Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2013, 10:34 PM

9 posts, read 10,315 times

Advertisements

We have 4 young children ages infant-7 years old. We're moving form Los Angeles to NC. I've done much research online about the varies cities and Raleigh seems to suit us every time. We're looking for good schools, family friendliness, eco living or eco forward movement and just safe and health good living. I'm a bit concerned about living so far from the coast. I've been a coastal person my whole life. But from my research, the coastal areas don't seem as kid friendly. Maybe I'm missing something? What about Charlotte? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 02:41 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,977,057 times
Both the Raleigh and Charlotte areas have huge areas that are mostly families with kids. It's about as kid friendly as you can get in the USA. If you are looking for something at the coast, keep in mind there really are not any large cities in the Carolinas that are located on the coast. Charlotte is about a 3 hour drive to the SC coast, Raleigh is about a 2.5 hour drive to the NC coast. Charlotte is also about a 2 hour drive to the NC Mountains if that interests you.

However, if this is where you wish to live at the coast, Wilmington and Charleston make for excellent areas though they are much smaller metro areas. I would not recommend the Myrtle Beach/Georgetown area. While Charleston & Wilmington have a lot of tourist traffic, there is also a significant middle class in both cities. The downside to living on the Atlantic Coast however, is that it is in "Hurricane Alley". You can expect at least one major disrupting event about every 10 years. Inland cities like Charlotte and Raleigh are less likely to be affected.

Beyond this, you will need to give more specific information about your requirements before I could better recommend one of these places.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:33 PM

Thank you for your reply. I should add, that we are a multiracial family. We have 4 kids, 3 of which are adopted, 2 from China. We're prefer to be in an area that has a good mix of races. We are an organic, eco friendly type family.. If that makes sense. We're not looking for city life, but don't want to be out in the sticks either. We just want an overall slower, nicer, less expensive lifestyle then we are in here in Los Angeles. Thanks!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:16 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,981,246 times
Charlotte versus Raleigh threads can go downhill very fast on here. But I don't think there is a strong reason to favor one over the other based on what you've said so far. Hunt for jobs in both and be flexible where you end up.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:02 PM

Thanks. I can see that. It seems as though people are either for one town or the other. Job is not an issue. That's why I have the flexibility to go either cities or coast.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:26 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times
You haven't said WHY you chose NC--job transfer? Some other specific thing? That will affect whether Raleigh, Charlotte, the coast, or somewhere else is best for you. NC, like California, is a large and diverse state. Have you ever been here? If not, why have you chosen this state?

I am curious why you think the coast is not kid-friendly? That is an unusual observation.

More details will aid people in responding.

Last edited by Francois; 02-17-2013 at 12:15 AM..

Old 02-16-2013, 11:39 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,184,437 times
FWIW, Raleigh to Wilmington on the coast is about a two hour trip. If one leaves Raleigh at rush hour, it could take a bit longer. If you are pushing it (but not so much that you will get a ticket), the trip can easily be done in 1 hour 45 minutes. It's never taken me more than two hours.
Disclosure: I leave from DT Raleigh.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,428,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAApril View Post
Thank you for your reply. I should add, that we are a multiracial family. We have 4 kids, 3 of which are adopted, 2 from China. We're prefer to be in an area that has a good mix of races. We are an organic, eco friendly type family.. If that makes sense. We're not looking for city life, but don't want to be out in the sticks either. We just want an overall slower, nicer, less expensive lifestyle then we are in here in Los Angeles. Thanks!
I have 2 adopted children as well, and one being Chinese. I think based on this, Raleigh might be a better choice. Charlotte still have a somewhat conservative bend, but is changing with all the transplants that have or are moving here. Neighborhoods, still are mostly non-diverse. Give it some time, and I think that changes, but not so much now. I think that there are more things to do for a young family in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte