Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:18 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,767,541 times

Advertisements

Interesting news day. I'm torn on this one. My first thought is M.L.K but I doubt he would have been allowed to serve to begin with.

Quote:
An Episcopal priest is barred from ministering to inmates at the Mecklenburg County jail because she was arrested during a “Moral Monday” protest at the state legislature.
Mecklenburg removes jail chaplain after her ‘Moral Monday’ arrest | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 07:27 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
As Sammy Davis Jr. used to sing "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time." She should have been aware there would be consequences to getting arrested.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:41 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,573,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
As Sammy Davis Jr. used to sing "Don't do the crime, if you can't do the time." She should have been aware there would be consequences to getting arrested.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:48 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,657,698 times
typical... NC is getting a rep and it's not a good one.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:37 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,656,099 times
I hope she gets the charge expunged, and is able to serve again. I hate that obedience is valued more than the service she provides, and apparently, arrests aren't considered on a one-by-one basis for serving in the jail. It's very silly to exclude her for this charge.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:54 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
I am torn on this one, too.

I believe 100% in non-violent civil disobedience.

I also can understand what the Sheriff is saying about this role being under his office and purview. Maintaining control over incarcerated people includes setting an example, respecting the badge, etc.

The thing about civil disobedience that I don't know if folks always think through . . . there can be consequences, and that is something that needs to be weighed carefully b/f engaging in any type of protest. If there are going to be arrests, there is always the possibility that anyone there can be arrested. There is a formula that must be followed (getting permits, for example - and how to avoid engaging law enforcement).

I don't find this worthy of a news story, frankly. This is essentially a personnel issue.

Old 07-10-2013, 09:34 AM

106 posts, read 194,147 times
I wish people would learn to distinguish between being arrested and being convicted of a crime. I never understood why modern Americans are so happy to surrender their rights to the state.

This individual has not had a chance to address the charges made against her in the court. The police might have jumped the gun and violated her rights. It wouldn't be the first time. Until that happens, I think it is absolutely wrong for the church and for Mecklenburg to take punitive actions against her.

--------------------

Aside from the constitutional and legal issues with this, I think it is a horrible waste of police resources to arrest someone like this when there is so much real violent crime out there. It's disgusting.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:02 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,920,209 times
I've got no problem with her removal. If she deems her actions to be more important than following the directives of a law enforcement officer, she has no right to be in a prison environment that bases its potential for disruptive behavior on ones ability to follow the direction of a LEO.

Now if her congregation wanted to remove her from her position due to the arrest, that's a whole different argument. I just don't think she should be in a prison environment based on her actions.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:56 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,624,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cltlilly View Post
I wish people would learn to distinguish between being arrested and being convicted of a crime. I never understood why modern Americans are so happy to surrender their rights to the state.

This individual has not had a chance to address the charges made against her in the court. The police might have jumped the gun and violated her rights. It wouldn't be the first time. Until that happens, I think it is absolutely wrong for the church and for Mecklenburg to take punitive actions against her.

--------------------

Aside from the constitutional and legal issues with this, I think it is a horrible waste of police resources to arrest someone like this when there is so much real violent crime out there. It's disgusting.
Oh, I understand the difference, having been arrested many more times than I've been convicted. NC is an "at will" employment state so the employer doesn't need much of a reason at all to get rid of you.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:00 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,522,604 times
A good diversion never hurts huh?

http://www.grnc.org/grnc-alerts-arch...-permit-abuses
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte