Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,965,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileen824 View Post
I didn't want to post on this thread either, but after reading, can't stop myself! I am currently in NY burbs, and have been looking to CLT for more than 2 yrs now. Because of this, I have been reading posts from many of you for a LONG time now. I am suprised at some of you whose posts/opinions I have grown to respect have been so "snarky" towards the OP. I can clearly see that he has not been rude and said negative/positive about BOTH, not just CLT. OK, he is a LITTLE delusional,( I mean Hartford is not exactly convenient, and has a rather BORING reputation. And of course a gay man would think of Miami as "world class", but OP is still being positive - and not hating on CLT - respect that!
I live near the CT border, and have been of the boards to look at something before I replied on a local post, and who caught my eye? JPO3 - remember him? At ANY/ALL opportunity he was posting TRASHING CLT and the weather - he finally moved back to CT and is STILL trashing CLT weather on those boards! SHEESH - now that guy you should be glad left, this OP just sounds confused, not intentionally inflamatory.....
Anyhoo to the OP - I agree with many of your points and see what you are trying to say, but I don't think either of the options you are questioning are right for you. You got a taste of what "can be" outside of Hartford, and how easily you can meet people in newer, growing, outside of New England cities - go with it and keep looking for your best fit. You have a good resume/education - there are other good COL cities to explore - you are free now to choose - visit a few more before you settle - that way you can be more sure as to where you want to spend the next 10 years. It is worth spending a little $$ for that chance....your 80% of family will still be there a few months from now,no?
I can't do anymore exploring. I have already spent thousands of dollars and much time traveling the country over the past few months. Now it's at the point where I need a job ASAP. Besides, I like Charlotte better than ANYWHERE else in the country (except maybe the Northeast). So, if I don't stay here, I will return back to Hartford, since I have no choice.

The job market here in CLT is awful, even for someone like me. I've been aggressively networking and applying to jobs all month long and haven't even landed one interview. All of this, while paying rent with no income. I mean....I'm speechless at this point and simply out of options. I'm going to have to leave. I need a job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 09:46 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,662,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I can't do anymore exploring. I have already spent thousands of dollars and much time traveling the country over the past few months. Now it's at the point where I need a job ASAP. Besides, I like Charlotte better than ANYWHERE else in the country (except maybe the Northeast). So, if I don't stay here, I will return back to Hartford, since I have no choice.

The job market here in CLT is awful, even for someone like me. I've been aggressively networking and applying to jobs all month long and haven't even landed one interview. All of this, while paying rent with no income. I mean....I'm speechless at this point and simply out of options. I'm going to have to leave. I need a job.
well... you spent money traveling over the country. I hope you had fun but you can't blame Charlotte for not saving you from yourself after blowing money all over the country.

It's nice that you like Charlotte but you treated it like last call at the bar... you didn't research or find a suitable place IN Charlotte for your stay. You chose the cheapest deal... you get what you pay for and it sounds like you spent most of your money traveling.

Give Charlotte 100% of your time and energy and maybe things turn out differently in a year or 2 if you decide to try again. You didn't actually try to live here.. it sounds like this was just the last stop on a long trip and now you are headed back home.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:51 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,201,429 times
42 posts?

Really? Who gives a ****? Stay, go, who cares.

Coming next week: "My ass is still dirty after two wipes, should I wipe it a THIRD time?"

Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
42 posts?

Really? Who gives a ****? Stay, go, who cares.

Coming next week: "My ass is still dirty after two wipes, should I wipe it a THIRD time?"
save the planet...walk it out

How hard is this guy networking if he is on CD all day?

Old 02-25-2013, 09:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,534,878 times
NEP: I have been soundly jumped and pummeled on this forum for telling folks NOT TO COME WITHOUT A JOB.

I am going to mark this thread as one to refer to when people argue with me that their resumes are so outstanding, their experience so stellar, that they won't go through what thousands of others have here with finding a job.

Having said that, I also advise folks who are determined to come here without a job to have at least - AT LEAST - six months of savings that they can live off while looking for a job. And as others have mentioned, you must be willing to take even a low paying job while waiting for the "right" job to come along, as you may find six months is not long enough.

However, you haven't even given it six months!

For every $8-10K or so you hope to make in salary, expect one month of job search. So if you hope to make $80K, expect it could take as long as 8-10 months to land that job here in this area.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
NEP: I have been soundly jumped and pummeled on this forum for telling folks NOT TO COME WITHOUT A JOB.

I am going to mark this thread as one to refer to when people argue with me that their resumes are so outstanding, their experience so stellar, that they won't go through what thousands of others have here with finding a job.

Having said that, I also advise folks who are determined to come here without a job to have at least - AT LEAST - six months of savings that they can live off while looking for a job. And as others have mentioned, you must be willing to take even a low paying job while waiting for the "right" job to come along, as you may find six months is not long enough.

However, you haven't even given it six months!

For every $8k or so you hope to make in salary, expect one month of job search. So if you hope to make $80K, expect it could take as long as 8 months to land that job here in this area.
I'm on of the jumpers but I've always stated part time work or any work to make ends meet until something better comes along.

If a person is doing week to week or month to month it's easy to give up. If one signs a 6 month lease they will be more inclined to dig in and make it work.

However, I really think Nep just took a vacation and stopped through on his way back to CT. He said he had 13K in savings but didn't want to touch it... which mean he doesn't really want to be here and is making it easy to move back in with his parents.

Most people don't have that option though so they are more inclined to find odd jobs.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I'm on of the jumpers but I've always stated part time work or any work to make ends meet until something better comes along.

If a person is doing week to week or month to month it's easy to give up. If one signs a 6 month lease they will be more inclined to dig in and make it work.

However, I really think Nep just took a vacation and stopped through on his way back to CT. He said he had 13K in savings but didn't want to touch it... which mean he doesn't really want to be here and is making it easy to move back in with his parents.

Most people don't have that option though so they are more inclined to find odd jobs.
Well, I have a certain amount of savings left over in the bank (after already using several thousand to travel and live here for the month while job hunting) but I don't want to touch it because I want to have enough cash to make a downpayment on a home in the near future. It's a balancing act.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:51 AM

3,869 posts, read 4,283,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I have a certain amount of savings left over in the bank (after already using several thousand to travel and live here for the month while job hunting) but I don't want to touch it because I want to have enough cash to make a downpayment on a home in the near future. It's a balancing act.
Unless you started job searching several months ago, 1 month isn't enough time....go back to the crib, regroup otherwise find something to keep you afloat without having to dig into savings....how hard can it be? Single person with no kids....bartend, call center, etc.....sooner or later you gotta take the silver spoon out and hustle..

Old 02-25-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Unless you started job searching several months ago, 1 month isn't enough time....go back to the crib, regroup otherwise find something to keep you afloat without having to dig into savings....how hard can it be? Single person with no kids....bartend, call center, etc.....sooner or later you gotta take the silver spoon out and hustle..
I might do that. Now that push is coming to shove, I might not want to leave. I could stay for two more months if I sell a few thousand in stocks. That's a big risk of course, given the job market here.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

Most people who want to move to Charlotte don't spend the bulk of their cash running around the country before "moving" here to try and get a job.

He is lucky to have shelter in his parents house... some parents wouldn't be so kind. When we moved from Brooklyn to Southport we had 2 to 3 months before we got the "what are your plans"

...and this was at a vacation home that was empty. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte