Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 08:17 AM

27 posts, read 76,948 times

Advertisements

We've decided to spend Christmas break in North Carolina (more specifically the Charlotte area and head to the coast maybe)- want to spend some time there before we decide if we want to make an eventual move. We would LOVE any suggestions. There are 5 of us- hubby and I, 8 y.o. boy, 6 y.o. girl and 2 y.o. boy. We will get there probably on the 23rd, so especially looking for a couple of holiday things to do. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2007, 08:19 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,892,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlodonnell View Post
We've decided to spend Christmas break in North Carolina (more specifically the Charlotte area and head to the coast maybe)- want to spend some time there before we decide if we want to make an eventual move. We would LOVE any suggestions. There are 5 of us- hubby and I, 8 y.o. boy, 6 y.o. girl and 2 y.o. boy. We will get there probably on the 23rd, so especially looking for a couple of holiday things to do. Thanks!!!
Take a ride one evening thru "Christmas Town USA" for the wonderful lights and decorations - McAdenville (near Belmont).

Old 10-23-2007, 08:23 AM

Also, don't miss an opportunity to visit Old Salem (Winston Salem, about an hour and a half from Charlotte).

These are some of the things going on during the time you will be visiting:

December 22-24
Sophie and the Ginger Cookies Puppet Show, 11:30am, 1:30pm, 2:30pm & 3:30pm. Old Salem Museums & Gardens-MESDA, 900 Old Salem Road, Winston-Salem. Join Sophie on a journey following three exotic strangers who are in search of the Christ Child. 336.721.7350

December 24
Christmas Eve Candlelight Lovefeast, 11:30am, 2:30pm, 5pm and 7:45pm. Home Moravian Church, 529 South Church Street, Winston-Salem. Share in this 18th century Moravian Christmas tradition featuring handmade, lighted beeswax candles and Christmas hymns in the heart of Old Salem. 336.722.6171, Free, www.homemoravian.org.

December 26-27
Tannenberg Organ Concert, 12-1pm. James A. Gray, Jr. Auditorium, Old Salem Visitor Center, 900 Old Salem Road, Winston-Salem. Located at the Old Salem Visitor Center. 336.721.7350, Free, Old Salem Museums and Gardens | Home.

December 27-28
Peter and the Wolf, 12pm & 2pm. Old Salem Museums & Gardens, 900 Old Salem Road, Winston-Salem. Performed by the Carolina Chamber Symphony Players. 336.721.7350, $, Old Salem Museums and Gardens | Home.

For more on Old Salem:
Old Salem Museums and Gardens | Home

Old 10-23-2007, 08:25 AM

241 posts, read 756,772 times
Wow, we will have to check this out. Thanks for the recommendation. I think my wife will love this place!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Take a ride one evening thru "Christmas Town USA" for the wonderful lights and decorations - McAdenville (near Belmont).

Old 10-23-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomnNC View Post
Wow, we will have to check this out. Thanks for the recommendation. I think my wife will love this place!
Oh, you'll love it! Here's a tip...enter the town from the "backside" on Wilkinson Blvd/74 to avoid the long lines waiting to drive in at the frontside (interstate 85). You'll see the same thing but be going against the traffic Also, if you are so inclined, find a place to park and WALK the town - that is a really cool way to take it all in slowly and makes for a very pleasant time.

Old 10-23-2007, 08:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,615,779 times
there will be ton of christmas things to do . McAdenville NC is consider Christmas Town USA it worth the trip Bernstein Bears are usually in Founders Hall, There alot of concerts, broadway productions, concerts in South Park, Nutcracker ballet performances. Christmas Parades in Charlotte and small towns, One voice chorus usually has a production

Southern Christmas Show - Southern Christmas Show
https://www.city-data.com/forum/1164847-post9.html
North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center - A Tuna Christmas
North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center - THE MAGIC OF CHRISTMAS
North Carolina Dance Theatre
McAdenville Official Web Site
Carolina Voices
Christmas Shop featuring Department 56, Christmas villages, collectibles, Ornaments, wreaths, garlands and decorations. (http://www.peppermintforest.com/seop/default.asp?s_id=1 - broken link)

psst can you let me get down my pumpkins before you put up your christmas decor

Old 10-23-2007, 10:36 AM

182 posts, read 825,865 times
Default Christmas in Charlotte

Thanks for all the great posts!
My family and I will be spending our very first Christmas in Charlotte and I look forward to starting some new traditions as we start our new life in this beautiful city!

Old 10-23-2007, 03:15 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,453,273 times
McAdennville and if you go to the mountains Biltmore Estate is beautiful that time of year.

Old 10-23-2007, 03:24 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,681,666 times
I'd like to suggest going to the mountains rather than the beach. The Blue Ridge Parkway, Smokies, and Black Mountains offer some of the best views in the country. Just think about it: rent a log cabin where you can be close to great hiking trails, waterfalls, wildlife (even bears! ), spectacular views, build a bonfire, and just enjoy nature. It's not gonna be any warmer at the beach, so why not spend in the beautiful mountains? Sounds like a great family vacation to me. I think your 8 year old and dad would have a wonderful time in the woods.

And the mountain ranges are about half the distance than the beach.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:58 PM

928 posts, read 3,856,602 times
Heck come to the beach. I'm not sure where your traveling from but Myrtle BEach is super fun and there's lots to do. The NC Side of the beaches are kinda desserted this time of year. You could also kick back and go to the pool. Beaching is fun except when it's 100 outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte