Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 11:24 AM

31 posts, read 139,119 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I would like to hear from any journeymen plumbers working in the Charlotte area, particulary commercial new construction work.
What salaries are you getting? benefits? Which Plumbing companies best to work for.
I see Cam-Ful Industries in Pineville is hiring. Any info on them?
I am a plumber moving to the area in the near future coming from Long Island and would greatly appreciate any info you can give me.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 11:29 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
Well, first off, bear in mind that there's very little union presence in NC, so hopefully you're not coming from the union in LI (or you'll be in for a rude awakening....lol). I can't help with actual salaries and benefits plans, but I can tell you that the hourly rates we see here in Atlanta for open shop commercial journeymen plumbers are slightly less that 1/2 of what a union journeyman plumber in NJ would be billed at. Charlotte's rates are very similar.

I'd say you're probably going to be in the $20/hour range, give or take a few $$, and benefits will likely only come from the largest companies.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:47 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,458,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Well, first off, bear in mind that there's very little union presence in NC, so hopefully you're not coming from the union in LI (or you'll be in for a rude awakening....lol). I can't help with actual salaries and benefits plans, but I can tell you that the hourly rates we see here in Atlanta for open shop commercial journeymen plumbers are slightly less that 1/2 of what a union journeyman plumber in NJ would be billed at. Charlotte's rates are very similar.

I'd say you're probably going to be in the $20/hour range, give or take a few $$, and benefits will likely only come from the largest companies.

Agreed. Commercial will obviously get you more money also.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:14 PM

1 posts, read 6,505 times
Default I Worked For Cfi (cam-ful Industries)

Hey LI Blues,

In reply to your questions about Charlotte NC and even more Cam-Ful Industries, I think I might be able to answer that better than anybody. I moved down to Charlotte last May with my job already lined up with CFI. I am born and raised in Long Island (Yaphank) and have worked commercial plumbing since I was 18. Cam-Ful Industries is originally from Syracusse NY and in almost every sense is probably the best company ever created. They are huge and do primarily the largest construction projects in the Charlotte metro region. I was hired on as a Foreman and enjoyed the hands off aproach in which they conduct business. They are huge on safety and have a program with Redwing boots where you can get a pair every year for $25 dollars. The pay scale is sorry if you are used to union wages in NY. I was hired @ $20per hour and was told that it was one of the highest salaries (journeyman between 17-20per hour) Cam-Ful is one of the highest down there and benefits are awesome and cheap. Here is the downside and one of the reasons why I moved my family back to Long Island....They want you to work 6 days a week around the clock. Its great if your used to working overtime already but I believe in workers rights and I have a young family which I like to be home for. All in all the salary isnt bad at all when you factor in the OT and if you run work youll get a nice Ford F-350 pick up to take home gas paid. I didnt like how different it was in the south and found that while the majority of southerners didnt mind northerners, there was enough of them who didnt like us....especially New Yorkers. I am well manored and dont have a strong NY accent and still got comments. There are a lot of people from different parts of the U.S. and they all have one thing in common...they dont like arrogant New Yorkers. My only advice is just to rent first so you can come back if you change your mind. I bought and lucky for me my house sold quick but the housing market is iffy and Id test the water before diving in. IT IS THE BELT BUCKLE OF THE BIBLE BELT...BE WARE. Let me know if you need employment in Long Island, I work for a very well reputable company that has never had anyone miss a day of work. Good luck with whatever you choose, most people dont come back but it was just too different for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte