Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Anybody that rude isn't going to appreciate somebody's nose in their business. I don't hope to rehabilitate the jack butts that blow their horn when they want to let someone know their ride is there. I can't imagine it being better at that scale.
Oh, I totally agree with you.

Just wondering why one would decide NOT to do the reporting but feel there is some value in talking with other neighbors about the situation.

I mean - if no one is going to do anything . . . what is the point of the discussion?

The only reason has to be in hopes that someone else will make the phone call, lol.

It rather seems like the bully on the playground to me. The neighbors with the sideline front lawn bidness are daring anyone to say a word . . . and just as they doubtless counted on . . . everyone is too skeert of rocking the boat and getting involved in a situation that would incur bully neighbor's wrath to do a thing.

Neighbors vs. Bully = Bully Wins
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:39 PM

8,827 posts, read 7,324,790 times
stay out of it, they may be trying to get out of a tough financial situation..at least they're trying ..and not doing any criminal activities as in selling dope or robbing stores...you may need to get your car fixed someday...

Old 02-22-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieZ View Post
stay out of it, they may be trying to get out of a tough financial situation..at least they're trying ..and not doing any criminal activities as in selling dope or robbing stores...you may need to get your car fixed someday...
Well, maybe that is how they do things in Belgium, but here in North Carolina, there are things to be considered, including that the neighbors' property values are going to be diminished with the Big Rig stationed on the lawn. OP said there is a house for sale nearby . . . and this neighbor is creating a nuisance and possibly an impediment for someone else to sell his/her property.

There are ordinances for a reason. One of those reasons is to protect the public safety. All sorts of hazards, including oil being poured (deliberately or not!) into a sewer, could result from having such a business illegally operating in a neighborhood. Noxious fumes . . . metal debris . . .

Tough financial times do not give anyone the right to put others at risk while they are playing catch up with their bank account.

It sounds as tho the rig/trailer is mobile . . . so the thing for the owners to do is drive it somewhere outside the neighborhood and pay rent to park it. If they are rehabbing vehicles, someone is paying them for the work, so there is no reason they can't pay to park it in an appropriate area.

For all we know, they are tearing down stolen vehicles. Heck, the trailer itself may be stolen. So your contention that nothing illegal is going on is speculative, indeed.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:51 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, maybe that is how they do things in Belgium, but here in North Carolina, there are things to be considered, including that the neighbors' property values are going to be disminished with the Big Rig stationed on the lawn. OP said there is a house for sale nearby . . . and this neighbor is creating a nuisance and possibly an impediment for someone else to sell his/her property.

There are ordinances for a reason. One of those reasons is to protect the public safety. All sorts of hazards, including oil being poured (deliberately or not!) into a sewer, could result from having such a business illegally operating in a neighborhood. Noxious fumes . . . metal debris . . .

Tough financial times do not give anyone the right to put others at risk while they are playing catch up with their bank account.
Ani, I think that you're 100% right, but with the house next door for sale, there is a non-neighbor involved. If the agent gets blow-back about the front yard repair shop, you'd better believe that it will be reported.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ani, I think that you're 100% right, but with the house next door for sale, there is a non-neighbor involved. If the agent gets blow-back about the front yard repair shop, you'd better believe that it will be reported.
Good point.

Send photos and info about the operation times of the "business" to the agent handling the house sale . . . one can do this anonymously. And let the agent figure out who to contact about the problem.

Just b/c the house is for sale it doesn't mean it is getting any showings, especially if folks drive by and see that mess at the neighbor's house. So waiting on someone to say something to the agent could mean waiting forever. Other agents will most likely assume such goings-on are de rigeur for this neighborhood so not like they will feel it is important to mention the front lawn business to anyone (including the seller's agent). When a house is a no go, agents just move on to the next house . . .

But giving the info to the selling agent directly - that is a good suggestion.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:07 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Good point.

Send photos and info about the operation times of the "business" to the agent handling the house sale . . . one can do this anonymously. And let the agent figure out who to contact about the problem.

Just b/c the house is for sale it doesn't mean it is getting any showings, especially if folks drive by and see that mess at the neighbor's house. So waiting on someone to say something to the agent could mean waiting forever. Other agents will most likely assume such goings-on are de rigeur for this neighborhood so not like they will feel it is important to mention the front lawn business to anyone (including the seller's agent). When a house is a no go, agents just move on to the next house . . .

But giving the info to the selling agent directly - that is a good suggestion.
My problem 2 years ago was the town drunk letting 2 dogs run wild. Another neighbor reported it. This winter another neighbor renting a house started the same crap. The house next to the dogs is for sale. A car pulled into the driveway to look at the house & was greeted by barking dogs at the car door. The next day the animal control truck showed up.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:09 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Yeah that may be a good idea. I had thought the person living in the house for sale (or the agent) might do something about it as they have the most incentive (for all I know maybe they have).

Ani, thanks for finding that info about the ordinances too. I was surprised that even something like a beauty salon was prohibited! Heck, I'm pretty sure simply parking on your front lawn is a code violation. But I am confused by the Charmeck website sometimes as far as what applies to all of Meck or what is only for the city of Charlotte.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:31 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Well, maybe that is how they do things in Belgium, but here in North Carolina, there are things to be considered, including that the neighbors' property values are going to be diminished with the Big Rig stationed on the lawn. OP said there is a house for sale nearby . . . and this neighbor is creating a nuisance and possibly an impediment for someone else to sell his/her property.

It sounds as tho the rig/trailer is mobile . . . so the thing for the owners to do is drive it somewhere outside the neighborhood and pay rent to park it. If they are rehabbing vehicles, someone is paying them for the work, so there is no reason they can't pay to park it in an appropriate area.

For all we know, they are tearing down stolen vehicles. Heck, the trailer itself may be stolen. So your contention that nothing illegal is going on is speculative, indeed.
Sure she is familiar with the area including the political nuances of county living. Otherwise it would be interloping.

You seem to be of the leaning that there are reasons for people to obey the law.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Hi fans, I see some fan called my name so I will add my 2 cents. Yes the laws are made for a reason and you dont have to debate the reasons with any buttwipe neighbor...That is the reason we have cops..

Last edited by crestliner; 02-22-2013 at 03:01 PM..

Old 02-22-2013, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Yeah that may be a good idea. I had thought the person living in the house for sale (or the agent) might do something about it as they have the most incentive (for all I know maybe they have).

Ani, thanks for finding that info about the ordinances too. I was surprised that even something like a beauty salon was prohibited! Heck, I'm pretty sure simply parking on your front lawn is a code violation. But I am confused by the Charmeck website sometimes as far as what applies to all of Meck or what is only for the city of Charlotte.
I stay confused, as well, and found that info on a brochure that is in PDF form online (and I can't figure out how to cite it as a link) . . . it states it applies to all of Mecklenburg County.

I was not shocked at what was listed b/c I had seen that list before elsewhere. If I can find a link directly to a county entity, I will sure post it for you. It is very surprising what can't be run out of one's home and frankly, it seems a bit restrictive to me. But in neighborhoods, one does have to consider the density and how problematic even something as simple as delivery trucks might be for others living on that street.

The other angle to your situation might be noise levels . . . if engines are revved up or loud pneumatic tools being used. Don't know if you are enduring that but thought I would toss it out there . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte