Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,179,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Last weekend it was 81 which is 15 above. This is why they call it average.

No chance of snow in any case. The sun has been out since lunch.
Charlotte is 5 degrees below average for this March..... that is significantly below. I said if this had been JANUARY you would have had a snowstorm. Thanks for taking the time to read my post before responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 05:31 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,978,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Charlotte is 5 degrees below average for this March..... that is significantly below. I said if this had been JANUARY you would have had a snowstorm. Thanks for taking the time to read my post before responding.
Well if it was in January, I do believe it would be quite a sight to see snow when the sun is shining.

Old 03-23-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Well if it was in January, I do believe it would be quite a sight to see snow when the sun is shining.
Tonight Rain likely, mainly after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 43. . New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

Sunday Rain, mainly before 5pm.

High near 44. Northeast wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between three quarters and one inch possible.

My reference to the weekend was tonight and tomorrow.. a 44 high if it pans out would be the equivalent of about 27 in mid January..

Old 03-24-2013, 05:35 AM

Quote:
My reference to the weekend was tonight and tomorrow.. a 44 high if it pans out would be the equivalent of about 27 in mid January..
I was responding to this:

... you guys are in right now were January you would have had a hell of a snowstorm today and tomorrow.

Yesterday was sun and the moon was out last night. It did get cloudy a couple of hours ago but there has been little rain. My thermometer says its 45. Not unusual for March.

This sounds like pseudo science to me. Weather patterns are affected by temperature. I'm not seeing conditions that would lead to a "hell of a snowstorm". IMO, if temperature is dropped to 27 then you would not see this weather pattern here in January. This is why snowstorms are extremely rare in Charlotte. It's been years since we have had one where the accumulation lasted more than a few hours.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:37 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,050,683 times
Quote:
Last weekend it was 81 which is 15 above. This is why they call it average.

No chance of snow in any case. The sun has been out since lunch.
Well, I think that you are arguing just for the sake of arguing.

The sun did not come out in University City until late afternoon....around 4 PM. I know because I was in/out the back door spring cleaning...

Regardless, no snow here, but, LOT in the midwest & plains. Crappy storm. I remember snow on Easter (in Chicago) but it was a very long time ago.

Hopefully, Easter will warm up and be prettier...

Old 03-24-2013, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Well, I think that you are arguing just for the sake of arguing.

The sun did not come out in University City until late afternoon....around 4 PM. I know because I was in/out the back door spring cleaning...

Regardless, no snow here, but, LOT in the midwest & plains. Crappy storm. I remember snow on Easter (in Chicago) but it was a very long time ago.

Hopefully, Easter will warm up and be prettier...
Thanks for pointing that out Cubs. Well, after today things will dry out. By Easter temps should be nearer to normal at least.

Frewroad, you are correct that weather patterns cannot be directly correlated month to month.Today's excessive cold air is from wedging more than anything so I do say you have some validity to your statement. But from a temp perspective its abnormally cold and its not usual at all. It should be well in the 60's. High temps in the 50 range is far from normal in March. Just good it occurred now and not in January ...that's all I meant..

Old 03-24-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Frewroad, you are correct that weather patterns cannot be directly correlated month to month.Today's excessive cold air is from wedging more than anything so I do say you have some validity to your statement. But from a temp perspective its abnormally cold and its not usual at all. It should be well in the 60's. High temps in the 50 range is far from normal in March. Just good it occurred now and not in January ...that's all I meant..
Ahh so you think I have more substance in my posts than just arguments.

I am only offering counterpoint as one who has lived in this area for many decades and have been one to pay attention to the weather as well. I looked at a plot of the March weather vs average high/low and the plot falls within the bounds of those two lines. What we are experiencing this week is really typical for March and I've found that often, in this area, March weather can be cooler than January on many days.

We don't get snow in January because the combination of cold and a wet pattern rarely occurs here.

The Southern Piedmont's unique East Coast location between the highest mountains in eastern North America and Long Bay where the Gulf Stream is just 2-3 miles off shore, means mild wet winters. We are shielded from most of the cold that streams in from the Mid West and the Gulf Stream pulls up warm weather from the South. Points not far North or West of here don't have these benefits.

Old 03-24-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Ahh so you think I have more substance in my posts than just arguments.

I am only offering counterpoint as one who has lived in this area for many decades and have been one to pay attention to the weather as well. I looked at a plot of the March weather vs average high/low and the plot falls within the bounds of those two lines. What we are experiencing this week is really typical for March and I've found that often, in this area, March weather can be cooler than January on many days.

We don't get snow in January because the combination of cold and a wet pattern rarely occurs here.

The Southern Piedmont's unique East Coast location between the highest mountains in eastern North America and Long Bay where the Gulf Stream is just 2-3 miles off shore, means mild wet winters. We are shielded from most of the cold that streams in from the Mid West and the Gulf Stream pulls up warm weather from the South. Points not far North or West of here don't have these benefits.
Fair points you make. Average is only a balance between the extremes although a 44 (as it will be today down there for a high) is bordering on a record low high for the day which does make it rather unique.

Old 02-24-2014, 02:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,558,888 times
Charlotte's snowiest March was in 1960, with 19.3".
Second place was March of 1927, with 13.3".

Old 02-26-2014, 08:02 PM

747 posts, read 2,107,050 times
Any predictions for 2014 anyone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte