Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 09:42 PM

32 posts, read 148,035 times

Advertisements

Any insight will be most appreciated. My husband and I are retired after long careers in Chicago, one of the country's truly great cities. Prolonged winters caused us to relocate to warmer climes, but we miss cultural access to symphonies, operas, theatre and museums. The area we're in now, NE FL, has a few cultural outlets, but we want to move to a more vibrant and urbane setting with a moderate climate -- no prolonged winters but neither do we want to be indoors half the year because it's too hot and humid to venture out. Preliminary research on both cities looks promising. We're open to other possibilities as well, although our search is limited to the mid & eastern regions for family reasons and we'd really like a skyline city. Access to quality health care, reasonable taxes, insurance and costs of living, high quality of life in a diverse community are all very important, non-drought prone, minimal natural hazards, relatively safe, etc. Don't like McMansions or large lots, but prefer newer high quality 4+ bdrm, under $900k. Seems like this should be fairly simple, but at our age we have to get it right as this will be our last move.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:35 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times
You could easily find what you are looking for at your price point in Charlotte. We also relocated (from NY) in 1998, the weather and the cost of living being what drove us here.

Charlotte is by no means a large city, like Chicago or NY. But there is a sympony here (Charlotte Symphony Orchestra) as well as an outdoor concert series. There are some museums as well as theatre. Not quite sure about operas, but I could find that out for you. While it is not NY or Chicago, it is a growing city, and it seems there is more to do each year we are here.

The major healthcare systems are Carolinas Healthcare System(Carolinas HealthCare System (http://www.carolinashealthcare.org/splash/ - broken link)) and Presbyterian (Health Information on Gastric Bypass, Women's Health, Heart Disease and more). My father has been using CHS -- he has to be watched for cardiac as he had quadruple bypass in 1989 and has been very happy with the care he has received.

In terms of drought, we are in the middle of a big one right now. I'm not sure if Charlotte is considered drought prone or not, but this year has been a tough one for us. We are currently on water restrictions which limit the water you are permitted to use to water your lawn and shrubs.

It also gets hot here in the summer, but it seems as if everything is air conditioned. I don't mind it at all (definitely prefer that to having to ever shovel snow!) but it is something you should know.

Best of luck to you in your relocation. If you would like any clarification of what I have posted feel free to PM me.

Old 11-02-2007, 12:02 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,002,563 times
Historically, North Carolina is not prone to drought. The current drought conditions are an anomaly. NC normally receives between 37" to 92" of precipitation per year depending on the location. The driest and wettest areas of the state are both in the Mountain Region. The majority of the population lives and works in the Piedmont Region.

Last edited by mm34b; 11-02-2007 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,255,600 times
Columbus would be a very wise choice. The city provides excellent cultural offerings, an affordable cost of living, a wide variety of housing in the city and suburbs, excellent infrastructure, fantastic shopping venues, a very diverse and socially tolerant populace, the joy ( or throes ) of having 4 distinct seasons, an expansive and modern network of expressways that provides easy and quick access throughout the metro ... one can access most anywhere in the metro in 30 minutes or less... ( Quite a feat too ... this city is enormous )
The city has a very progressive / hip vibe that is instantly noticed ... a great feel for an urban center in the state of Ohio.
Ohio State University and several other colleges are here, providing educational and other opportunities.
Columbus has one of the most highly educated populations of any metro in the country ... so you're in good company.
Most of the people here are quite friendly and welcoming ... solid midwest hospitality abounds!
One also has close proximity to the arts and cultural offerings of both Cleveland and Cincy ... a mere 2 hrs. to either city.
The scenic and breathtaking "Hocking Hills" region is within a few hours drive of the city ... an area with rugged terrain, beautiful vistas and a few of the widely acclaimed "Ohio State Parks".

I've lived in Charlotte and have traveled the U.S. extensively ... I love Columbus and believe that you would appreciate it too.

Best of luck with your choice!

Old 01-17-2010, 08:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Thanks the OP was seeking back in 2007 im sure she has her decision by now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: