Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 09:04 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,384,100 times

Advertisements

But downtown Mooresville is on the side without the money...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 09:12 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,693,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
But downtown Mooresville is on the side without the money...
Hey it's just my opinion. I don't like the Gastonia Loft idea.

And from what I just saw online these lofts started selling in 2010. 16 units. Still not sold out. I know we have the real estate crisis, but the units are incredibly cheap. They are being advertised as less than $650/mo (mortgage, with down payment assistance). Oh Well.

You guys should take that 10 min drive to Gastonia this weekend and put in a contract.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 AM

3,873 posts, read 4,297,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
It didn't go over my head. I wasn't comparing Atlanta to Charlotte. I guess you were. I never said Charlotte was rural (better word). But Gastonia is! It's basically hick. If the developers (these small towns love the developers...I wonder why) want to pursue this go for it. But it's a bad idea. This type of development really doesn't make sense. Uptown has issues selling Condo's, so now a developer wants to build lofts in a rural area. OK.
"Hick" is an extremely subjective term as you might properly fit that description relative to a certain class or net worth. The entire metro is growing, so Gastonia price points might be more acceptable or workable for certain people. Even in Atlanta, the urbanity hickness is rampant with respect the limited walkable, livable or affordable sections of town...essentially you still need a car, basically, might as well be in Gas-town.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,384,100 times
Quote:

And from what I just saw online these lofts started selling in 2010. 16 units. Still not sold out. I know we have the real estate crisis, but the units are incredibly cheap. They are being advertised as less than $650/mo (mortgage, with down payment assistance). Oh Well.

You guys should take that 10 min drive to Gastonia this weekend and put in a contract.
I agree that a loft in downtown Gastonia or even Mooresville for that matter wouldn't be my first choice of investment. But your initial post was not even referencing the loft part of it.

Quote:
This is kind of funny. The words Gastonia and downtown. Gastonia is hillbilly land.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the incredible clairvoyance....who knows what the future holds? All it takes is a highway, business relocation, shopping center, etc to alter the situation. Will it happen, who knows? Never thought Charlotte would have NFL and NBA 30 years ago..or Atlanta would host Olympics, anything is possible.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:47 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,693,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Thanks for the incredible clairvoyance....who knows what the future holds? All it takes is a highway, business relocation, shopping center, etc to alter the situation. Will it happen, who knows? Never thought Charlotte would have NFL and NBA 30 years ago..or Atlanta would host Olympics, anything is possible.
Not clairvoyance. Planning. Bad regional planning. That was Atlanta's problem. Now they have a sprawling mess. A beautiful mess (the suburbs, housing, shopping are awesome - but a scattered mess).

It would be wise for Charlotte Metro to avoid any of these mistakes. But from what I see (migration patterns, etc...) Charlotte is growing similar to Atlanta. And again, this is just my opinion.

And so no one feels like I am slighting Charlotte (touchy-feely around here), I think that Charlotte overall has grown into a better corporate cultural environment then Atlanta. In fact, having worked in both metro's, Charlotte is the best place that I have worked. (Very professional. Very polished. Very Corporate). If I was going to move a business and I had the choice between the two, I would pick Charlotte.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Not clairvoyance. Planning. Bad regional planning. That was Atlanta's problem. Now they have a sprawling mess. A beautiful mess (the suburbs, housing, shopping are awesome - but a scattered mess).

It would be wise for Charlotte Metro to avoid any of these mistakes. But from what I see (migration patterns, etc...) Charlotte is growing similar to Atlanta. And again, this is just my opinion.

And so no one feels like I am slighting Charlotte (touchy-feely around here), I think that Charlotte overall has grown into a better corporate cultural environment then Atlanta. In fact, having worked in both metro's, Charlotte is the best place that I have worked. (Very professional. Very polished. Very Corporate). If I was going to move a business and I had the choice between the two, I would pick Charlotte.
I have never denied Charlotte's current growth pattern and clearly stated QCs only advantage is the two different eras in which the metros migrate from mid-size to potential major city (2 mill MSA to 4+mill MSA). As I said, it is amazing that Atlanta has a heavy rail transit system given its population density in the 70s...clearly the most progressive mass transit mindset of any sunbelt city.

Charlotte is already a sprawly mess, it's clearly headed in the direction of Atlanta with a much less than worthy highway/freeway system. Charlotte has a short window to alter the outcome (imo, next 10-15 years) at least make an honest attempt at minimizing the damage.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,793,764 times
Quote:
It didn't go over my head. I wasn't comparing Atlanta to Charlotte. I guess you were. I never said Charlotte was rural (better word). But Gastonia is! It's basically hick. If the developers (these small towns love the developers...I wonder why) want to pursue this go for it. But it's a bad idea. This type of development really doesn't make sense. Uptown has issues selling Condo's, so now a developer wants to build lofts in a rural area. OK.
Gastonia is not rural, in my opinion. I came here from the Philadelphia metro which is a darned site more urban than Hotlanta. I don't know if the lofts will be sold or rented, & neither do you.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 AM

23,816 posts, read 34,793,764 times
Quote:
Very big difference between Mooresville and Gastonia. One being money. Two the lake (access). Three money. Four Demographics.

I am aware that Mooresville has two sides (that's the South for you). But Mooresville is not Gastonia. If you want any proof, just look at housing prices, etc...

Anyway my opinion, was just that Gastonia and lofts is a bad idea. But I invite each of you to buy one.
There is big money in south Gastonia. You are just plain wrong.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,988,142 times
Quote:
What are you taking about....
I think I stand by what I said. It's an industrial area and has been for a long time. I don't see N. Tryon changing that much in the next few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte