Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2007, 06:23 PM

6 posts, read 24,866 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband just got a job offer in Charlotte Nc after trying for months locally- and we are really considering relocating. And if job growth is really slow here , this move is really worrying me... Pittsburgh is considered one of most livable cities in Us because it offers cheap housing in nice areas with decent schools -and I do not seem to find that in Charlotte...or maybe i do not know what to look for.

so in short I want to rent in an area with :
a)public transportation and walking to shops and parks -I do not drive or plan to learn how to drive soon.
b)that is safe and has decent schools
c) that is as cheap as possible - I do not imagine I could find a 3-4 bedroom in the $8-900 area like here, but I would want something around $1000, no more than $1250...

thanks
anamari
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 07:05 PM

95 posts, read 385,840 times
There are some neat neighborhoods that they are creating that you have everything in walking distance. Birkdale, Vermillion, Baxter Village or old neighborhoods like Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, etc.

Old 11-08-2007, 06:02 AM

120 posts, read 325,193 times
We lived in Pittsburgh (Coraopolis) for five years before moving to Charlotte 3 years ago. I actually found the house/rent prices to be cheaper here in Charlotte. I know that for those five years we rented at the Highlands of Montour Run and we were paying $1000 a month for a 900 square foot apartment. Here we actually rented a townhome with 800 more square feet and payed $100 less. Since you don't want to drive I would look into the uptown area or South Charlotte.
If you end up moving here please keep an open mind, things are for sure different here then they were in Pittsburgh. Charlotte is much more diverse and feels more like a city. Whereas Pittsburgh felt like a really big small town, if that makes sense.

Old 11-08-2007, 10:09 AM

2,445 posts, read 7,449,778 times
Quote:
There are some neat neighborhoods that they are creating that you have everything in walking distance. Birkdale, Vermillion, Baxter Village or old neighborhoods like Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, etc.
I was thinking the same thing! AnamariB - Baxter Village in Fort Mill, SC may be what you are looking for. It has homes, stores, a library, an elementary school, YMCA and an urgent care center.

Old 11-08-2007, 03:25 PM

NCGirl and LKN -thanks for the suggestions.
I looked at Baxter Village and given the house prices I think that is not within our budget. I' ll look into the other ones as well

GoodbyePA

Hmm, you could of got something much more cheaper here...
I am not worried about diversity or big cities -A) I am a city girl B) I am an European city girl - were I come from, living in an urban area is quite a different experience than Pittsburgh...
But my husband, he is a suburban Pittsburgh native - he likes quiet areas, big backyards and does not like diversity too much...It is hard for him to relocate, and I have my doubts too - I finally got to love Pittsburgh, meet people that I like, and figure out what areas are safe, bus friendly and great to raise children - we have 3.
But he had no serious job offers since he lost his job in February, so I guess we have to move were the jobs are...

That being said , I think I'd love to live Uptown , but I wonder how is he going to adjust, and if that is a nice are to raise children - by nice I mean lower crime rate, safe streets , parks, other children to interact with ....

Old 11-08-2007, 04:34 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamariB View Post
NCGirl and LKN -thanks for the suggestions.
I looked at Baxter Village and given the house prices I think that is not within our budget. I' ll look into the other ones as well

GoodbyePA

Hmm, you could of got something much more cheaper here...
I am not worried about diversity or big cities -A) I am a city girl B) I am an European city girl - were I come from, living in an urban area is quite a different experience than Pittsburgh...
But my husband, he is a suburban Pittsburgh native - he likes quiet areas, big backyards and does not like diversity too much...It is hard for him to relocate, and I have my doubts too - I finally got to love Pittsburgh, meet people that I like, and figure out what areas are safe, bus friendly and great to raise children - we have 3.
But he had no serious job offers since he lost his job in February, so I guess we have to move were the jobs are...

That being said , I think I'd love to live Uptown , but I wonder how is he going to adjust, and if that is a nice are to raise children - by nice I mean lower crime rate, safe streets , parks, other children to interact with ....

You have a problem I'm afraid - you cannot live in the more urban uptown areas for what you want to pay in rent. To get a house under $1000 in a safe area will be very tough. For cheaper house rents you would need to live in the outer areas or in one of the neighboring counties.

So, do you want to up the amount you'll pay for rent, or can you take living out a ways?

Where is the job location for the new job? It is in your best interests to live on the side of town your husband will be working in - even if it is the next county over, but still on the same side of Charlotte.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:58 AM

11 posts, read 48,520 times
From Pittsburgh to Charlotte...

Well, we too came from the Pittsburgh area before coming to Charlotte...

One person commented that he or she thought that Charlotte was more of a city than Pittsburgh; well, we always make fun of Charlotte because we think it is a city want-to-be. That is only my opinion, though.

Charlotte will be quite an adjustment from PA. Um, I personally don't see a possiblility of living within in the city at your price range, unless you want to live somewhere that won't be the safest place in the world...It would also be more diverse than what you're probably used to in the Pittsburgh city limits.

Charlotte is a lot more "urban" than Pittsburgh, and I suspect that if your huband is a true, die-hard Pittsburgher, it will be really hard to live here.

I don't know how into the arts, etc. that you are, but Pittsburgh offers such great museums and cultural opportunities that Charlotte just doesn't have.

I would say that you will sacrifice an established city for better job opportunites.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:30 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,258,901 times
Pittsburgh has one of nicest skylines of any US city at night. Much nicer than Charlotte's.

Old 12-21-2007, 09:55 AM

Tank you all for your replies, especially lovesMountains (I wished we were neighbours)....

The same week he was supposed to sign with the Charlotte company my husband got a similar offer from a local company so we stay. So we got busy unpacking and getting my husband started on his new job
Sometimes, like during this very last, very cold days I still regret not moving to a colder place. But most of the times I am happy here. And I suspect my husband is a lot happier he did not have to leave- he is a true, die-hard Pittsburgher.

Happy Holydays to all (in Charlotte) !!!

Old 12-21-2007, 10:04 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnamariB View Post
Tank you all for your replies, especially lovesMountains (I wished we were neighbours)....

The same week he was supposed to sign with the Charlotte company my husband got a similar offer from a local company so we stay. So we got busy unpacking and getting my husband started on his new job
Sometimes, like during this very last, very cold days I still regret not moving to a colder place. But most of the times I am happy here. And I suspect my husband is a lot happier he did not have to leave- he is a true, die-hard Pittsburgher.

Happy Holydays to all (in Charlotte) !!!
Merry Christmas Anamari!! So glad it all worked out for your family!! I know how hard it can be to leave "home"

Maybe you can help me now? I have the reverse problem sort of...

I will send you a dm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte