Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 07:27 PM

3,426 posts, read 8,910,845 times

Advertisements

I just spent four days in Charlotte and loved it. After doing some light research, it seems like Charlotte has a huge homeless problem. There were also usually homeless looking people all over downtown in the mornings when I went for runs.

It seems there are also a lot of homeless youth/school children in Charlotte. Why is this?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 07:58 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,961,623 times
I haven't seen very many homeless people in my area of Charlotte or in Monroe for that matter.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:12 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
I just spent four days in Charlotte and loved it. After doing some light research, it seems like Charlotte has a huge homeless problem. There were also usually homeless looking people all over downtown in the mornings when I went for runs.

It seems there are also a lot of homeless youth/school children in Charlotte. Why is this?

Thanks
How many per block, on average, would you say there are?

Old 08-11-2013, 08:23 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,397,613 times
Is there?

You have no references, no quotes, nothing.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:31 PM

128 posts, read 222,455 times
Hi,
One of the large shelters in Charlotte - the Men's Shelter of Charlotte is just north of downtown. First thing in the morning - I believe it's at 6am - the folks who spent the night there depart the shelter. I believe that they ask everyone to leave the building for a time so that they can clean it and set up for the next night. They and the Urban Ministry Center, also on North Tryon, serve lunch every day. So, if you were out running at the time the shelter has just closed, or when folks are going to lunch, you probably did see a bunch of homeless folk. The most recent estimate I've heard is that there are around 700 chronically homeless folks in Charlotte. This report Solve the Puzzle Charlotte | Facts estimates around 2400 people who don't have shelter each night. I'm sure that they are counting those in shelters, in the transitional housing that currently is available for folks who are homeless, and those who are sleeping on friend's couches. Why are there a lot of homeless in Charlotte? I don't actually know if there are more or fewer homeless here than in other cities. The same desire for a new start and for new opportunities that results in lots of "moving to Charlotte" threads is true among low income people as well. But, it can go pretty tragically wrong if the job doesn't appear or if the job doesn't really pay enough for the down payment on an apartment. We also know that veterans constitute a considerable percentage of homeless individuals.

The organizations in Charlotte responding to homelessness in Charlotte are really doing some innovative and interesting things. I would encourage you to explore the website above for more information to educate yourself or to get involved.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,521,531 times
It is a large issue in the community. A quick google search will take you to numerous resources. The website for a Child's Place will also give startling stats.

Old 08-11-2013, 08:32 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,185,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post

Thanks
School is out for the summer.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:16 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,322,543 times
Homeless people? Problem? Where?

Old 08-11-2013, 09:50 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,743,435 times
Just out of curiosity when I saw this post, I found this:

City’s homeless families increase for third year | CharlotteObserver.com

QUOTE: A new U.S. Conference of Mayors report reveals Charlotte’s population of homeless families grew by 23 percent last year, one of the highest percentage increases among the 25 cities participating in the survey.

Only San Antonio and Norfolk, Va., posted higher gains, both 25 percent.

QUOTE: Meanwhile, families experiencing homelessness increased 1.4 percent across the nation, HUD reports.[LEFT]
Read more here: City’s homeless families increase for third year | CharlotteObserver.com

Read more here: City’s homeless families increase for third year | CharlotteObserver.com
[/LEFT]

[LEFT]A new U.S. Conference of Mayors report reveals Charlotte’s population of homeless families grew by 23 percent last year, one of the highest percentage increases among the 25 cities participating in the survey.
Only San Antonio and Norfolk, Va., posted higher gains, both 25 percent.[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
A new U.S. Conference of Mayors report reveals Charlotte’s population of homeless families grew by 23 percent last year, one of the highest percentage increases among the 25 cities participating in the survey.Only San Antonio and Norfolk, Va., posted higher gains, both

[/LEFT]

Old 08-11-2013, 10:17 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,206,442 times
They arent homeless. They are just stand in part time actors for THE WALKING DEAD TV SHOW. You can often see them rehearsing their parts late a night on dark side streets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte