European flights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: