Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2013, 08:47 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,683,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So why are you dogging her out about her search elsewhere for employment opportunities???
I don't get why she'd think two months is long enough. That is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 09:06 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,272,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fltonc12 View Post
I don't get why she'd think two months is long enough. That is all.
She is giving herself until the end of the year. That is nine months. If finding another job in Charlotte is a possibility for her, it will likely happen by then.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:25 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,286,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
She is giving herself until the end of the year. That is nine months. If finding another job in Charlotte is a possibility for her, it will likely happen by then.
Praying for you guys out there...wow. Moore, OK is tornado alley for sure.

Old 05-20-2013, 05:50 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,644,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigma67 View Post
MY husband recruits for IT here in Charlotte if you ever want to come back he is ALWAYS looking for people!
Did anyone check this out......?

Old 05-20-2013, 06:05 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,272,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Praying for you guys out there...wow. Moore, OK is tornado alley for sure.
Thanks. Yeah, this is the third time in the past decade an F4/F5 has tracked nearly the same path, this being the worst one. People who live in OKC live in denial about how dangerous it is to live here.

I am moving out of OKC in June 2014, hopefully back to Charlotte.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:23 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,736,527 times
I moved away from Charlotte 14 years ago and it has been in my heart since. I absolutely loved living there and never thought our family would move, but I took a great job opportunity in another state. (the economy was very good in Charlotte at the time!)
While I have settled in my current city I still, in the back of my mind, sometimes toy with the thought of moving back. In spite of the naysayers it's a nice city.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:38 AM

140 posts, read 272,713 times
It's very true that two months IS NOT a long time to be unemployed....it just seems like it. I need to stop listening to some "friends" who keep telling me that I won't find a job here. Trying to keep a positive attitude and just feel better now that I have a game plan. Would really like to stay in Charlotte! Unfortunately, I'm taking money out of my retirement fund, but at least I have that money.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:31 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,669,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexih View Post
It's very true that two months IS NOT a long time to be unemployed....it just seems like it. I need to stop listening to some "friends" who keep telling me that I won't find a job here. Trying to keep a positive attitude and just feel better now that I have a game plan. Would really like to stay in Charlotte! Unfortunately, I'm taking money out of my retirement fund, but at least I have that money.
gotta love "friends"

Old 05-30-2013, 04:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,396 times
Default Moving to NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this – it’s great to hear your perspective, which isn’t one we usually see on CD. I have to say that this is a pretty resonant topic for me, as I also left CLT after living there for a couple of years and after a while began to struggle with missing it as well. I moved to CLT as a transplant, but strangely once I left I began to feel homesick for it. I think the fact that I felt that way is a testament to how quickly this city can become a meaningful home to so many people.

While I am content in my current city, I do still experience moments in which I truly miss good old CLT. Sometimes I wonder if I hold CLT in such high regard simply because it was the first city to which I moved after leaving home (sort of like a first love); and other times I believe that CLT really is that good of a city. It’s a tricky thing to negotiate, because memory can make things so much rosier.

All of the characteristics you’ve noted are true. Despite what many people might say, CLT is a wonderful city with a lot to offer. The good news is that its economy is improving slowly but surely, and if you feel certain that it is not simply a fleeting homesickness that you’re feeling, there’s a good chance you can move back and find a better job. Remember – you can always return to a place that’s meaningful to you. I wish you a lot of luck and thanks again for sharing!
I, too, have moved , but to Roanoke, VA. Upon coming back from a visit to my family last year in Buffalo, NY, I had this overwhelming feeling of: "I'm HOME!" Where I used to live (where I grew up) was just that: where I used to reside. I LOVE it here. Now, my daughter wants to move South, but can't stand where I live. I'm pretty put out with VA's taxation system on retirees with out-of-state pensions, so we're looking at NC. She wants the big city and I want the small town, so we've got our work cut out for us as the 2 have to be within 30-40 min. from each other. Charlotte, itself, is out due to air quality. One of her kids has bad asthma. But we were thinking Concord? Does anyone know anything about it and it's schools? I'm interested in Kannapolis. I'm retired and looking for a laid back, quiet, semi-rural area with grocery stores, a few strip malls, maybe a plaza and a few places to eat. If they aren't right on top of you-that's good. I probably would rent an apt. for3-6 months (at least) and then buy a small house. Are there any other areas/cities you would recommend my looking into? The only other places we're looking into are Greensboro and either Burlington, Lexington or Mebane. Does anyone know anything about those places?

Old 05-30-2013, 04:40 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,669,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
My statement was in reference to NC. She indeed has plenty of choices outside of NC to consider.

You seem to not know much about what's going on in other areas of the country. I don't know if she's willing to move this far, but if she were to move to North Dakota where the big oil boom is occurring, she could likely have a job within a few weeks. Even so, I'm pretty sure she's already been applying and wouldn't move without a job lined up anyway.

I love Charlotte, but face facts: there are many other places doing better economically at this point in time. Don't fault people because they're doing what they need to do for their livelihoods.
Ehhhh... not sure a woman could move to N. Dakota and have a job in no time... and lets be real, its N. Dakota.

Now, I dont know about the rest of the country but too many times people think a place with a lower UE rate means instant job and thats not realistic. Its all about networking, industry, skill set and experience... as well as a little luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte