Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:04 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times

Advertisements

I'm a 25 year old from Long Island, my parents are looking to move down to Charlotte within the next year or two (my dad is retiring in March). They actually went down to look at some houses about a year ago (looking to have one built) At this point I'm not sure if I will move down with there or not, depends on the job I have at the time as cost of living costs here are rather expensive.

I know Charlotte has a strong financial field and its something I will likely get into shortly, so the job market shouldn't be a problem if I decide to move down there. however, as someone in my mid 20's I do occasionally go out to clubs and bars around here and was wondering what kind of nightlife the Charlotte area has especially when compared to LI & NYC.

Another issue is Politics. I pretty much typify your typical New York liberal Democrat, have done some volunteer work on some campaigns in the past around here. One thing I would like to possibly do is either work or have some type of career in Politics. How well would I fit in with my political views as a whole, and what kind of options & opportunities could be there as far as a political job & career in the Charlotte area for someone with my views?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 07:56 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,239,899 times
It sounds like you already live in the perfect town for you!

Old 11-03-2007, 10:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,083 times
Cool Massapequa Park compared to Charlotte

Smash 255:

I am a Southerner but I lived in Manhattan for 13 years and one year on Long Island, before I moved to Charlotte. I am very familiar with Long Island, having spent a lot of time there, primarily in Manhasset and a summers in Montauk. You will find the club scene in Charlotte is better than Long Island.
Charlotte's is generally more upscale than Long Island, especially the South Shore. At the same time, Charlotte's cannot compare in anyway to what you find in Manhattan.

The two things I miss the most regarding Long Island, are the neighborhood pubs and bars, and the beaches. There basically are no neighborhood bars in Charlotte that you can walk to, and the nearest beaches are hours away and cannot compare to Long Island.

There are some young liberal Democrats in this area, mostly in Charlotte.
The majority of people down here, especially in the suburbs, are white, Baptist, conservative Republicans. People are friendly, but it is kind of superficial. I have found it is hard to establish deep friendships.

Unfortunately, Charlotte has lost most of its Southern heritage. There are a lot of transplanted Northerners here, especially from the Buffalo and Pittsburg areas. You might get a few comments on your Yankee accent, but I don't think you will find any kind of discrimination due to politics or heritage.

The cost of living is great compared to Massapequa Park. Check the real estate listings and compare the cost of your parent's current home, to what you can get for the same money down here. Particulary, check Gaston County. It is a quick commute to Charlotte by car, and you can get a lot of house for $200,000 to $350,000.

Good luck.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:34 AM

8 posts, read 18,696 times
I have found more people from Long Island here than ever. I don't believe anyone will mention your Yankee accent since everyone is from the northern states anyway.
I was raised in Charlotte and have rarely heard a southern accent.

You should do nicely here with job opportunities and the social scene. I was never out of a job longer than a few weeks and I met my husband at a club and we've been married for close to 12 years.

Last edited by 2girlsmom; 11-03-2007 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-03-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Bruce View Post
Smash 255:

I am a Southerner but I lived in Manhattan for 13 years and one year on Long Island, before I moved to Charlotte. I am very familiar with Long Island, having spent a lot of time there, primarily in Manhasset and a summers in Montauk. You will find the club scene in Charlotte is better than Long Island.
Charlotte's is generally more upscale than Long Island, especially the South Shore. At the same time, Charlotte's cannot compare in anyway to what you find in Manhattan.

The two things I miss the most regarding Long Island, are the neighborhood pubs and bars, and the beaches. There basically are no neighborhood bars in Charlotte that you can walk to, and the nearest beaches are hours away and cannot compare to Long Island.

There are some young liberal Democrats in this area, mostly in Charlotte.
The majority of people down here, especially in the suburbs, are white, Baptist, conservative Republicans. People are friendly, but it is kind of superficial. I have found it is hard to establish deep friendships.

Unfortunately, Charlotte has lost most of its Southern heritage. There are a lot of transplanted Northerners here, especially from the Buffalo and Pittsburg areas. You might get a few comments on your Yankee accent, but I don't think you will find any kind of discrimination due to politics or heritage.

The cost of living is great compared to Massapequa Park. Check the real estate listings and compare the cost of your parent's current home, to what you can get for the same money down here. Particulary, check Gaston County. It is a quick commute to Charlotte by car, and you can get a lot of house for $200,000 to $350,000.

Good luck.
My Aunt & Uncle (mom's brother) who live in Levittown are likely to move there as well probably before my parents do. The cost of living is the big reason. My current house would probably sell for $525,000 and they would get a bigger brand new house down there for about 1/2 that. After real estate commissions, and paying off the rest of the mortgage would go into retirement with $100,000- $150.000. As for me I'm still undecided. The job I have now I likely wouldn't be able to afford to stay here, but have a few opportunities upcoming which would make things easier. The cost of living here is obviously much higher, but unless your getting ready to retire as my parents are its generally relative as salaries up here are generally higher as well.

Old 11-03-2007, 01:48 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2girlsmom View Post
I have found more people from Long Island here than ever. I don't believe anyone will mention your Yankee accent since everyone is from the northern states anyway.
I was raised in Charlotte and have rarely heard a southern accent.
I think you have summed this up perfectly Northerners are actually quite welcomed in Charlotte.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:20 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
.....I know Charlotte has a strong financial field and its something I will likely get into shortly, so the job market shouldn't be a problem if I decide to move down there. ....
Don't be so sure about that, unless you've a committment from someone....

Old 11-03-2007, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Don't be so sure about that, unless you've a committment from someone....
true, even up here in LI its not too easy. I have a few opportunities up here which could turn into something within the next month or two, but after getting out of college 3 years ago I went into the Mortgage market, and after awhile as the downturn hit I had to get out and went back to my old college retail job for the time being as I look for something better. Been doing it now longer than I thought I would.

however, my main point was referring to the type of market Charlotte is a financial and bank hub which is what I would likely be getting into in the near future up here. If I wind up with a great job up here that pays well I will be unlikely to leave especially if I don't have anything lined up. On the other hand if I just have a so-so job that I can just barely make ends meet (living on my own up here) I would consider moving own a bit more even if I didn't have anything line up.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:29 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,910,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
My current house would probably sell for $525,000 and they would get a bigger brand new house down there for about 1/2 that. After real estate commissions, and paying off the rest of the mortgage would go into retirement with $100,000- $150.000.
Smash, I've probably misunderstood you, but you didn't really mean to say that they could go into retirement with $100,000 to $150,000. You meant per year, right? Charlotte is cheaper than NY but there's no way a retiree can live here for much less than $100,000 a year.

As for politics, as a young Democrat, you can probably get into politics easier than if you tried to enter Republican politics. There's a lot more room for new comers in the Democratic Party than in the GOP.

Old 11-03-2007, 11:44 PM

43 posts, read 151,000 times
stay in li....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte