Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:00 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,854,755 times

Advertisements

I've always thought of Charlotte (particularly uptown) as being a great affordable weekend destination for those within 4 hour or so drive...Children's Museum and Discovery Place uptown, Coliseum, Stadium, lots of places to go, eat, stay...can take the light rail as well.

Besides Wilmington (and Charlotte's probably better for families), what other nearby southern cities provide a good experience in the downtown/uptown area that can keep them busy for a few days without jumping in their car?

Spring Break is late March early April this year, not a bad time of year to visit Charlotte with weather likely around 70 or so.

Why all the haters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 10:36 AM

328 posts, read 616,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
I've always thought of Charlotte (particularly uptown) as being a great affordable weekend destination for those within 4 hour or so drive...Children's Museum and Discovery Place uptown, Coliseum, Stadium, lots of places to go, eat, stay...can take the light rail as well.

Besides Wilmington (and Charlotte's probably better for families), what other nearby southern cities provide a good experience in the downtown/uptown area that can keep them busy for a few days without jumping in their car?

Spring Break is late March early April this year, not a bad time of year to visit Charlotte with weather likely around 70 or so.

Why all the haters?

Well said! Regional travelers especially should give it a chance.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,652,923 times
I have friends who live outside Hickory - they have come to Charlotte on their kids' spring break, for several days. Get a hotel downtown, ride the light rail, go to the Whitewater Center (the center's an entire day's fun), go to Latta Park & the Raptor Center (horseback riding & canoeing), shop at SouthPark & Concord Mills, walk around downtown & appreciate the big buildings & tour the stadium, hit up Discovery Place. This year, Carowinds will be open during Spring Break. That is a small percentage of what Charlotte offers. Not every city & town has what we have. I don't know if people are so jaded they can't see what's right under their noses or if they've never lived in a smaller town so can't see the draw of what's here. Heck, shopping at Trader Joe's is a big draw for some folks, and yes, that's a chain and not Charlotte-specific, but I also have friends who plan a whole day's visit to stock up on TJ's goodness.

Last edited by CharlotteGal; 03-07-2013 at 11:11 AM..

Old 03-07-2013, 11:06 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Speed Park has been closed; this is where the aquarium is going. The water park at Carowinds will not be open til beginning of summer.
Isnt Ray's more of a local pool rather than a tourist attraction.
Cant comment on McDowell Nature Center and Preserve as I find Lake Wylie a driving distance.
Stowe Botanical Garden, cool for locals on Spring Break, Orchids on display right now an Peter Cotton tail for Easter.
I dont be convey as Debbie Downer but I cant see people using Charlotte as Spring break unless visiting family or friends who live in area or nearby towns.
Sorry... families are coming and enjoying themselves in Charlotte.

I know it's hard for the locals and Charlotte detractors to swallow but people from smaller cities enjoy Charlotte for a variety of reasons.

Anyone new to Charlotte and experiencing it for the first time with NEW EYES will do so in a different manor from a locals.

Some of you are acting like this is a trip a family would take EVERY spring, EVERY year. lol...

Old 03-07-2013, 11:19 AM

Looking at the list we are behind cities like Omaha, NE, Birmingham, Indianapolis and Portland.

Hopefully this puts a few jaded souls at rest.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:11 PM

162 posts, read 240,103 times
[quote=urbancharlotte;28562469]Quote of the year here. BTW, most normal adults don't compare these things either. If they did, Charlotte would not continue to grow like a weed.

QUOTE]

Charlotte's growth has nothing to do with the articles false claim that it is a "Spring Break destination"! What brings new people to Charlotte is the weather, the family friendly environment which includes tons of sports activities for kids and good schools, relatively low cost of housing and real estate taxes, it's central East Coast location (Midway between NYC and Florida)and did I mention the WEATHER. I don't think people travelling from "Hickory" designates Charlotte as a Spring Break HOT SPOT!

Old 03-07-2013, 11:28 PM

221 posts, read 357,884 times
Charlotte: Yes
Indianapolis: NO (cold in March)
Tucson : NO (boring maybe Phoenix)
Portland: NO ( rainy in March)
Santa Cruz (go only in the summer )

that list sucks ! The only place I would go with the family on that list is Charlotte.
But for spring break ? No
I don't get that list it doesn't make sense , "Spring Break" is Florida and college kids not Charlotte.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:15 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,549,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Thinking that there are a LOT of other places with more to do...
Then why don't you go to those other places? You are such a curmudgeon when it comes to all things Charlotte. GTHO already. Geez.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:20 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,342,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noname13 View Post
I don't think people travelling from "Hickory" designates Charlotte as a Spring Break HOT SPOT!
Like I said before, I suspect that Charlotte's Spring Break numbers has to do with families traveling from within a 3-hour radius. Within 3 hours of Charlotte are places such as western VA, southern WV, extreme eastern Tenn, Augusta GA, etc. If you don't believe me, just go to Carowinds or the Whitewater center during the first 2-3 weeks of spring and you would understand where I'm coming from.

Also, many of these "visitors" could be here visiting family and friends who have recently relocated to the area or are in the process of relocating. When it comes to visitor numbers, several factors must be considered. Cost and location are probably the two biggest factors that help Charlotte. For starters, Charlotte is cheap. Also, Charlotte is on the way to places like Myrtle and Charleston for families traveling to the Carolinas from the Midwest. Quite a few times I've met folks at Carowinds who decided to do a "split-vacation" between Charlotte and a coastal destination.

This spring, I suspect there will be several people (potential newcomers) checking out Charlotte due to the massive Metlife jobs relocation. In past years, other potential newcomers used spring break as their chance to see the area for the first time before making a final decision. Honestly, the OP never suggested that Charlotte was a Fort Lauderdale, so I just can't understand some of the comments on this thread.

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 03-08-2013 at 03:40 AM..

Old 03-08-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagobears View Post
Charlotte: Yes
Indianapolis: NO (cold in March)
Tucson : NO (boring maybe Phoenix)
Portland: NO ( rainy in March)
Santa Cruz (go only in the summer )

that list sucks ! The only place I would go with the family on that list is Charlotte.
But for spring break ? No
I don't get that list it doesn't make sense , "Spring Break" is Florida and college kids not Charlotte.
The list is for FAMILIES...

The only thing that sycjs is your reading comprehension skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte