Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 01:13 PM

5 posts, read 4,474 times

Advertisements

Hey ya'll. I live in VA and have an interview tomorrow at 6:30PM in the NODA/Villa Heights area of Charlotte.

I am going to be driving south on 77 (from Virginia, obviously). The last thing I want is to be late, but I'm very unfamiliar with Charlotte traffic and the city in general, although I travel back and forth to Mooresville every now and then. Mapquest is putting me at about 2.5 hours out.. how much time should I allow for traffic, either on the interstate or within Charlotte itself? I was planning on leaving here around 3PM, giving me 3.5 hours to make my appt. - an extra hour over mapquest estimates. Is that sufficient?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 01:16 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,893,773 times
You will be in rush hour traffic in NODA just before your interview. I would come down here around 4PM and hang out in NODA for your interview. Amelie's is perfect to read over your materials before the interview.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:17 PM

328 posts, read 618,953 times
I hate to tell you to add more time, but 77 can get backed up around Charlotte, and you'll be close to rush hour. The benefit is that you'll be moving opposite traffic; however, getting into NoDa once you're off the highway, you'll get stuck in some traffic. I'd give yourself 4 hours just to be safe, but you'll likely be okay in 3.5.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
You will be in rush hour traffic in NODA just before your interview. I would come down here around 4PM and hang out in NODA for your interview. Amelie's is perfect to read over your materials before the interview.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
I hate to tell you to add more time, but 77 can get backed up around Charlotte, and you'll be close to rush hour. The benefit is that you'll be moving opposite traffic; however, getting into NoDa once you're off the highway, you'll get stuck in some traffic. I'd give yourself 4 hours just to be safe, but you'll likely be okay in 3.5.
Thanks for the replies! I don't get off work in VA until 2:30 but I'm going to try to leave straight away and give myself a full four hours. I was also afraid of having TOO much time to kill - again, not familiar with the area and don't want to get turned around/lost looking for a cafe or something. Thanks for the suggestion of Amelie's!

Do either of you know what the parking situation is in that area? Mostly street, lot, or is it metered? I'm going specifically to 28th street.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:44 PM

Depends -where on 28th Street?

I really agree with the Amelie's suggestion. It's the perfect spot for you to get a coffee/snack before your interview. And it is one of the nicest spots in CLT.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:20 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,411,640 times
I would agree with leaving as soon as you can. I'd guesstimate it will probably take about 3 hours, but you never know if there's an accident, etc. And even though you'd think you'd be going opposite of traffic most of the way, I've gotten caught in evening rush hour traffic coming south from Mooresville more times than I would like.

Amelie's is probably a good suggestion. And if I'm reading the map correctly, it looks like it is right around the corner from 28th street (which again if I'm reading the map correctly only looks to be about 2 blocks long). It does look like a lot of the buildings around there have parking lots, albeit maybe not a ton of spaces. Amelie's itself has a parking lot, so worst case you may be able to leave your car there and walk to the interview (although I have no idea how strict they are about their lot).

Old 08-04-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast127 View Post
Depends -where on 28th Street?

I really agree with the Amelie's suggestion. It's the perfect spot for you to get a coffee/snack before your interview. And it is one of the nicest spots in CLT.
I'm headed to 617 East 28th. I tried to Google map "street view" and I didn't see street parking... the area also looked kind of run-down. But the images were taken in 2011, so I suppose (hope) it could be a bit better now.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:09 PM

461 posts, read 991,089 times
Actually, Amelie's is RIGHT THERE. You will probably be good to park there. Zoom down on the Google map and you'll see. Your destination is literally the building behind it.

Last edited by lanigan911; 08-04-2013 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: added

Old 08-04-2013, 04:19 PM

Yeah - definitely park at Amelie's since it is totally right around the corner. What good luck! And I wouldn't worry about being towed or anything - especially if you stop by before and get a coffee (although they'd never know if you didn't - that parking lot is shared by a few other businesses, too).

Old 08-04-2013, 04:21 PM

The area looks run-down, but that's sort of its aesthetic. There are tons of great spots in buildings that still look industrial/run-down (art galleries, other coffee shops, restaurants, and a few breweries).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte