Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2007, 06:27 AM

255 posts, read 885,345 times

Advertisements

Berewick is 28278.

Yeah the only time you should hear planes in this area is when airport traffic is backed up and the planes are having to redirect (when this happens the planes are redirected and queued for landing, their flightpaths for this, sometimes fly over the Berewick area). But normal landing and taking off you cannot hear at all.

I have lived there since July and this has happened only once, and it was like for 15-20 minutes worth of planes and then it stopped. About 10 planes were redirected, etc.

Hope this helps.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2008, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 6,148 times
Default noise from overhead air traffic in Steele Creek

This response is a long time after you asked about noise in the area from the airport. Yes, it is very loud, and, if the wind is blowing the wrong way, the air traffic is about every 90 seconds right over my house from early in the morning until late at night. I wish I had known about this before I purchased, as I like to open my windows for fresh air when it's nice out. My house is 8 to 10 miles from the airport, but that apparently is not far enough. I have been used to quiet suburbs and living at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac, so I may be more sensitive than most. I am concerned about the pollution that is likely falling right into my property. A new runway going to the west is scheduled to be completed by about 2010, and the airport rep I spoke with said that should help. I did file a complaint. He also said within a few years, the government will require planes to go to level 4 noise control, so that may help as well.
The planes take off and fly loud and low right over my yard. It's a bummer, and I will check out any future neighborhoods I consider living in for this problem.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:49 AM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrowneyedLadyLS View Post
This response is a long time after you asked about noise in the area from the airport. Yes, it is very loud, and, if the wind is blowing the wrong way, the air traffic is about every 90 seconds right over my house from early in the morning until late at night. I wish I had known about this before I purchased, as I like to open my windows for fresh air when it's nice out. My house is 8 to 10 miles from the airport, but that apparently is not far enough. I have been used to quiet suburbs and living at the end of a quiet cul-de-sac, so I may be more sensitive than most. I am concerned about the pollution that is likely falling right into my property. A new runway going to the west is scheduled to be completed by about 2010, and the airport rep I spoke with said that should help. I did file a complaint. He also said within a few years, the government will require planes to go to level 4 noise control, so that may help as well.
The planes take off and fly loud and low right over my yard. It's a bummer, and I will check out any future neighborhoods I consider living in for this problem.
Think you have it bad? When we lived in San Antonio, we lived in the approach path to San Antonio International, AND 100 feet away from the Union PAcific rail line. Funny thing is, we got used to it in about 6 months.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:50 AM

1,894 posts, read 6,463,472 times
I lived in Berewick for a year, and yes, the air traffic noise was noticeable and sometimes outright loud. Particularly at 6am when the first salvo of planes are launched for the day...and if the traffic was directed over Berewick, the jet and prop noise was loud enough to create a small buzz in our windows and make my truck's alarm "chirp" to warn of vibration on the truck. It certainly wasn't bad enough to warrant a description of "unbearable." but it was there.

Here is a map of where aircraft noise can be expected and to what level...and I find it pretty accurate: http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/etp5r3pmgqgfkgmc7wn54gcgydn2ulpnsr6zusz3ze3g6oss5w ezy6pfnmqxwplmnyhbabpwpe5ijjvnx4yvoklusmb/NoiseOverlayDistrictMap.pdf (broken link) What the map doesn't show is the route that prop aircraft take to get out of the way of the jets taking off behind them. The US Air Express prop planes are just about once every 3 or 4 aircraft...and they have a deep droning noise to them. Because they are slower than jets, they bank nearly 90 degrees out of the direction of the runway as soon as they get airborn to allow for jet traffic to continue unimpeeded.

If you're anywhere near the line of the flightpath to or from teh airport, you're going to hear noise. Sure you'll grow accustomed to it, but it's there...to answer your question.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:27 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,450,438 times
I am in an apartment fairly close to the airport and I don't hear any noise from planes (zip code 28217). Steele Creek area is fairly large. Don't be fooled the noise isn't that bad.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:45 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
I've been under the main landing route for Philadelphia International for years, until a recent change. I sort of miss them. I will probably buy in Lincoln Co. or Kings Mountain. Are they likely to be under the flight path (take off or landing)?

Old 07-14-2008, 01:51 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,699,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswoboda View Post
I am from MD and will be relocating to the Charlotte area. I see you can get a lot of home in the Steele Creek area. Someone told me the airport traffic is noisy in that area. Is that so?
Hey there - what part of MD are you coming from? I just moved down from Severn. Our new place is in Ayrsley but I don't really notice the airport traffic - although I'm at an airport several times a month and did live 5 minutes from BWI, so I may be immune to it.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:41 PM

714 posts, read 2,305,892 times
I used to live 2 miles from Dulles airport. I loved it, especially when the winds shifted oddly and the planes would come right over my house. It didn't happen often enough to be annoying, only cool.

I loved hearing the dull sound of the engines starting back up after a storm had passed. Late at night if a thunderstorm was coming through and keeping me up, it served to let me know the worst part had passed.

It was deafeningly quiet after 9/11 when the airports were shut down. The whole house had a pall because there was no humming off in the distance.

And when I was single and bored at night, and couldn't get to sleep, I'd turn on my transceiver (from when I was a student pilot) and listen to the pilots making their approach and ground control calls. At 3AM it makes you feel not so lonely.

So I'm weird, but I'd love to live that close to an airport again.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:50 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,864,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I've been under the main landing route for Philadelphia International for years, until a recent change. I sort of miss them. I will probably buy in Lincoln Co. or Kings Mountain. Are they likely to be under the flight path (take off or landing)?
I think most of the traffic from CLT is north/south, on parallel runways, so Lincoln county and Kings Mountain would both be safe bets.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:47 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
I think most of the traffic from CLT is north/south, on parallel runways, so Lincoln county and Kings Mountain would both be safe bets.
Cool! Thanks Hoagie!

I like to sit on the front porch in the summer & watch the planes flying over my house or one of the sideyards. It means the world is running along fine. I know a train runs through Kings Mountain, so I'm guessng that the same will go for Lincoln County.

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-14-2008 at 04:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte