Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 02:12 PM

227 posts, read 392,905 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the Bay Area, but I'm moving to Charlotte this summer. We use comcast out here, and I'm an internet-only subscriber. However, even though I don't pay for any cable channels, if I plug my tv into the cable outlet I can still get basic channels in HD quality. From what I heard, when they run the data into the house for cable internet, they can't 'shut off' the cable (or maybe they can, but they'd have to go house to house to do it, and it's not worth it for them).

Has anybody had success with this if they're internet-only with Time Warner? If not, I'll likely stick with an antenna - but it's easier and more attractive to just have it plugged into the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,702 times
With an antenna you will be able to get all the locals in HD. If the signal is not blocked by TWC, it will be their broadcast cable which is the lowest tier and is not in HD.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:18 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unthought_known View Post
Has anybody had success with this if they're internet-only with Time Warner? If not, I'll likely stick with an antenna - but it's easier and more attractive to just have it plugged into the wall.
Keep in mind that last November, the FCC changed the rules where cable companies no longer have to provide local broadcast channels in the clear. So most likely they will all move towards requiring set top boxes for even their basic broadcast subscribers. People leeching these channels off their Internet only plans will lose them.

TWC is running full DOCSIS 3.0 here along with SDV so your ability to pick up unencrypted QAM, my guess, will vary depending upon where you live in the county.

Old 02-18-2013, 03:26 PM

227 posts, read 392,905 times
Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware that the FCC did that. I'll likely just stick with the antenna then.

When I looked at pricing options, I thought it was odd that Time Warner required a box for every tv even if I subscribed to basic tv. Their broadcast tv package is only $10 extra if you get turbo internet ($65/month bundle instead of $55/month internet-only), which I thought was reasonable. Then I realized it's an extra ~$10/month for each box, and $25 one-time fee for each box over 2. So if I have 4 tv's, it'd be $50 up front plus $50/month just for broadcast tv without a dvr.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:30 PM

539 posts, read 1,498,702 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware that the FCC did that. I'll likely just stick with the antenna then.

When I looked at pricing options, I thought it was odd that Time Warner required a box for every tv even if I subscribed to basic tv. Their broadcast tv package is only $10 extra if you get turbo internet ($65/month bundle instead of $55/month internet-only), which I thought was reasonable. Then I realized it's an extra ~$10/month for each box, and $25 one-time fee for each box over 2. So if I have 4 tv's, it'd be $50 up front plus $50/month just for broadcast tv without a dvr.
That pricing seems off. I just signed up for Turbo last month and the total monthly bill is 49 and change. This is internet only as I have Directv.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:50 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Thanks for the information. I wasn't aware that the FCC did that. I'll likely just stick with the antenna then....:
Indeed. I'm a cord cutter myself and find their internet only product to be excellent. If you are streaming Netflix, Amazon, Vudu, have a Roku, etc, it's more than enough. No caps.

If you put up an antenna you will get somewhere between 25 to 32 channels. Some of these channels are not available on cable anyway (and certainly not satellite).

Old 02-18-2013, 05:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car421 View Post
That pricing seems off. I just signed up for Turbo last month and the total monthly bill is 49 and change. This is internet only as I have Directv.
There is at least one thread about how the pricing varies. I'm paying less than $40 for Turbo including the new modem fee, with no contract.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:49 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
We do this with our basement TV. We get no signal down there and have yet to put our antenna on the rooftop (huge deal as we need an amplifier and there is no plug where we need it so we will have to run power lines too.....ugh)

So, we plugged in that TV to the cable line and got every OTA channel BUT NBC. There is no NBC to be had. When the Olympics were on we had to go to a TV with an antenna.

Just be aware.

It is still working so far. If the FCC changes things we may finally get our rooftop antenna put up! ;-) Meanwhile we have 2 TVs hooked up to indoor antennas and the 3rd in the basement.

BTW: Welcome to Charlotte. We moved from SoCal several years ago now.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:51 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We do this with our basement TV. We get no signal down there and have yet to put our antenna on the rooftop (huge deal as we need an amplifier and there is no plug where we need it so we will have to run power lines too.....ugh)

So, we plugged in that TV to the cable line and got every OTA channel BUT NBC. There is no NBC to be had. When the Olympics were on we had to go to a TV with an antenna.

Just be aware.

It is still working so far. If the FCC changes things we may finally get our rooftop antenna put up! ;-) Meanwhile we have 2 TVs hooked up to indoor antennas and the 3rd in the basement.

BTW: Welcome to Charlotte. We moved from SoCal several years ago now.
If you are actually receiving OTA channels on your basement TV by using the cable wiring in your home as an antenna, then the cable company has nothing to do with it. If you are receiving cable channels on that TV, that may be because you have cable based internet, or the cable company hasn't trapped your line. In that case it has nothing to do with OTA.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant to say that we get every channel that can be had over the air except NBC, not that it was indeed OTA reception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
If you are actually receiving OTA channels on your basement TV by using the cable wiring in your home as an antenna, then the cable company has nothing to do with it. If you are receiving cable channels on that TV, that may be because you have cable based internet, or the cable company hasn't trapped your line. In that case it has nothing to do with OTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte