Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:09 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,670,170 times

Advertisements

Charlotte Offers New Incentive To Build Affordable Housing | WFAE

Translation: in a City with lackluster police coverage, lets incentivize affordable (lower income) housing, which is almost always attracts crime, so that we can introduce more crime into the nicer neighborhoods in Charlotte - thereby securing a mass exodus of middle class taxpayers into surrounding areas.

What genius this plan is !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 07:18 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,683,936 times
More housing for the average sounds fine to me.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:30 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,107,853 times
In the UK, the phrase "affordable housing" means cheaper housing, which is subsidised by those buying a new property or flat in the same development.

This subsidised housing is then passed out as a patronage item by local governments, using this "favor" to buy votes or other support.

It is corruption, through-and-through, and they HATE it when you unbundle what is going on and explain it plainly.

Is it the same in Charlotte?

Old 02-19-2013, 09:43 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,670,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
In the UK, the phrase "affordable housing" means cheaper housing, which is subsidised by those buying a new property or flat in the same development.

This subsidised housing is then passed out as a patronage item by local governments, using this "favor" to buy votes or other support.

It is corruption, through-and-through, and they HATE it when you unbundle what is going on and explain it plainly.

Is it the same in Charlotte?
No, it isn't the same, although there are problems associated with "affordable" housing.

Different demographics have different expectations, and behaviors, in housing developments.

For example: young college aged people, live a very different lifestyle than middle aged professionals. It would therefore be unwise to put young people (who might well treat their apartment like a frat house), with professionals that are paying top dollar for their unit.

Likewise, affordable, or low income housing, are often breeding grounds for crime.

South Charlotte is the safest area in Charlotte. The main reason for this, is that south Charlotte is geographically isolated from low income housing.

There is already a movement afoot by Ballantyne residents, to succeed from Charlotte. Mandating that new developments incorporate affordable housing, would only serve to further alienate said people who're already looking to succeed from the City.

It would likewise further discourage middle class residents, from buying within the City limits.

In another thread, it is repeated over and over, that Atlanta's main problem is that few people live within the City limits. Thus ATL's region encompasses several counties; even the best planners can't create a practical mass transit system to serve ATL as it's laid out - so drivers over several counties create massive traffic, yada, yada, yada.

The idea is to build a Charlotte that's desirable, as to be sought out by middle class, taxpaying, residents.

Unfortunately, in spite of Charlotte's virtues (parks, greenways, facilities), outlying suburbs offer lower crime, lower taxes, (possibly) better public schools.

Moves like affordable housing, will only drive away those residents Charlotte should wish to keep.

Last edited by NDL; 02-19-2013 at 09:52 PM..

Old 02-19-2013, 10:48 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,774,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
Charlotte Offers New Incentive To Build Affordable Housing | WFAE

Translation: in a City with lackluster police coverage, lets incentivize affordable (lower income) housing, which is almost always attracts crime, so that we can introduce more crime into the nicer neighborhoods in Charlotte - thereby securing a mass exodus of middle class taxpayers into surrounding areas.

What genius this plan is !
I'd like to see the studies that back up your theory. Or one that contradicts it. I don't think they are talking about section 8 housing here. But if you are concerned with that just remember my last post on the subject.

Here's some areas where section 8 rentals live:

Open Wait Lists - Charlotte Housing Authority

Old 02-20-2013, 12:24 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,579,559 times
Whatever your opinion on subsidized housing, if you look at the areas which have them, they are almost always trashed out. That is just the way it is. There are successful situations but overall, just drive around the city and you can spot the subsidized housing without having it pointed out.

Housing for the elderly and handicapped should be top priority and if that means additional tax dollars to provide a nice, safe environment for those folks, then I think that is appropriate. However, what often happens is - the elderly are taken advantage of by family members who (illegally) move in with them, and bring drugs and crimes to the mix.

It is what it is. Not trying to start a class war . . . sadly, people who have never been raised with any sense of pride about their environment almost always trash whatever is "given" to them.

Our Mayor stated when first elected that one of his priorities is dotting affordable housing all over the city, with special interest in putting these properties in upscale areas.

Old 02-20-2013, 01:47 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,288,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Whatever your opinion on subsidized housing, if you look at the areas which have them, they are almost always trashed out. That is just the way it is. There are successful situations but overall, just drive around the city and you can spot the subsidized housing without having it pointed out.

Housing for the elderly and handicapped should be top priority and if that means additional tax dollars to provide a nice, safe environment for those folks, then I think that is appropriate. However, what often happens is - the elderly are taken advantage of by family members who (illegally) move in with them, and bring drugs and crimes to the mix.

It is what it is. Not trying to start a class war . . . sadly, people who have never been raised with any sense of pride about their environment almost always trash whatever is "given" to them.

Our Mayor stated when first elected that one of his priorities is dotting affordable housing all over the city, with special interest in putting these properties in upscale areas.
This is not the case and the typical anectodal middle to upper class white fear mindset (us and them), it is unfounded. These aren't public housing ghettos that scare the dickens out of white people (a curse of the previous generation). Most of these places look like regular apartments and you'd have no idea it's subsidized housing and are home to many families pursuing the american dream.

People are people and given better living conditions and circumstances, most will conduct themselves accordingly....who in the hell wants to live in the hood or ghetto?...nobody.

Old 02-20-2013, 02:21 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,981,796 times
More government experiments at social engineering at great cost to the tax paying hard working public. We have had 50+ years of the government's "War on Poverty" and his is another example, and what was the result, much more poverty. Insanity is defined as doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The only thing this will accomplish is to drive the productive class out of the city limits. Why work hard for a nice home when the government will pay for it for you?

I think this will increase the incentive for people in Ballantyne to secede from Charlotte. It's why the 6 towns in Mecklenburg will never agree with the idiot Mayor's plan to consolidate the government.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:10 AM

328 posts, read 617,109 times
I think relying on anectodal evidence that neighborhoods with affordable housing are somehow less desirable (read: trashier) is unwise. I've lived in two affordable housing communities in my life and one of these was in center/west Charlotte. Placing a planned and high quality affordable housing community in that area of town has helped to make it a more desirable place to live and there was certainly not more crime in my neighborhood than there was in more populous, higher income, "safer" neighborhoods like Dilworth. In fact, it was a really bright and healthy community in which the residents - including myself - really took care of their land. I understand the need to attract residents into the city limits to avoid a CLT like ATL and I think that's totally essential; however, I don't believe that more affordable housing initiatives will prevent this from happening. In fact, I think it's another reason that Charlotte really is a thoughtful and growing place for people from all over to call home.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:21 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,813,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
More housing for the average sounds fine to me.

I second this. - We actually need more affordable housing for average people. I mean do you suggest that we continue to build mcmansions for the 1% so that they can continue to segregate themselves from the common folk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte