Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,808,636 times

Advertisements

Yes, this is a rant. Why do we have the most ridiculous airfares out of Charlotte?, especially the nonstop flights. Im sorry, but $450.00 and up is not going to fly. Why not connect you ask? I would, but traveling with an elder/senior citizen. Just more convenient with a non-stop flight. A non-stop flight should be no more than $350 or $375 max. Just unreal with the prices...thats all. Okay, rant is over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM

642 posts, read 1,171,139 times
I agree. Air fares ex-CLT have gone up by a ridiculous amount of late. Perhaps this is why the Dept. of Justice is suing US Airwars and AMR with the intent of stopping their merger. The DoJ says that they are doing this because a single huge ailine would cause fares to rise and reduced services.

U.S. sues to block AMR-US Airways merger; stocks fall | Reuters.com

Old 08-14-2013, 12:14 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,169,425 times
To keep my costs low, I book one way and use the intended destination as a connection airport.
Only thing is to make sure I have no checked bags.

Old 08-14-2013, 12:21 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,626,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
To keep my costs low, I book one way and use the intended destination as a connection airport.
Only thing is to make sure I have no checked bags.
How does that work for the return trip? I thought if you tried that trick by getting on the plane in the "middle" airport that your ticket was cancelled since you didn't get on at the first airport.

Example: A flight is cheaper from Cleveland to Charlotte with a stop in Pittsburgh. If you don't get on in Cleveland, I thought your ticket would be cancelled or your seat given away so you wouldn't be able to get on in Pittsburgh.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
How does that work for the return trip? I thought if you tried that trick by getting on the plane in the "middle" airport that your ticket was cancelled since you didn't get on at the first airport.

Example: A flight is cheaper from Cleveland to Charlotte with a stop in Pittsburgh. If you don't get on in Cleveland, I thought your ticket would be cancelled or your seat given away so you wouldn't be able to get on in Pittsburgh.
As I said, I book one way trips - since I have the same question you have...

It is also easier to go to Charlotte (real final destination) while booked as connecting airport, than say Buffalo, since there are not that many connecting flights from smaller airports.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:09 PM

162 posts, read 217,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Yes, this is a rant. Why do we have the most ridiculous airfares out of Charlotte?, especially the nonstop flights. Im sorry, but $450.00 and up is not going to fly. Why not connect you ask? I would, but traveling with an elder/senior citizen. Just more convenient with a non-stop flight. A non-stop flight should be no more than $350 or $375 max. Just unreal with the prices...thats all. Okay, rant is over.

You're really lucky to get a $450 flight from/to CLT to be honest. It sucks but thats how it is. US Airways controls over 70% of the gates/business at CLT. So any competition is only slightly cheaper than US. Southwest has dropped the prices at CLT.

To the others: What is being discussed is "hidden city ticketing" That is where your intended destination is actually the location that is scheduled to be connected. This would be for trips that involve say ORD-CLT-RDU. Your destination is CLT. In doing that you have to: only use carry-ons/no gate checked to final destinations, and buy one way tickets. [Otherwise your ticket could be canceled for doing that].

If you are "commuting" to your airport [I.e. a ticket of GSP-CLT-BUF (It will be cheaper than CLT-BUF)] you cannot, and I repeat CANNOT get on the plane at CLT. You are considered a no show at GSP, and your ticket has been canceled.

Old 08-14-2013, 08:33 PM

80 posts, read 170,757 times
What are other risks in using the above method? I can't recall any connection city being switched (apart from weather) but I assume there is a possibility of that happening, correct?

Old 08-14-2013, 09:11 PM

162 posts, read 217,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean22 View Post
What are other risks in using the above method? I can't recall any connection city being switched (apart from weather) but I assume there is a possibility of that happening, correct?
I forgot to mention.

So if you're doing

CLT-IAH-MSY [Charlotte to NOLA... via Huston] because you want to go to Huston they have no obligation to route you through Huston. You could end up going to ORD, or IAD as a result to connect. You won't be able to tell the agent that they have to get you to Huston. Your ticket is to NOLA, they're responsible for getting you there. Possbile causes: Overbooking, equipment changes, delays [causing a miss connect], weather causing an issue at CLT, on the way to IAH, or at Huston. You could even run into the issue with an ground/airstop in IAH. Another issue: Presidential airspace. Bill Clinton is going to Huston... hello delay.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:29 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,399,515 times
That sounds reasonable to me.

The airline industry has been hit hard by rising cost yet people expect prices to not rise. Not only that, you're paying for convenience, speed & much higher fuel cost plus non-stop.

Most cities, you have to connect anyway (Pittsburg, Raleigh, St. Louis, Kansas City, Etc) so that ticket sounds reasonable. What needs to happen is higher wages and/or better train service.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
That sounds reasonable to me.

The airline industry has been hit hard by rising cost yet people expect prices to not rise. Not only that, you're paying for convenience, speed & much higher fuel cost plus non-stop.

Most cities, you have to connect anyway (Pittsburg, Raleigh, St. Louis, Kansas City, Etc) so that ticket sounds reasonable. What needs to happen is higher wages and/or better train service.
Looking at the airplane tickets in USA vs Europe, I see that we pay unreasonable high cost here.
I wish we had the high speed trains they have...or better highways for unlimited speed (like the autobahns in Germany).

Also, higher wages = higher overall cost
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte