Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 07:33 PM

24 posts, read 32,183 times

Advertisements

Hi! We will be relocating to Charlotte area in few months. Husband has a job relo and I am in the medical field (Np). Any suggestions on places to live near Charlotte (would buy house in $250,000-$275,000 range). We are coming from Chicago suburbs. Want to live in a younger area (we're 28yo, no kids yet, but want good schools). Want a hipster city feel, coffe shops, good food, public transport avail. (even though well have cars). Any advice is greatly appreciated, as I am not familiar w area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 09:09 PM

24 posts, read 32,183 times
For those from Chi, would also consider a neighborhood that is comparable to Naperville, Oakpark. Something w cute dt. Thanks!

Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,036,775 times
Hi, and welcome to Charlotte...
First, need to let you know that there are really not neighbourhoods like you are used to here. And, the public transportation is quite sad here. Unless you move to the S. side, you really cannot plan to use the public transportation for anything. (remember, I am comparing to the CTA here) However, they are building a light rail to the University area which will give you a direct route from north Charlotte to the south side via the train...(with downtown in the middle).

If you are looking at something to compare to Naperville, try Mooresville. It is about 30-45 minutes outside of Charlotte city limits and is probably as close to something that you are used to as we have. HOWEVER, traffic here, although not nearly as bad as the Kennedy, is more annoying as people all try to drive like they used to where-ever they came from...and, that is not good. So, you probably will want to design your living area to be relatively close to where you work. Unlike the Chicago area, we do NOT have good public transportation to everywhere and it really will be a nightmare to commute long distances.

Another area, however, not even comparing to Naperville would be NoDa. Don't know about the schools, however. That can be a crapshoot no matter where you go.

As a long time resident of Charlotte, but, originally from Chicago (Logan Square), I can probably answer any questions that you might have. Let me know how I can help.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:51 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,342,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
Hi, and welcome to Charlotte...
First, need to let you know that there are really not neighbourhoods like you are used to here. And, the public transportation is quite sad here. Unless you move to the S. side, you really cannot plan to use the public transportation for anything. (remember, I am comparing to the CTA here) However, they are building a light rail to the University area which will give you a direct route from north Charlotte to the south side via the train...(with downtown in the middle).

If you are looking at something to compare to Naperville, try Mooresville. It is about 30-45 minutes outside of Charlotte city limits and is probably as close to something that you are used to as we have. HOWEVER, traffic here, although not nearly as bad as the Kennedy, is more annoying as people all try to drive like they used to where-ever they came from...and, that is not good. So, you probably will want to design your living area to be relatively close to where you work. Unlike the Chicago area, we do NOT have good public transportation to everywhere and it really will be a nightmare to commute long distances.

Another area, however, not even comparing to Naperville would be NoDa. Don't know about the schools, however. That can be a crapshoot no matter where you go.

As a long time resident of Charlotte, but, originally from Chicago (Logan Square), I can probably answer any questions that you might have. Let me know how I can help.
Mooresville is NOTHING like Naperville. Try Davidson or even NoDa

Old 08-08-2013, 05:19 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,292,682 times
Unfortunately hipster neighborhoods and good schools do not coincide here, at least in your price range. Plaza Midwood and Noda have poor neighborhood schools however we have many very good magnet programs you can apply for. That is what many parents in these areas do. Dilworth and Elizabeth are ideal but too pricey.
You could consider the Ballantyne area and Matthews - both have some of the county's better schools. In your price range also check out the Olde Providence neighborhood closer to the city than Ballantyne. Excellent schools for an affordable price. There is an express bus (rush hour only).

Old 08-08-2013, 06:46 AM

328 posts, read 616,204 times
I agree that Dilworth and Elizabeth are likely up your alley, but usually pricey. That's definitely not to say you can't find a deal there (I've known both renters and owners who have), but it'll take some digging and a little luck. Neither of them have a "downtown" feeling, but both have nice coffee shops, parks, some independent stores (Dilworth) and, compared to the rest of CLT, are pretty walkable.

Farther out, as someone above has mentioned, is Davidson. That certainly has a charming downtown and is a really lovely small college town. It does feel a little far from CLT (about 30 mins), depending on how close you want to be to the city.

Oh! And Concord is another option. Much more suburban, but it does have a thriving historic downtown with a lovely greenway and similar amenities. About the same distance as Davidson. Likely your most affordable option.

Last edited by eastcoast127; 08-08-2013 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: added Concord

Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
We live in a semi "hipster" area and relied on the magnet program to save us from poor neighborhood schools.

We ARE however, in a good high school district (Myers Park). Using magnets requires a leap of faith. It was easier for us however since we saved so much money on our (urban) home we budgeted for a one BR apartment in a good school district if needed. We didn't need it.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:17 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,342,588 times
Agree with almost everything said so far, although I don't really know anything about Chicago and I can't tell if you want a suburb or closer-in.

I'd say Dilworth is the closest to meeting all the criteria, but there will be slim pickens in your price range and even then you'll probably get about 1,000 square feet. Doing a quick search I see one active listing under $285,000 - an as-is sale suggesting a tear-down for $224K (there are 2 under contract around $250K so there might be a couple that pop up now and then). I don't see anything below $360K in Elizabeth.

As others have said if you take out the school requirement and/or rely on magnet schools you will have a couple more options closer in.

If you take out the public transportation requirement (although there might be an express bus), Davidson would probably be the next closest, but again, slim pickens in your price range. If you like Davidson, one option could be Antiquity in Cornelius which is a new community that is probably walkable to downtown Davidson. Hope you're not a big fan of trees if you move there though.

Mooresville probably would be a decent fit, but again no public transportation and if you have to commute uptown that could be a pain, and it is more of a family town and not young and hipster.

I'm not sure if I really understand the fascination with "cute downtowns," but as you have probably figured out, the Charlotte area doesn't have very many of them, and I think a lot of New Englanders and such that are used to them are often underwhelmed by the ones here. A couple others that may meet some of your criteria include Belmont, Matthews and Waxhaw.

One option could maybe be Pineville. Pretty good schools, close to the light rail, and affordable. There is a downtown but probably not what you're used to.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:43 AM

84 posts, read 209,872 times
Plaza Midwood, Plaza Midwood, Plaza Midwood. Good homes in your price range, decent magnet and private schools nearby, and 10 minutes from the middle of uptown. Coffee shops and little restaurants galore, as well as vintage stores and good bars. Seriously, Plaza Midwood.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:50 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsaychicago View Post
Hi! We will be relocating to Charlotte area in few months. Husband has a job relo and I am in the medical field (Np). Any suggestions on places to live near Charlotte (would buy house in $250,000-$275,000 range). We are coming from Chicago suburbs. Want to live in a younger area (we're 28yo, no kids yet, but want good schools). Want a hipster city feel, coffe shops, good food, public transport avail. (even though well have cars). Any advice is greatly appreciated, as I am not familiar w area.
Where is your husband's job locaed? The area of Charlotte could have a bearing on where you look. You might be working in Charlotte or somewhere outside of Charlotte.

Look at Belmont in Gaston County. There's a nice downtown. It is not hipster-oriented. It is much more centrally located than some of the towns that have been mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte