Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2007, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 19,817 times

Advertisements

My job is moving to Charlotte from Atlanta this summer. Right now it looks like I will be commuting into the city on I-77 from South Carolina. Can anyone give me a comparison of the traffic between Atlanta and Charlotte. Also, can anyone tell me where and when the volume starts on 77. For instance in Atlanta if you can be where you need to be by 7am you are generally okay, but after that your commute time doubles or triples through the volume areas.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2007, 09:22 AM

1,435 posts, read 5,768,330 times
No where near the same.

I have lived in Charlotte my entire life except for 2 years of it being in Atlanta. My commute was horrible and very stressful. Many days it would take me 1 1/2 hours to go 20 miles.

The only time you would see that in Charlotte would with a MAJOR accident clogging things up or on a rainy day. For some reason everyone drives weird on rainy days here.

Let me know if you need any help or have any other questions.

Old 02-07-2007, 10:23 AM

4 posts, read 19,817 times
Thanks! I'm really looking forward to getting out of here then!

Old 02-07-2007, 03:40 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engrms01 View Post
My job is moving to Charlotte from Atlanta this summer. Right now it looks like I will be commuting into the city on I-77 from South Carolina. Can anyone give me a comparison of the traffic between Atlanta and Charlotte. Also, can anyone tell me where and when the volume starts on 77. For instance in Atlanta if you can be where you need to be by 7am you are generally okay, but after that your commute time doubles or triples through the volume areas.

Thanks!
Any time I find myself missing the Northeast, I remember the last time I drove through Atlanta, and say "NO WAY" I am too old for it any more! "The only time you would see that in Charlotte would with a MAJOR accident clogging things up or on a rainy day. For some reason everyone drives weird on rainy days here. " I agree!

Old 02-07-2007, 04:00 PM

1,453 posts, read 5,149,534 times
The rush on 77 from SC to Charlotte begins around 7 am. If you get ahead of the traffic you're fine. If you get right in the middle of it still better than Atlanta.

Old 02-08-2007, 12:23 AM

876 posts, read 3,793,385 times
Atlanta is an absolute NIGHTMARE compared to Charlotte.... Atlanta has 6 lanes each way, Charlotte has 3 and the traffic is nowhere near as bad.

As previously said, when there is a bad accident, the traffic gets REALLY bad, but thats pretty much anywhere in the US.

Atleast you can cruise through Charlotte with no problems on I-77 during lunchtime, whereas in Atlanta it never seems to let up...

Old 02-08-2007, 04:08 AM

702 posts, read 2,525,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperchargedSS View Post
Atlanta is an absolute NIGHTMARE compared to Charlotte.... Atlanta has 6 lanes each way, Charlotte has 3 and the traffic is nowhere near as bad.

As previously said, when there is a bad accident, the traffic gets REALLY bad, but thats pretty much anywhere in the US.

Atleast you can cruise through Charlotte with no problems on I-77 during lunchtime, whereas in Atlanta it never seems to let up...
Actually there are 10-12 lanes each way thru Midtown and Downtown...and there are twice as many drivers trying to get somewhere. It sucks, but it's not hard to find a solution to traffic anywhere you live. I don't drive between 6:00-9:00 am and 3:00-7:00 pm unless I'm against the rush. Problem solved.

Old 02-08-2007, 08:20 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
I drive from SC to Charlotte beginning at 8:30 a.m. and I'm at my desk by 9 a.m. The only real traffic on I-77 Northbound is at Exit 4, but it is short and once you get past that exit you are home free for the most part.

One day a couple weeks ago I saw 10 cars on the side of the road over the course of one mile (a truck had accidently dumped a bunch of screws on the highway and people were getting flat tires left and right), and I still never went below 50 mph and got to work on time. I LOVE SC-to-Charlotte traffic...it's a JOY to commute compared to my old commutes in NoNJ and NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte