Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 09:55 AM

834 posts, read 1,018,784 times

Advertisements

Someone gave this rep message from one of my posts in this thread: "What a load of crap. Clearly the Maiden school system failed you."

Evidently I went through the same inferior education system they likely did and I don't know and communicate with poor and/or homeless people.

I know what I'm talking about because I've been inside the homeless system both in America and Europe, voluntarily, a lot since I was a kid; I also come from farmers and generations of poor(real poor, not wahh I only make 40k poor).

I know how they travel, where they stop along the way, how they eat, how they hide things, how they communicate, how they make money. I'm sure some angry soccer kid who went strait into suburban yuppie adulthood after leaving the college their parents paid for has more enlightenment on the subject though.

If we want to know about how to play golf and make a living off mediocrity supported by social networking we'll make a thread about it tod..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 09:58 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,665,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Someone gave this rep message from one of my posts in this thread: "What a load of crap. Clearly the Maiden school system failed you."

Evidently I went through the same inferior education system they likely did and I don't know and communicate with poor and/or homeless people.

I know what I'm talking about because I've been inside the homeless system both in America and Europe, voluntarily, a lot since I was a kid; I also come from farmers and generation of poor(real poor, not wahh I only make 40k poor).

I know how they travel, where they stop along the way, how they eat, how they hide things, how they communicate, how they make money. I'm sure some angry soccer kid who went strait into suburban yuppie adulthood after leaving the college their parents paid for has more enlightenment on the subject though..
dude.. or lady.... you have some serious issues with soccer.

Sorry but I noticed the majority of your post always has a line about soccer kids or soccer moms.

What did suburban soccer do to you?

Old 08-13-2013, 10:16 AM

834 posts, read 1,018,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
dude.. or lady.... you have some serious issues with soccer.

Sorry but I noticed the majority of your post always has a line about soccer kids or soccer moms.

What did suburban soccer do to you?

Yeah because the typical person here is from a housing development or gated community where kids play soccer or baseball till they go to college. These people are sheltered and only have the linear thinking morals their pseudo-conservative class driven parents give/gave them. If someone is going to drop bottom lines and information they at least need the experience to back it up or else it's just trolling and misinformation..

Old 08-13-2013, 03:59 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,915,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
One of my friends got assaulted by a homeless person during her first visit in Charlotte. All she wanted was to help and have a nice conversation with one of them (so she would not ignore them like most of us). Needles to say that it is probably last time she will directly attempt to be nice to them.
I also realized this was an exception since most of them are not aggressive.

I think it brings down the image of our uptown big time, making it less desirable for tourists.
I realize that homeless need a place to hang around, but downtown should not be the first option.
This is the reason that I never give them cash when I walk in downtown (don't want to encourage them to stay there), prefer to donate direct to shelters, etc.
I agree, I think the large amount of bums in the uptown/downtown area really brings down the city. I did not feel safe toward the end of my trip as I began to realize how many of them were around and trying to engage me while I was out jogging. I'm a young woman and I found myself doing constant 360s because I was creeped out by a lot of them. They would stare at me and even one old man was talking loudly about me to the rest of the bums as I walked by. Not a good look. It makes me wonder what Charlotte is *really* like outside of Bank of America and the South Park Mall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
The bums I see cluttering our streets are homeless for many reasons and I'm sure data and statistics
are not telling the entire story. What pisses me off the most is that as American's we can help each other, so tell why are we send BILLIONS of DOLLARS to aide foreign countries and foreign enemies and we can't feed, clothed & shelter our own poor?
Agreed. No one has to be homeless for long. If I run out of options, I'll head straight to North Dakota or wherever the recent boom town is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJT View Post
Yeah because the typical person here is from a housing development or gated community where kids play soccer or baseball till they go to college. These people are sheltered and only have the linear thinking morals their pseudo-conservative class driven parents give/gave them. If someone is going to drop bottom lines and information they at least need the experience to back it up or else it's just trolling and misinformation..

This is so uncalled for. Who cares if that is the majority of people? Why must you speak negatively of people with a different upbringing than yourself? Get over it. You wish you had that. Stop resenting those that did have it that way.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:50 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,284,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

Agreed. No one has to be homeless for long. If I run out of options, I'll head straight to North Dakota or wherever the recent boom town is.
I will never pass judgment on another person's condition without having walked in their shoes. It's amazing how things seem so simple until we're actually experiencing a similar human crisis....it can happen to anybody.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:56 PM

128 posts, read 222,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I will never pass judgment on another person's condition without having walked in their shoes. It's amazing how things seem so simple until we're actually experiencing a similar human crisis....it can happen to anybody.
I've heard that for most people to become homeless they need to have at least 3 things in their lives go wrong - this could be things like job loss, medical bills or crisis (for yourself or your children), eviction, loss of a relationship where a person was dependent on the another for basic financial support, domestic violence, PTSD, loss of identification (ie birth certificate or license), someone being "kicked out" of their family because of their sexual orientation or because they dated someone of a different race, mental illness, and drug addiction among other things. A lot of folks (like those who mentioned going to North Dakota to find a job) have the resources (financial, familial, relational) to bounce back even if they experience "situational" homelessness. But, for many folks who have the triple wammy of the above problems (and more) they do need support to move into stability.

The cost to society is not just in "I feel nervous" but in actual costs for the city. I was just looking for the data but couldn't find it on Urban Ministry Center website, but they studied the cost of a small number of chronically homeless folks and the costs in medical care and police interaction were incredibly costly - above a million dollars for a few folks who used these services most intensely. That's why supportive housing (where homeless folks are surrounded by case management), drug treatment (ie at Rebound or Hope Haven) and the emphasis on getting folks really quickly into "stable" housing by providing assistance with the costs of renting an apartment (ie deposits) are really very helpful and cost effective. Of these programs where I have volunteered at - I've been impressed by the high expectations that they have of their clients (or "neighbors" in Urban Ministry speak.)

If you ask the folks at Urban Ministry Center they don't advise giving folks cash, but instead referring them to places where they can receive appropriate counseling. To those who want to run from downtown - I recommend running in the Elizabeth and Dilworth neighborhoods.

Whenever I've spent time at these non-profits I've always left with a "there but for the grace of God" feeling.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,600,169 times
Pear, those people you see, they aren't homeless, they're hipsters. The reason you see so many of them is because they are currently between jobs and the right opportunity hasn't presented itsself yet. That would also explain why so many of them were drinking alcohol from a paperbag, because it's actually Pabst Blue Ribbon, you just can't see the label.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:56 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,915,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Pear, those people you see, they aren't homeless, they're hipsters. The reason you see so many of them is because they are currently between jobs and the right opportunity hasn't presented itsself yet. That would also explain why so many of them were drinking alcohol from a paperbag, because it's actually Pabst Blue Ribbon, you just can't see the label.

I live in hipster country (Boston, MA Allston/Brighton) and I can tell the difference. These were mostly men in their 30s-60s anyways and most Hipsters are teens-30s.

Good joke tho I can't stand hipsters.

Old 08-14-2013, 07:09 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,665,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I agree, I think the large amount of bums in the uptown/downtown area really brings down the city. I did not feel safe toward the end of my trip as I began to realize how many of them were around and trying to engage me while I was out jogging. I'm a young woman and I found myself doing constant 360s because I was creeped out by a lot of them. They would stare at me and even one old man was talking loudly about me to the rest of the bums as I walked by. Not a good look. It makes me wonder what Charlotte is *really* like outside of Bank of America and the South Park Mall.

This is so uncalled for. Who cares if that is the majority of people? Why must you speak negatively of people with a different upbringing than yourself? Get over it. You wish you had that. Stop resenting those that did have it that way.
Oh... so your kind cant be judged but the "bums" are fair game? Smh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte