Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 09:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,572,346 times

Advertisements

A plan to build a 93-home subdivision in a wooded part of south Charlotte has neighbors worried about possible damage to a nearby creek and wildlife. The developer still must get approval from city officials.
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...-55-acres.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 09:33 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,601,372 times
Thank god, Pineville Matthews road doesn't have enough traffic.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,567,001 times
This is a real issue - environmental impact, not to mention traffic concerns.

I also question the need to build more houses in that price range.

However, I would think having single family homes there would be preferential to multifamily houses (for the same reasons as that would generate even more traffic, since it would be even denser population).

Old 02-28-2013, 10:29 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,362,320 times
Seems like most of the people quoted in the article are just NIMBY's trying to use the excuse of the environment. So the builders of their homes were allowed to take down trees to build houses, but another one can't?

Yes I would hope they ensure that there is no ill effect on the creek and such, but the article did say the land was zoned residential.

Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,567,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Seems like most of the people quoted in the article are just NIMBY's trying to use the excuse of the environment. So the builders of their homes were allowed to take down trees to build houses, but another one can't?

Yes I would hope they ensure that there is no ill effect on the creek and such, but the article did say the land was zoned residential.
Well, I do understand their concerns. We have deer who have already been run out of so much of their habitat and they are hungry and munching on everyone in my neighborhood's foundation plants - they even eat our hanging baskets, herbs . . . I can no longer even attempt to grow a garden - I would have to put in a high fence which would divide my property in an unesthetic way.

Plus, the deer are now running out into streets regularly, trying to move from one "grazing area" to another. For anyone who doesn't deal with this -- it truly is a potential hazard. The deer really are losing their habitat.

The other thing is our creeks. Mine used to NEVER overflow until about 5 years ago and now it reaching the top of the creek bank regularly. So there is definitely more run off. Our sewers are also being overwhelmed at times.

The traffic is also a concern at that particular area.

So there are real concerns and not some kind of made up NIMBY silliness, GOPHILS. Those are not going to be substandard houses! They will be very nice homes, but the fact that they are in an upperscale price range also seems like a losing proposition as we have homes for sale all over this region -- there is no reason to be building more big homes in South Charlotte.

Just my thoughts based on what I have experienced and what I am seeing in this area.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:09 AM

2,781 posts, read 5,177,415 times
I can argue on both sides of the argument...

Builder knows this is a prime area for Charlotte and the units will go fast in the increasingly hotter market (for value location properties and Providence HS is IMO best HS among all Charlotte schools). Of course more would love to live in that great area, so I cannot blame potential new development residents for wanting to enjoy the close by shopping in best schools area for Charlotte.

On other side of argument, what makes Charlotte such a desirable city to move to, it is the fact that it is a city in the park. Destroying the green areas and eliminating the wild life is definitely wrong and could create unsafe areas for flooding, land slides, etc. If I would be a resident in that area I would too be against trading the green space for more traffic and pollution.

Last edited by 28173; 02-28-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 AM

2,781 posts, read 5,177,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
This is a real issue - environmental impact, not to mention traffic concerns.

I also question the need to build more houses in that price range.

However, I would think having single family homes there would be preferential to multifamily houses (for the same reasons as that would generate even more traffic, since it would be even denser population).
I don't think builder will have any problem selling quality homes for that price in that top schools area. Real estate market is picking up recently and this means transplants can finally sell their $800k house and get the bargain $600k brand new house in established neighborhood, in no time.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM

7,078 posts, read 12,364,987 times
When looking at the road network, schools, and retail of this area; who didn't expect further residential development?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,362,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Well, I do understand their concerns. We have deer who have already been run out of so much of their habitat and they are hungry and munching on everyone in my neighborhood's foundation plants - they even eat our hanging baskets, herbs . . . I can no longer even attempt to grow a garden - I would have to put in a high fence which would divide my property in an unesthetic way.

Plus, the deer are now running out into streets regularly, trying to move from one "grazing area" to another. For anyone who doesn't deal with this -- it truly is a potential hazard. The deer really are losing their habitat.

The other thing is our creeks. Mine used to NEVER overflow until about 5 years ago and now it reaching the top of the creek bank regularly. So there is definitely more run off. Our sewers are also being overwhelmed at times.

The traffic is also a concern at that particular area.

So there are real concerns and not some kind of made up NIMBY silliness, GOPHILS. Those are not going to be substandard houses! They will be very nice homes, but the fact that they are in an upperscale price range also seems like a losing proposition as we have homes for sale all over this region -- there is no reason to be building more big homes in South Charlotte.

Just my thoughts based on what I have experienced and what I am seeing in this area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
When looking at the road network, schools, and retail of this area; who didn't expect further residential development?
What urban said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I can argue on both sides of the argument...

On other side of argument, what makes Charlotte such a desirable city to move to, it is the fact that it is a city in the park. Destroying the green areas and eliminating the wild life is definitely wrong and could create unsafe areas for flooding, land slides, etc. If I would be a resident in that area I would too be against trading the green space for more traffic and pollution.
But that is what happened when the homes were built for the people that are now complaining about more homes potentially being built. They're more concerned that their view of those trees will be obstructed by houses than actually concerned about said trees.

Edit: And I did say I would hope they would do a study showing the effects on the creek. But again, the area was already zoned residential. And if the homes are going to be $400-$600K it doesn't sound like they'll be packed in or anything.

Last edited by GoPhils; 02-28-2013 at 11:48 AM..

Old 02-28-2013, 08:16 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,189,508 times
93 houses on 55 acres is fairly well sardined in, considering that a good chunk of those 55 acres will go to roads, amenities, and common area.

For half a million dollars, I'd hope to not be able to touch my neighbor's house from my bedroom window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte