Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:55 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times

Advertisements

Are property values driven my schools? Logically if this was the case, the worst schools would be in the areas where land is the cheapest and you can buy the most home for the money. This sounds like suburban union county. Obviously there are good schools there, so therefore, land value isn't necessarily driven by the school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:11 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,025,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Are property values driven my schools? Logically if this was the case, the worst schools would be in the areas where land is the cheapest and you can buy the most home for the money. This sounds like suburban union county. Obviously there are good schools there, so therefore, land value isn't necessarily driven by the school system.
Values solely driven by school assignment... no. But for your average parent, it's the largest factor behind location. Your house will be worth more than a comparable in a less desirable school district. Folks who intend to use private schools will put less emphasis on assignments - obviously. Huntersville is a very good example of that as people will tend to buy there more for the lake access and use private schools.

You seem to not realize that suburban union county rides right along Ballantyne and Matthews with easy access to all the city amenities offered there. You add on excellent suburban schools and you have the factors that drive values up. As I stated in a previous post - if you haven't been down into union county in a decade or more (which seems likely based on your posting history), no clue how you can make any educated comments on what suburban union county is or isn't.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:30 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,161,173 times
Quote:
You do have an outdated and deformed vision of the suburban part of UC (part of Marvin/Weddington/Waxhaw).
When you have homes well over million dollars in this area and in many subdivisions you need a minimum of $500k to even get in, I would not say the property value is cheap.

You might be biased and not see it, but there might be a reason why 4 places in UC have been considered in top 20 places to live in NC with #1 Marvin, #2 Weddington, #16 Waxhaw and Wesley Chapel @ #19:

Quote:
This article, the eleventh in a 50-state series, ranks the best places to live in North Carolina based on three criteria: (1) median household income (adjusted for cost of living); (2) educational attainment (% of residents 25 years and over who have earned a bachelor's degree or higher); and (3) property crime rates per 1,000 residents (burglary and automobile thefts). For purposes of these rankings, "places" are incorporated municipalities with populations greater than 2,000.
Best Places to Live in North Carolina (2012) - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com

Old 03-13-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
You do have an outdated and deformed vision of the suburban part of UC (part of Marvin/Weddington/Waxhaw).
The #1 or #2 reason given for moving to Union county is that it is cheaper. I said nothing about absolute values. It's all relative.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
To give you an example, Monroe is in Union County and is largely assigned to Sun Valley schools (not the worst but not good). It's very cheap to live there and you get a heck alot more home with land for the dollar. And especially out to Mineral Springs etc. But Weddington/Wesley Chapel which is the neighboring "city" and mere minutes away, the land/house is almost 5 times more expensive. Why? Because the Weddington schools and Cutherbertson are rated so highly. I have yet to see an immediate area with a 10 rated school in an area and the housing around it is cheaper than an area with a lower rated school.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM

2,773 posts, read 5,161,173 times
Quote:
The #1 or #2 reason given for moving to Union county is that it is cheaper. I said nothing about absolute values. It's all relative.
Nope, #1 reason is schools and #2 is taxes, safety, etc.
To get in MR schools one needs to consider at minimum $300k for house and goes way up from there...so it is not cheaper...

There are no apartments to be rented, if one wants cheap houses/appartments would be better off choosing Charlotte.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
To give you an example, Monroe is in Union County and is largely assigned to Sun Valley schools (not the worst but not good). It's very cheap to live there and you get a heck alot more home with land for the dollar. And especially out to Mineral Springs etc. But Weddington/Wesley Chapel which is the neighboring "city" and mere minutes away, the land/house is almost 5 times more expensive. Why? Because the Weddington schools and Cutherbertson are rated so highly. I have yet to see an immediate area with a 10 rated school in an area and the housing around it is cheaper than an area with a lower rated school.
This report would disagree with that.

North Carolina High School Rank - Overall | US News
North Carolina High School Rank - College Readiness

Note that in overall rankings, what Universities are most interested in, the best schools are not in the best areas. (Though Hopewell, #1 High School in NC, does include part of the affluent Lake Norman area) When ranked by college readiness the prestige schools of NC move to the top of the list, i.e. Myers Park, Providence, Grimsley, Chapel Hill High, etc, but not all of these are in high end areas. These are all urban schools and have access to vast resources of large populated counties.

In terms of College Readiness, Marvin was the best in Union county, but it was far behind the top schools in CMS. Marvin's scores were more in line with those of Ardrey Kell, North Meck, South Meck, Hopewell, Weddington. So property values would not seem to be related to school scores.

The best schools in the area, by far, for College Readiness are Butler, Myers Park, and Providence.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
This report would disagree with that.

North Carolina High School Rank - Overall | US News
North Carolina High School Rank - College Readiness

Note that in overall rankings, what Universities are most interested in, the best schools are not in the best areas. (Though Hopewell, #1 High School in NC, does include part of the affluent Lake Norman area) When ranked by college readiness the prestige schools of NC move to the top of the list, i.e. Myers Park, Providence, Grimsley, Chapel Hill High, etc, but not all of these are in high end areas. These are all urban schools and have access to vast resources of large populated counties.

In terms of College Readiness, Marvin was the best in Union county, but it was far behind the top schools in CMS. Marvin's scores were more in line with those of Ardrey Kell, North Meck, South Meck, Hopewell, Weddington. So property values would not seem to be related to school scores.

The best schools in the area, by far, for College Readiness are Butler, Myers Park, and Providence.
Myers Park and Providence are more expensive to live in if you look at values as compared to Monroe with Sun Valley schools. I didn't say that the most expensive areas have the best schools. I merely said that the areas around a highly rated school are usually more expensive than an area with a poorly ranked school.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:27 AM

(I know nothing of Butler nor do I know where it is which is why I didn't mention them. Off to look up to see where Butler is)

Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Myers Park and Providence
Look at their school choice zones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte